A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Prom dress inspired by Mrs Lovett (photo-update)  (Read 27852 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , craftster_best_of_2009 , prom , prom_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2009 03:09:51 PM »

Update:

Thought I'd upload some more pictures I found of the dress.

and finally the picture which so far is the one best showing of the actual colour of the dress, although it's still not accurate. The fabric is really this lovely non-shiney shade of emerald green that from some angles look almost black:

Old post:

A friend of mine is graduating this year and for the graduation prom she asked if I could make her dress.
The design is somewhat inspired by Mrs Lovett, and completley her creation so I can take no pride in anything but the actual pattern making and sewing of the whole thing.

I think I went a bit insane at some point though, realising I'd be having lots of time to kill due to surgery and 2 weeks of recovery, so when we talked about lining the layers of the skirt with some kind of detail I said that cutting fabrics to make ruffl-sh stuff wouldn't be a problem at all. 45 meters of cutting, hemming, folding (measuring each fold so that they'd be equal in size) and attatching this. Wow- what on earth was I thinking?
But it was a good way to occupy myself, so I'm not complaining, even though I'm surely never doing anything that insane again.

This was a lot of first for me: First time doing those kind of folded details, first time making a more proper corset rather than just making something to look like one, but not function as one. This one actually reduced her waist-measure enough for me to wonder where on earth all that extra mass of body went. First time making lace-gloves (which I found very amusing- I'll tell you why later), and so on. I don't want to bore you with lots of text here, so I'll just post the pictures.

(I even made my first bow tie ever for her date, which was an odd thing to do since I can't remember having having seen a real life bow tie in my entire life. Lots of google for that one)

And I just have to put in this picture too, because she's so bloody glowingly beautiful. All... golden and shiny and warm. This picture very much captures her character as she is.

(this picture was taken before it was completley finished, so there's still pins by the sleeves, and cords hanging from the skirt)

This is actually one of my favorite details of the dress.
We were talking on a phone at the conversation went something along the lines of:
Her: I really don't know what to do about handbags.. They're just annoying, I mean where does one put it? I don't want to have to carry it around everywhere"
Me: I know! They're butt annoying. So unfair guys always have  pockets on all their clothes.
Her: .... Can't we put pockets on the dress?
Me: Sure we can!

And thus  I did. I made two smaller pockets, underneath one of the top layers, just big enough to fit her camera, phone and small stuff she needed with her. ^^
Sorry about the blurry and crappy picture though, but you get the point =)

And just a close up on the gloves because they were really fun making. Felt like I was in the middle of a challange of Project Runway or soemthing, because she had talked about wanting lace gloves, but she couldn't find any. Then one day she holds up a piece of lace ribbon and says "Do you think it would be possible to make any kind of gloves out of this?" and always-up-for-a-challange as I am I say "sure, let's try" and then, after meassure the rather short piece of lace, calculating ways to make anything ot of what little there was in the end I came up with one possible solution and only one. I used every tiny tenth of an inch of what I had been given, and sew the ribbon together over and over again and in the end I managed to put together gloves out of them. ot perfect, but she liked them and I had fun making them, so I'm very content =)

Ohhh, and!!! Guess what, guess what, guess what? Her date was crowned King of the prom, and she won the award for most unique clothing ^^ So guess who's a bit proud at the moment *points to self and grins hugely*

So, what do you think?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010 06:10:24 AM by lelyonna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The key to happiness is not getting what you want- it's wanting what you get"
marmalade_skies
I could make that for you, but I won't.

<(-_-)> (>-_-)> (>-_-<) <(-_-<) <(-_-)>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009 03:21:33 PM »

Gorgeous!  OMG.  I love it!  Great idea to put pockets in also.  All around fantastic.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HelloDolly
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009 03:22:29 PM »

This is awesome. I love your story too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RepentantAngel
Empress of the World At Large

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009 03:23:21 PM »

This is so beautiful! You executed this amazingly well, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the pockets!! *this rocks*

RA
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some people have midnight snacks.
I have midnight amigurumis. ^_^

www.yarncreations.wordpress.com

"Oh, Ackbar. You dumb, dumb, dumb fish man."
---My boyfriend
Tailte
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009 03:47:58 PM »

Gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:
http://overaway.blogspot.com
It's about art, craft and other miscellaneous occurrences.

My cooking blog: http://meri-somethingsweet.blogspot.com
midnight

I live where hens catch mice and cats lay eggs

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009 03:50:03 PM »

zowie, what an incredible dress! I think you've really done yourself proud, its very striking, individual and wonderfully constructed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnight_Satyne

Waxing Lyrical and Tripping the Light Fantastic
BabyGirlBling
I love my Coastie and my Coastie loves me....... and my crafting addiction!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009 04:06:36 PM »

Wow! That is bloody brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love swapping! PM me if your interested. I make custom jewelry and awesomer than awesome bags/purses!
http://www.myspace.com/Burnt_Toast_Designs Visit my Myspace page for examples of my work.
I love taking requests for custom items!
lelyonna
Tutorial Contributor

Regnflickan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009 04:29:47 PM »

awww, thank you Cheesy

I do love the pockets, and I think the whole thing went very well with her, I really feel that the dress was made for her and only her, like they're meant to fit together you know (and I'm not talking size here).
I am much content
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The key to happiness is not getting what you want- it's wanting what you get"
Vrtnej
T'estimo, tan, Salvem el mn

El rei est de tornada!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009 04:44:01 PM »

It is absolutely gorgeous. you should be very proud Smiley annnd , pockets!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009 04:44:28 PM »

Stunning!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Flower
How to Fold an Origami Flower Pot
How to Make an X-Wing Fighter
How to Make an Origami Frog Base
How to Make an Origami Samurai Hat
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...