A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my weekend in tops  (Read 1869 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mrs_Boats

Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2009 03:56:38 PM »

I had a productive weekend! I got three summer tops done and a fourth cut and ready to sew.

First up, Rae's spring ruffle top.I found this tutorial on Sew Mama Sew, here: http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=791 It turned out really cute, and is one is probably my favorite. It's almost *too* cute though, bordering on cutesy-it makes me want to put my hair up in braided pigtails, like I did when I was six. Grin I think it's the eyelet that does that, but regardless, I love it! I have a grey flowered sheet lined up to be the next version of this, and I'm thinking of making it a summer nightgown since the sheet is so big.

These next two are both Simplicity 2898, View B. (http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/patterns/sewingpatterns.pl?patternid=19000) The fabric was formerly a thrift store jersey sheet. It went together really easily, but I'm not happy with either one. I started off with what, by the numbers, should be my size, and it's too big. It's wide across the shoulders, and the loop on the bodice gave me a lot more cleavage than I was happy with. A LOT a lot. I fiddled and got two different results. The first one, I un-gathered it to a decent level, the just sewed the top of the loop to the back side of the neckline. Which solved the cleavage problem, but it was still falling off my shoulders. So I unpicked the loop, and now there's a huge dart behind the loop that I haven't trimmed yet-I'm thinking about unpicking it and pleating it like I did the second one instead. It cinched the top up into a nice V though.

Oh-and the gathers are weirdly poofy, and hang off the loop.

The second one is a combo of thrift store remnants that look like they were meant to go together-the back and sleeves are contrasting. With this one I didn't dart it, just pleated it a bit at the neckline, and didn't gather it at all-the purple 'loop' is there for decoration, not function. It's still borderline too wide across the shoulders though.

I like them both well enough, I just think they could stand some improvement. If I can find shirring elastic and a decent tutorial, I'm considering running a line of shirring along the bodice line and see if that helps. I've also considered taking it in an inch or so through the bust line. Anybody got any other suggestions?

If I can get the kinks worked out in this pattern, I'll definitely make more-I like it it, and one of the options is long sleeves. But I do need to get the bust sorted out first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sing like no one is listening
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one can see you
Live like its heaven on earth
Vrtnej
T'estimo, tan, Salvem el mn

El rei est de tornada!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009 04:35:21 PM »

gosh! you did have a productive weekend!!
i like them all, they all look really good, i dont think the first one is *too* cute!! just the perfect amount of cute and you should love it !
the second one though, i would love a top like that, so pretty  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sdhrt
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009 06:15:27 PM »

Nice work, fun tops!  I just made the 'made by rae ruffle top' (and posted them to the children's board) scaled down into a child's size using almost identical fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschykraftkitten
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009 03:17:38 PM »

Oh wow!  I'm in love with the first top!  Hmmm... now to find out where I put my extra fabric  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody Is Somebody's Daydream.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gameday Recipes: Irish Stout Cheese Stuffed Burgers
How to Make Homemade Chips and Dips For the Big Game
How to Make the Carolina BBQ Pork Burger
How to Bake Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Upgrade
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...