A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 301,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spray adhesive is your friend...  (Read 1889 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rvestal
« on: June 07, 2009 08:04:49 PM »

I'm always looking for ideas to make things easier... but nothing has made sewing go more smoothly than spray adhesive.

I don't know how many times I have tried to serge spandex and had it slip around. Normally I would just hand sew to tack it, and rip it out later... Well how about this? Lay your project down on a newpaper right side up. Using scrap newpaper, cover everything except what would be serged, and spray with adhesive. It will look like this...

Now join the two faces together and proceed like normal except revel in the fact that you just saved a ton of time... The adhesive is hidden by the serge so it's not visible afterwards. No more mismatched seams, no more pulling and tugging trying to line everything up.

I also use this stuff for foldover elastic. I just shoot it, and place it then sew over it. Makes it tons easier... No more sewing one side first then the other. I was talking to a few people and they all have never used spray adhesive before. Now that I have, I can't imagine NOT using it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009 08:06:25 AM »

Yes, I agree. I've used it numerous times & it is a handy timesaver. It's real great for self quilting fabrics - no pinning!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009 04:39:49 PM »

I love spray adhesive!!! In my brother's business we had to digitally print large patches of a design and sew them to a pop-up tent top. The stuff was so large and heavy, the pins weren't enough, not to mention they poked holes where you didn't want them, including your fingers; because it was so bulky, you lost sight of the pins. And the stuff still puckered up from the foot of the machine pushing the fabric. Finally, in desperation , I figured it out! Spray Adhesive! It saved my life, not to mention the project, and the order!   Now I use it for smaller, applique projects, where I'm not wanting something to move before I can get it sewn.
I even made a tarp for a little boat canopy last year, where I used it, because the tarp fabric was lined with a cotton canvas, and I didn't want the canvas drooping down when it was overhead.    You can do the same thing, sandwiching layers of batting together. I even used it to put my couch's foam cushion back together.(One day I was washing the slip-covers, and the dog bit little bite size chunks out of the edge of the foam cushion) That day the  spray adhesive was my best best friend... not the dog!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009 08:11:17 AM »

Another good friend of mine is washable glue stick. It is so handy to tack down small corners & stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009 12:47:47 AM »

This is not a sewing thing, but I just have to tell it... once I had lot's of little gnats in the house, and decided they had to go. I put newspaper down, and started zapping them with spray adhesive! They had thier wings stuck together. Gives a new meaning to the phrase "Dropping like flies" LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silveria
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009 02:22:12 PM »

sounds good but i'm just wondering if the spray adhesive will get gunk on the needles when sewing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009 03:14:09 PM »

I've had a lot of stuff get gunk on the needles. It's a pain, but you just have to keep a little cloth with solvent, or even nail polish remover handy. When the needle hole fills up, clear it with a pin. Some stuff is worse than others. One of the worst, I found was sticky-back velcro. I have found home machines to be more sensitive to sewing thru gunk than power machines for some reason. But it can be done. K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rvestal
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009 09:47:10 PM »

I don't have any problems with gunking anything up. I noticed tho, that just generic spray adhesive is very... gummy. I started using Dritz and it seems to come out dryer, but sticks far better. It's harder to reposition and a little more expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Thanksgiving Feast for Under $50
Enthusiasts Brave Cold Weather For Amazing Sandwiches
4 Non-Traditional Thanksgiving Sides
How to Make Creamy Pumpkin Fondue
How to Make the Perfect Turkey
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...