A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can anyone tell me what the pattern is on this fabric?  (Read 1748 times)
Tags for this thread: jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

...is striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman...

View Profile WWW
« on: June 07, 2009 11:02:49 PM »

I finished this bag tonight...it is meant for sale at my first craft show in the fall.  I am expecting a baby in September and have been put on bedrest, so I plan to sew, sew, sew...and make as much as possible until the baby is born!!!  This is the second bag I have made for sale so far...I used a simple jordy pattern, added a side pocket and cell phone pocket on the opposite side.  It took roughly two fat quarters of fabric and the measurements are around 12'' across the top, 8'' across the base.  It is 4'' wide on the bottom.  C&C welcome as this helps me create the best bag I can for anyone who might purchase it!  Thanks all!

Front of the bag

Close up of the detail in quilting the pattern...the first time I have done this so it isn't perfect!!!  But it is way cheaper than buying that pre quilted fabric at the store!!

Cell phone pocket

side pocket

THIS ROCKS   Logged

marmalade_skies
I could make that for you, but I won't.

<(-_-)> (>-_-)> (>-_-<) <(-_-<) <(-_-)>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009 11:57:01 PM »

It sort of resembles a paisley pattern.  More modern though.  I could be way off though because I'm not in the fabric business.  I love it, very pretty.  Great job  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patchyemm
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009 12:20:15 AM »

It looks great - I love your choice of fabrics and the stitching looks lovely and neat.  Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mhills

That's A Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009 05:31:37 AM »

Great job!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

helenleeks
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009 04:04:33 PM »

i don't know what the pattern is, but i like what you've done, quilting-wise.  somebody's gonna get a sweet purse.

on another note, make sure "bedrest" can consist of sewing time.  when i worked for an OB she meant bed rest.  often "left lateral rest" meaning you laid on your left side for months.  (one woman called to ask if she could go put her feet in the pool and doctor said only if you intend to haul the bed out and dangle them from the side of it.)  just make sure you are allowed to be sitting up as much as sewing sometimes entails. 

i look forward to seeing another beautiful baby picture as your avatar in the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009 04:44:17 PM »

Thank you for the compliments all!  Helenleeks...did I get the name right?  My doctor works off of 3 levels of bedrest.  I began at level 1...resting 1 hr. in the am and 1 hr in the pm afternoon...light housework, cooking etc... Now I am now on level 2 which is no housework, cooking, lifting etc...I can still sew as of my last visit, but you're right, it may come to my not being allowed to sew, and hardly allowed to shower!!  Sad  Yikes...no one wants to see that one!  I've even taken some of my bags to the doc's office because some of the nurses asked to see my work.  They are all aware of what I am doing...and will tell me when I can't anymore.  Thank you for the concern though!  I have been through worse with my first baby.  He tried coming at 31 wks. and I was on medicated bedrest in the hospital until he was born at 37 wks!  So...at least I'll be home with a little something to do.  And, if I can't sew, then I'll take up crocheting and crochet while laying on my left side!  lol 

So, I"m thinking about making a matching wallet to this bag...or make another bag out of the same material.  I can't decide which to do?Huh  Help anyone???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurseStuff
Purse Stuff - Paula

Handcrafted Purses & Purse Accessories

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009 04:58:48 PM »

You are wise to purchase fabric and do your own quilting touches to it.  The pre-quilted fabrics  are not unique enough for me.  Many craftspersons purchase the same pre-quilted fabrics and make various things out of it.  Yours is different.  Yours is truly a one-of-a-kind fabric because your touch of quilting makes it one-of-a-kind.

Cellphone pocket is a nice touch. 
Outside pocket would be a nice touch too.

Keeping that lining tight without it being """Too""" tight can be tricky.  The cotton & cotton blends give you a durable product.  Nylon & satin linings are so pretty, but they can snag, run, etc more easily than a cotton blend.

Now, as to the answer to your question:   I have No idea what you would call the design on this fabric.  I just know I like it and I like what you've done here.

Congrats !! on your new arrival.  Wishing you all the best.

Purse Stuff - Paula
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purse Stuff - Paula
www.PurseStuff.com
http://pursestuff.blogspot.com
Facebook - Purse Stuff
b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009 11:46:27 AM »

Outside pocket would be a nice touch too.

Paula~I agree on the outside pocket, but because of my aversion to patch pockets (I know it's ridiculous!) I haven't done it unless I can get the fabric to match up just right!  lol  The other problem I always seem to have is something similar to what you were talking about with the lining???  I think I need to make the lining pieces a smidge smaller so that it will fit nicely inside the outside of the bag.  I'm pretty sure that's why I get the bunching.  I generally always use a 100% cotton on my bags unless someone asks for something else.  Thanks for the C&C!  I appreciate it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009 03:00:08 PM »

I think I would call this an "Art Nuveau" style butterfly print. At least that's what comes to mind. I think putting a patch pocket on the outside would take away from the beauty of your quilting.
I do have an idea, create a finished panel which is an exact size match to your bag face, The front piece would be stitched and turned along the top edge, then with the other 3 sides stitched inside the seam allowance, to keep everything flat, match this piece up with the regular panel you would use on the front , leaving your seam allowances intact on the inside topedge, where you sew your lining.This entire double sandwich piece is then sewn as one piece.. Or in other words, instead of a patch, you are adding an inner panel. Make sense? You keep the outside seams as-is.... If you're confused, write me, and I'll sew a sample.   As for the bed rest... I feel for you. I personally know how dangerous sitting too long can be for a baby. I won't elaborate. And I had my share of being laid up for months this past year. Somehow we find a way when the creative spirit is in us!Karen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SillySlippers
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009 10:26:10 PM »

I have almost bought this fabric 3 times! I like it but have know idea what I'd do with it if i bought it. I showed it to my husband and he said "it's for a purse right, you wouldn't actually make a skirt out of it would you?"  I guess not, now that you've killed the happy.   I was thinking to stitch beads on the light blue dots to add a little dimension and sparkle.  I think it's a butterfly-paisley butterfly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like I Know What I'm Doing
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Bead Necklaces
How to Make Clay Beads
How to Make Glass Bead Bracelets
Handmade Portraits: Ayşegül & Sebahat
How to Make Rocker Chain Link Jewelry
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...