A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Fathers Day without my dad?  (Read 1524 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Smuckers9
artist and a cat.

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2009 05:55:02 PM »

I have never been away from my dad on fathers day.
But because he took a job six hours away i won't be able to see him this year on fathers day.
I will however see him this weekend.
I want to make him something nice because its been hard for my family to be separated.
It needs to be something remotely functional, or meaning full. Wink
Facts about my dad:
- Were are really close
-We are really sarcastic and can take a joke (prank gifts welcome he'd love it)
- Loves golf
- New office, but smaller than his old one...and already a lot on the walls. (Other office stuff Huh)
-Lots of books in his office
- Loves Football
- Loves food  Cheesy I will probably bring him a treat of some sort- if you have any good recipes...(hint, hint) Wink
- Loves Food Network and experimenting with new foods- I was thinking a book of recipes? is this cheesy or cool?
- Lots of Family inside jokes

I can sew, knit (i'm realllllly slow though) but my mom is super fast and i could email her any ideas you  guys had, crochet, paper crafts, paint, really about anything except jewelry and resin and stuff Grin

Any idea would be very much appreciated Grin

love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
~Glenda
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009 07:01:40 PM »

If you can sew, I bet you can do a simple backstitch. What about embroidering some hankies for him? I started doing this for my hubby over a year ago for birthdays and holidays and he still asks for more. I also made some for my dad -- the first batch he put into a shadow box on the wall LOL (is that a proud dad or what?!?!), so then I just sewed some out of fabric with no embroidery on them so he would actually use them ;-).

Sublime Stitching and Urban Threads are my favorite places online for modern designs. You can go to the Hoop Love group on flickr for free vintage designs. Really, tho, anything that you can trace onto a hankie can be embroidered. For my hubby's birthday this year, kiddo and I made some hankies freehand -- on one we traced kiddo's hand and I embroidered that, on another I let kiddo draw whatever he wanted and then I embroidered over his drawings. Inside jokes would be perfect to embroider onto a hankie.

I buy a box of 6 white hankies for $4.99 at Target. That's the best price I've found where I live.

I think a book of recipes is a wonderful idea, not cheesy at all since your dad likes trying out new recipes.

The books in his office, are they "read for fun" books or work-related? If he reads for fun, homemade bookmarks would be great.

Honestly, tho, speaking as a parent, that old saying about anything you make for your parents is special to them simply because you made it . . . that is VERY true Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smuckers9
artist and a cat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009 07:09:14 PM »

embroidery is a great idea...i might have to do that.
It would be great for inside jokes.
But knowing my dad he would frame them too Cheesy
My dads books are for work, he is a pastor so he has a lot of books, commentaries, and childrens book that he uses for illustrations ect. But bookmarks would be great because for certain stuff he has multiple books open at a time.
thank you for the ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
~Glenda
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009 11:36:55 PM »

You're welcome! I hope you'll post pics of what you end up making Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Steps to a Braided Updo
How to Stop Hair Static
Liv Tyler For Pantene in Chilled
How to Create a Soft Chignon for Fine Hair
A Quick 5-Minute Updo
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...