A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: painted fireplace insert  (Read 2282 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

faithsmama
« on: June 05, 2009 03:10:48 PM »

before and after

i've always hated the brass thingy that was in the fireplace. so three years after we moved into this house, i finally painted it! easy peasy and i love it!! i used a hammered dark bronze paint to blend with the other fixtures in the living room area...

so yeah, if you have crazy shiny brass you don't like, bust out that rustoleum paint and make it better! this took me about an 45 minutes of prep/spray time, then drying time, but about 2.5 hours total. i wish i'd done this forever ago...now i want to paint the mantel a darker color to go with our darker furniture, lol!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009 03:11:28 PM by faithsmama » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ducky2010
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009 03:20:47 PM »

Nifty! I didn't know you could paint brass, so that's pretty cool. The heat won't make the paint peel?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

faithsmama
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009 03:22:13 PM »

thanks! we have gas logs that we haven't used in three years, so i wasn't super worried about it, lol. there's also a layer of insulation behind the brass front, so i think it would be okay, but they do have high heat paint too, like for bbqs, etc, if you were worried about that sort of thing. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009 04:51:55 PM »

That's nifty! I hate brass! All of the fixtures in our apartment (door knobs, lights, etc...) are brass and I hate it! But I'll deal until we get our own place someday Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
kholbert
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009 05:58:10 PM »

Would you mind telling me how you prepped it? I have some really hideous brassware that is just begging to be painted now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dawt
I heart my duplicate daughters

I know, huh?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009 08:49:47 PM »

I love, love, love that hammered-look paint! What a world of difference it made to your fireplace, wow. I don't blame you for wanting to cover up the brass, I'm not a fan of it, either, but to each his/her own.

I used a silver hammered-look spray paint on an old aluminum screen door and it made it look almost new, I was shocked. I thought it would just spruce it up a bit and put a little shine back on it, but that paint made all the difference. I think it actually made it look like a more sturdy metal when it was finished. (Hubby re-screened it after I painted it, way cheaper than a new door, that's fer sure.) Another great feature of this type of paint is that it covered up flaws such as the pitting or whatever it is the weather did to the surface. I didn't have to prep the surface so much for smoothness, a little roughness only added to the charm. I just made sure it was clean so the paint would adhere properly.

After you did the fireplace, did you look around and see what else you could paint with it?! *giggle* I did but couldn't fulfill my sick need, dern it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

faithsmama
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009 09:06:30 PM »

thanks y'all!

dawt, i've got a brass piano lamp on the piano off to the right of the fireplace, i totally am spraying that too Wink

kholbert, as far as prepping, all i did was get some medium gauge steel wool and rub it down to get the lacquer roughed up, then sprayed! well, i taped off the glass too, but as far as the metal, that's it! i did remove the handles and spray those separately too. so easy and i LOVE the difference it makes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pamcake1323
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009 04:34:59 PM »

I love the way it looks now!
I also have a face the same color as your before and I can't stand it. That isn't my biggest concern atm as I just moved here a week ago, and before we moved in, a raccoon decided he wanted to hang out in the house. So..the face isn't even attatched right now. lol. He knocked the whole thing out and took out a bunch of insulation as well. He still comes down at night (I have boxes and a filing cabinet against it..so he can't come in Smiley.
Sometimes he makes lots of noise and other times I only know he's in there b/c my dogs are going crazy.
I really like yours though. It looks really nice and makes a huge difference! And so much better than buying a new one. (=
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dawt
I heart my duplicate daughters

I know, huh?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009 04:44:38 PM »

dawt, i've got a brass piano lamp on the piano off to the right of the fireplace, i totally am spraying that too Wink

Must...find...lamp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Ways to Avoid Acne Breakouts in the Summer
Beauty Masterclass: Get a Pretty Party Look
How to Get Cinderella Makeup for Halloween
Going to College in NYC
How to Get a Sun-Kissed Look!
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...