A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Features: This Rocks counter and "featured (date)"  (Read 1452 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« on: June 06, 2009 12:43:13 AM »

It would be neat to have a little counter somewhere on each post that shows how many times people have hit "this rocks". And if something does make it to the feature page, it would be cool if it said "Featured" and the date it hit the featured list. I know people can miss that they got a feature if they're on vacation for the duration, unless people start commenting that it's featured on the thread itself Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009 06:10:42 AM »

We've batted around the idea of having a This Rocks counter visible on threads, but it was mentioned that some members might feel bad if their posts aren't getting any rocks.

For Featured Projects, there isn't a date, but we do tag them with "Featured Project"  You can see all of them we've recently tagged here:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=tags;sa=showtopics;tag=featured_project  We're still going back in history to tag previous threads, though! Smiley  I try to reply on all 15 threads with a "Congrats for being a featured project!" but only if I have a spare moment to do so.

Hope some of this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009 12:21:44 AM »

Hehe, okay, thank you

But I have to say, feeling bad for not getting a "this rocks"... how is that so different from the views counter then? Or the comments counter? Especially together: Not getting a This Rocks must be a lot less "saddening" than seeing that you've gotten 450 views and not a single person found it worth to comment Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009 07:48:41 AM »

I try to reply on all 15 threads with a "Congrats for being a featured project!" but only if I have a spare moment to do so.

Yea... and I haven't even tried. Sorry kids!  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dejah_Thoris
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010 02:57:07 AM »

I think that you should show the number of times 'this rocks' has been hit, it gives you an idea how popular an article has been and will show you which articles have been the most popular, I would like to be able to look at the most popular articles ever and would like to be able to sort things by popularity, I can't see why the number of 'this rocks' should be kept secret or for that matter which members hit 'this rocks'.

I also think that the 'this rocks' button needs to be single click action as opposed to the current 3 clicks required which on my old pc can be a very slow process and stops me hitting it more often as it is a bit tedious.

Also I think that there needs to be a sub 'this rocks' button, as sometimes I would like to give a thumbs up to some of the comments that people post that I agree with or make me laugh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010 03:26:05 AM »

Also I think that there needs to be a sub 'this rocks' button, as sometimes I would like to give a thumbs up to some of the comments that people post that I agree with or make me laugh.

Like the Love(1) on ravelry Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010 03:47:02 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

You can also currently view popular threads (by replies or views) via the stat page here:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=stats
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dejah_Thoris
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010 10:09:46 AM »

Like the Love(1) on ravelry Cheesy

ahh, I don't knit or crochet  Embarrassed so I wouldn't know! but I have been on other forums with something similar and I really miss it here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dejah_Thoris
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010 10:16:04 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

You can also currently view popular threads (by replies or views) via the stat page here:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=stats

Thanks for that it has some really interesting statistics, although.....

......seeing which topics are popular with other crafters, ie the ones they think are worth hitting 'this rocks' for,   would be far more informative than those that have been looked at frequently.

The stats page is really great though  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010 10:18:33 AM »

Yep, it would definitely different!  The stats page is the closest we currently have available, so thought I would mention it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Japanese Artists Create Balloon Couture Dresses
Artist Creates Kitchen Accessories Inspired By Bizarre Human Biology
Artistic Industrial Themed Liquid Lights
Russian Designers Propose a Trampoline Walkway
Architectural Firm Plans to Build a Cantilever Wine Museum in Lavaux
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...