A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dr. Orpheus from Venture Bros. (photo heavy)  (Read 10639 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , venture_brothers , plush , tv  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CartoonJunkie
Rock, Rock On!

Doodily doo ding dong doodily doodily doo

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 06, 2009 08:42:13 PM »

For the Venture Bros. swap, I knew I wanted to make a doll for my partner of their favorite character. When I got matched up with Inara I found that her favorite character is Dr. Orpheus. I have to admit I was a little nervous since I've never made a doll this complicated before. Actually, I've never really made a doll period.

I made up all the patterns for the clothes and the doll itself as I went along, mostly trial and error. I actually made his hair twice as well. The first time I used crappy AC Moore felt and it looked terrible. I went to Joann and got a couple shades of wool felt and redid his hair and facial hair and he looks much better now.

His face is all hand embroidered. I drew it on freehand with an embroidery marker and then stitched it on. His facial hair is just wool felt that I glued in place. His hair is four layers of wool felt that are glued and stitched around his face.

He cloak unfastens with a snap under his "dracula trophy". I made it with gold sculpy and a red rhinestone and coated it with polyurethane. His robe is made from red novelty velvet (that's what it said at Joann) with black satin ribbon for the trim. All of his clothes (including shoes) are completely removable, if one were so inclined.

This back shot shows the detail of the cloak. It is lined in purple and I painted the edges and emblem with gold acrylic paint. I added a red rhinestone to the middle.

For those of you who haven't seen Venture Brothers, here is a picture of Dr. Orpheus.

You definitely have to watch this show. It's awesome.

I hope you all like him! I was so sad to send him away, but I'm glad Inara is giving him a good home Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's something you don't see every day... one hopes." - Killface

My Wist
toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009 08:53:27 PM »

Holy. Freaking. Crap. That doll is AMAZING. GO TEAM VENTURE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I design geeky, all natural handmade soap known as GEEKSOAP! http://www.geeksoap.net
Portfolio: http://www.thepinktoque.com/
punk rock puppy
Magic Ninja

Juggalo Love!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009 09:13:55 PM »

omg i love him! you did a really great job Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yeah... i should probably get on that...
MsJamieLeigh
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009 09:15:51 PM »

So I am just getting into Venture bros and I like it. My boyfriend was in your swap, Tweaq, and we were both very impressed by your doll.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no special talent, I am only passionately curious.
punkmandi
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009 12:54:19 AM »

He looks fantastic. You did such a great job, he looks like he stepped right out of the show.

Speaking of Venture Bros., you should soooo check out the co-creator, Doc Hammer.  He does the voice for Dr. Girlfriend. HE'S SO HOT.  Er,  at least I think so.   

Sorry bout the Doc comment, I just like to spread the wealth.   Wink Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MarquessaDuPont
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009 02:34:29 AM »

Holy cow batman! Are you absolutely positively sure you've never made a doll before? I don't believe it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's ok. My Mum said I could.
gamesofyou

Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009 03:30:17 PM »

This is freakin ridiculously awesome! I saw the thumbnail and said to myself, HOLY CRAP THAT'S ORPHEUS!!!! and then I danced in my chair. I cannot express how much I love this, fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
phantasmafreud
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009 10:23:57 PM »

YES!!!! This is great! Doctor Orpheus is one of my favorites from the show. (Actually most of the characters with the title "Doctor" end up being a favorite of mine lol.) You have done a fantastic job, hitting this rocks now.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CartoonJunkie
Rock, Rock On!

Doodily doo ding dong doodily doodily doo

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009 06:47:54 AM »

Thanks for all the positive comments! I really appreciate it Smiley Making him was such a learning experience. It took me three tries before I even made an arm that looked right. I already have plans for my next doll though so I'll definitely have to post when I'm done.

I'm also glad to see so many Venture Bros. fans on here! I don't really know many people that watch this show, or have even heard of it for that matter. Go Team Venture!

and punkmandi, I agree about Doc Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's something you don't see every day... one hopes." - Killface

My Wist
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009 08:00:28 AM »

I so knew from the thumbnail (front page) that this was Orpheus.  I LOVE him, he is so ridiculously dramatic.  Your doll looks lovely and I really like his hair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear a Crop Top and High Waisted Trousers
Must Have Wide Calf Boots for Spring 2014
Get a H&M Wedding Dress for $100
Hot Off the Red Carpet Prom Picks
Lawrence Zarian on Shapewear Dangers
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...