A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anybody from the Southwest of England?  (Read 13757 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Keletubbie

Knittin' like I mean it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2006 08:59:12 AM »

If you're coming as far as Bristol, Fabricland is worth a look.

www.fabricland.co.u k

They have a fairly high turn over of stock, are reasoably helpful and stock a decent core range. There are quite a few small fabric shops dotted around the city too though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my blog. Comments make us all happy:

http://purlfriday.blogspot.com
MindyMoo
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2007 09:13:19 AM »

Hi....wish I was in Plymouth...sounds great to have a knitting group....wish there was one on the Isle of Wight
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC swap being organised by www.wightcat.com
Check it out.
yllas
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2007 10:53:50 AM »

just aquick update on the craft club in Honiton, its going really well and we'r always on he look out for new members.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sally
fuzz
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2009 04:08:34 AM »

ahoy hoy!

since this thread hasn't been updated since 2007 i figured i was safe enough to 'fast reply' and then read it through afterwards  Cheesy

i'm based in south devon at the moment where i help to run a guide unit. it was through searching for a craft that i could do with them using the limited supplies we've got that i came across this site and i have been glued to it since then!

the sad thing is that i am not creative or artistic at all. absolutely not. not one tiny bit of creativity within me, believe me - i have tried to find some for years to no avail! i have so very many ideas though, and inspiration too, but when it comes to the actual creation of a project it always goes horribly horribly wrong. i can't even do the most basic stitch for goodness' sake!

however, i am really determined to find something that i can do, and to do it well. for me, this is. no-one else. i just want to prove to myself that i can do something. no idea where to start though, especially considering my current financial situation...! Undecided

oh dear me - it's probably a good thing that this hasn't been updated in two years - my first post and I've already revealed the babbling fool that is fuzz  Roll Eyes

hope to chat to people soon Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh what to do, what to do? Too crazy to go outside, not crazy enough to have imaginary friends...
battenberg
Dancing queen

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2009 10:17:36 AM »

Hay, Im in lovely Falmouth in lovely Cornwall...  Not originally from here but here for uni.  Weve got some nice little shops- I especially love our knitting shop coz the old ladies in there are so awesome Cheesy

I mainly enjoy making hair bands and paper crafty stuff... Thoroughly love my journaling (although I feel its a bit pants when I look at some peoples!)  I'm also a huge fan of the reconstructed tshirt Cool But Im willing to try anything really. Having a bit of an experiment today at broaches... Made two Im rather pleased with.  Nearly everything I make has a bow on it somewhere... Theyre possibly my favourite things in the huge wide world!!

And as you can see I'm a fan of three full stops... Hehe Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity.  There is no cure for curiosity- Dorothy Parker.
purple_girl
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2009 12:42:31 PM »

Hiya Cheesy
How exciting, south west people!!!
Im from somerset - near taunton! I saw someone mention a shop in taunton, which was really exciting - cos i know where it is!!!!
ok, yes, and im the fan of exclamation points!!
I love knitting, some sewing, making stuff, n generally experimenting n making a crafty mess! studying textiles at college - fun!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2009 04:13:28 AM »

Hello! I'm new here, still exploring -found this place yesterday while looking at pics of interesting crafts.  I live in Exeter and like a variety of crafts.  At the moment I mostly do cross stitching, painting on glass and especially sewing.  I sew anything: clothes, home decor, bags... I just don't do it too often, so I am not very productive.  Usually I get to do something when I need a specific item.  And of course I have loads of unfinished projects...
I am thinking of what I can show here among what I have done, but it is not easy, since the level here is soooo high and I tend not to be too happy with the quality of many of my finished projects.  But I am improving that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Rio_Supreme
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2009 04:49:29 PM »

Hi Everybody! Jodie reporting from Plymo here, and its so exciting to see there are people right near me who are secret crafters. Well you're not secret i suppose, i just have'nt met you.... Tongue

Aanyway, just wanted to let my locals know of a few local gems in case they have gone unnoticed...

Eldercrafts - great little craft store that mainly focuses on cardmaking; decoupage, stamping, but also have beadworking, sewing, and some great button bargain bags. They also run a cardmaking club above the store which i have yet to attend but sounds intruiging. They are @ no 10 in the Pannier Market in Town.

Ham & Sewells - in Armarda Center good selection of papers, tools, paints etc. and the instructional book section is small but...instructional .

Plymouth Play Association - The only thing resembling a scrap store i have located in this locality, i have yet to peruse it but it seems to get lots of leftovers from local companies and its open to schools, craft clubs or just your average crafty individual. The only problem with it is that its got some tricky opening hours - tue 10-2, wed 10-1 and thur 1-7.

Hope that is useful and that i'll see some of you @ one of these places!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Try again, fail again, fail better." Samuel Beckett
worksuckscraftrules
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2009 08:15:12 AM »

hi SW craftsters! I'm Hannah and I am based in Exeter, but originally hail from West Cornwall. I like to knit, crochet, cook/bake and sew, although I'll give anything a go if it's crafty. We have a few great craft stores in this fine city: There's three or four knitting shops scattered around, my favourite being a tie between Village Yarns (on the outskirts of the city in Whipton, about half an hour's walk from the centre of town, fabulous range in terms of price and choice) and The Knitting Basket on Blackboy Road (mostly acrylics and baby yarns, but excellent value and really helpful owner). The ladies in both these stores are lovely! There is also Inspirations by Exeter Central train station which does all manner of craft materials, including higher end yarns.

We have Percy's Fabric on Sidwell Street that does a range of dressmaking and upholstery fabrics, not too expensive either. There's also the Exeter Sewing Machine Centre that sells, well, sewing machines, as well as a small (but kind of expensive) range of dressmaking and quilting stuff, as well as a pretty extensive haberdashery range. Heading out of the city, towards Village Yarns actually, is the Exeter Fabric Centre that sells a huge range of all kinds of fabric, reasonably priced.

Down at the Fore Street end of the city, there's Bunyip Beads in the McCoy's Arcade, which does thousands of different beads and sometimes offers classes. Across the road from the arcade there's Make Art which I've never been in (there's a mission for the weekend!), but I think offers a range of different craft materials and classes.

There's other stores that do crafty bits too, but those are the main ones that spring to mind! I'd really like to meet like-minded crafters in Exeter- we seem to have a lot of shops but the 'craft scene' seems to mostly be older and more traditional. Anyone up for a crafting circle?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

is it any coincidence that the word yearn is one letter away from being yarn?
soorawn
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2009 08:50:10 AM »

Thank you, wo... er... wscr (that's shorter).  I hadn't thought of telling what shops we have around.

There is a fabric shop in South Street too.  It is fairly new and it looked very much avant-garde for me to dare go in when I saw it - just a couple of pictures showing pattern models at the window, and the shop looked bare of anything save for a rack with fabric rolls behind a desk at the bottom.  I assumed everything there must be extra expensive.

I like that idea of a crafting circle!

Edit:  Hannah!  I meant thank you Hannah! Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009 08:51:44 AM by soorawn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Follow a Sewing Pattern
How to Make Lanterns Out of Old Jars
How to Play Carroms
How to Make Finger Paints
How to Make an Accordion File from Envelopes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...