A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,522
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knit AIMEE with me?  (Read 12886 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lisascenic
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2005 03:01:15 PM »

Blocking lace is miraculous!  My sister calls unblocked knitted lace "ramen noodle mess."  And I do agree!

By puddling, I mean the way the colors arrange themselves when you knit with variegated yarn. I thought I could find an example at YouKnitWhat, but none popped out at me.

http://youknitwhat.blogspot.com/

I noticed that the link you shared showed the same big belly button hole for the ribbon eyelet that my sweater has.  Anyone who hasn't gotten to this stage yet should take note!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Megyn
Destroyer of Worlds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2005 01:53:21 PM »

I've been thinking about this one, and now that I see how great it can look on someone, I just may..  After the billion other things I have to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shellah
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2005 07:59:57 AM »

Just passing through, but...

lisascenic: I read the Aimee post that bee17779 linked, and noticed that the knitter added length to the body of the sweater (she mentioned that it added a full repeat of the stripes), so if you didn't do that maybe your sleeves will be okay? (On the other hand, she also went down a size on the needles, so no telling how those two things combined affected her yarn usage.)

Michelle

(edited to fix the crazy bolding. oops)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005 08:17:53 AM by shellah » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisascenic
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2005 08:13:14 AM »

Well, I actually added to the length, too.  I'm really long-waisted, and didn't want this to be a cropped sweater.  The knitter that Bee linked and I have pretty much the same body, which was gratifying, since the Aimee looked so good on her.

Like this knitter, I also went down two needle sizes to get the gauge.  (I'm a ver-r-r-ry relaxed knitter...)  But since gauge is now correct, I don't think this will affect my yarn usage.

We'll see.  You can laugh at me when I start posting desperate please for another ball of yarn!

I put the first sleeve on a stitch holder and have started on the second....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitknit
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2006 08:40:55 AM »

I'm still working on this.  I may have to start over because i think i'm using too small needles.  I knit pretty tight and i went up a size, but i think i may need to go up another size.  All that work for nothing  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisascenic
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2006 11:48:05 AM »

Is you gauge wrong, Knitknit?  Have you slapped the iron on the part that you have already finished, and THEN measured it???

Ripping this yarn out isn't a lot of fun.  Do check your (post steam blocking) dimensions before you rip out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shizzys
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2006 07:02:05 PM »

Okay, I just started the lace pattern and it looks like Row 1-5 is all Knit, Row 6 is Purl.  Does this mean that we literally knit even a WS (typically purl) row?  Huh

Sorry for such a silly question.... Undecided

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisascenic
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2006 08:33:30 AM »

Shizzys, here's a graphic representation of the lace part of the pattern.

1. < ----- knit < ----- right side, or outside of sweater
2. ----- > lace ----- > wrong side, or inside of sweater
3. < ----- lace < ----- right side, or outside of sweater
4. ----- > lace ----- > wrong side, or inside of sweater
5. < ----- lace < ----- right side, or outside of sweater
6. ----- > PURL ----- >  wrong side, or inside of sweater

Does that make sense?

By the way, I stand by my choice to knit all the rows of the lace pattern the same way.  If you read back in this thread, I was pondering this concept, and could find no reason to follow the *odd* method the designer set out...

Hope my little schematic helps!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bee17779
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2006 08:37:20 AM »

Okay, I just started the lace pattern and it looks like Row 1-5 is all Knit, Row 6 is Purl.  Does this mean that we literally knit even a WS (typically purl) row?  Huh

Sorry for such a silly question.... Undecided

Don't worry about it being a silly question. Everyone is here to learn.  Smiley Yeah, you knit every row. This is called the garter stitch. It's usually used at the start or at the 2 ends to prevent curling. Stockinette stitches (where you knit on the RS and purl on the ws) will cause the knitted piece to curl towads the center. Since that's the bottom that you are knitting, I think that's correct.

Hope that helps. And can't wait to see how your aimee will turn out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://beeknits.blogspot.com - My Knitting Blog
http://jadebeadradise.blogspot.com - My beaded jewelry shop
Shizzys
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2006 12:50:10 PM »

Thanks Lisa and Bee!! This makes much more sense now.... I'm on the right track now   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Write Tech Reviews
How to Write a Limerick
How to Write a Sonnet
Peter Ames Carlin on Narrator Bobby Cannavale
Peter Ames Carlin on His Audiobook Bruce
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...