A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
716 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: inexpensive plant hangers into pretty shelves  (Read 5341 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mlle_rachelmarie

Writing my dissertation in 15 minutes a day.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2004 02:38:03 PM »

For a few years I have used cheap plant hangers (with spray-painted dowels) to put up curtains, and now I've decided to turn them into shelves!  
You need wrought-iron plant hangers that have lots of curls and look like shelf supports (eek, I am lacking proper terminology!).
I found some wood on the sidewalk and put it on two plant hangers, mounted to the wall.  I had to bend the top curl a little bit to make room for the wood, but otherwise, it's a perfect fit!  The whole project costs about $5, and looks much prettier and decorative than the industrial shelf kits you get at the hardware store.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2004 03:37:04 PM by mlle_rachelmarie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog about my Paris life, books, and artsy crafty things: http://www.craftyrachel.com
conclusion

still kisses with saliva

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004 02:41:30 PM »

that sounds awesome!! now to find some plant hangers....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fitter, happier, more productive
CircusManager220
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004 03:32:26 PM »

I have been needing some shelves to mount... stuff.. So now that is a good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Washable
EinsZweiDrei
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004 10:10:38 AM »

those are great! it looks like a professional job. are they hard enough to hold a lot of things or can you just put light stuff on it? great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mlle_rachelmarie

Writing my dissertation in 15 minutes a day.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004 10:31:22 AM »

Glad you like 'em!

They are surprisingly strong...as strong as those metal L brackets you can buy.  I'd put more books on them, but the limiting factor is the drywall to which I mounted them.  I couldn't find many studs in this pre-war apt (insert joke here about boyfriend), so I had to use wall anchors on the right side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog about my Paris life, books, and artsy crafty things: http://www.craftyrachel.com
klippedwingz

Are you a Llama, I asked my friend, Dave?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004 12:11:50 PM »

I have also used this technique but used them over a window.  I inserted cane poles through one set of "Loops" and hung tye-dyed sheet curtains Smiley So i had a display shelf/cornice/curtain rod support all in one handy dandy thing .  Those plant holders come in many colors/sizes but are very easy to paint.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004 12:12:49 PM by klippedwingz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lenae
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004 10:10:58 PM »

Thanks for the idea!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dontletsstart
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004 10:21:54 PM »

I read "inexpensive pant hangers..." and was like WHOA I need to see how pant hangers were turned into shelves.  Roll Eyes Yes I'm a dork.  But those plant hangers are a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tallulahwine

She was the still point in the turning world.-FSG.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004 02:58:51 AM »

I made these cute book shelf thingies (lack of term)  out of a  nail and ribbon.  Just take an arm length of ribbon and nail the two ends to the wall.  You can put as many books, or magazines, that the ribbon will support if you take the loop end of the ribbon and put it underneath the spine.  Like a sling.  Make sense?  I hope so.  I used 1 in a half in. ribbon.  I used it to get my reference books off the desk.  I use my thesaurus all of the time so I need it close but don't want to build shelves.  thingie=thesaurus.  I know, it's late.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

These songs are for you.-Leonard Cohen
Duct tape is like the force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.-Oprah.
Do you remember when crayons were the coolest?
Bully rocks.  really.  they are girls.  grrr.
pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004 12:10:32 PM »

now THAT is an idea!  My hubby and I were lamenting the lack of cool, in-expensive book brackets a while ago, whilst we were re-organizing painting our apt.  We had to settle for boring ol' ordinary ones.  I wish I had of seen this back then! :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Prime Rib
Chili Paprika Shrimp and Lime Rice Recipe
How to Make Crab Cakes
How to Make Potato Pancakes
Red Bean Succotash Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...