A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Piano as decoration... picture obese  (Read 1211 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alinaswedding
« on: June 08, 2009 03:29:40 PM »

Hi all. I'm back, looking for more ideas.

I had this idea of turning an old upright piano into reception decor... I know some might disapprove of this because it's an instrument, but putting that aside, I need ideas. I love music as much as the next person. I "rescued" this piano from someone who was planning on disposing of it. Got it free on Craigslist.

My inspiration came from this (sorry, I found this a while ago and can't seem to find the source! It was sitting out from a piano store somewhere or something like that...)

I've modified it slightly to be more representative of the mood and colors I'm thinking:

You can see the upright piano I have here.... it is out of tune, one of the keys sticks just a little, and the suspension peddle is broken, so it's not in the greatest shape to begin with (perfect for what I need I guess):

Anyway, It's not toooooo heavy, so I don't necessarily have to gut it, and it might actually be more work than it's worth to gut it. However, I did think that if I gutted the top section (that's above the keys) I could make it into some sort of shadow box or something to use for seating cards or something.

To give an idea of what I'm thinking for the tone of the wedding, here's the inspiration board I made for my December wedding:

So, the question is... I would love for this to be functional and not just decoration (like the seating card idea, etc...). Any other ideas for what it could be used for in the reception? Any great decorating ideas? If I don't have to gut it, that would be great. And, if I do gut it, it wouldn't be able to be played anymore, which is sad, but I can live with it. Personally, I think this has the potential to be the absolute coolest, most memorable, and focal part of my reception if done right! So much potential!!

Also, if by some off chance someone here has actually gutted a piano before, I would love and adore you if you gave me some tips and directions. From the limited stuff I'm finding online (and it is limited... not many people seem to have attempted this type of project and chronicled it), it is NOT going to be easy if I do go that route...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Martyni
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009 03:40:45 PM »

Great idea! Really interesting, could you possibly reuse it after the wedding?. I'm afraid I can be no help to you, but I wouldn't gut it if I were you because you may be able to mend it and use it for its original purpose again one day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alinaswedding
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009 04:25:08 PM »

I would love to reuse it... I play a little and H2B plays very, very well. Only problems... the way I decorate for the wedding are not the same as I decorate my living room, so it might be really out of place. Also, it would need to be hauled across state lines (which is doable, but a pain)... and we have a really small apartment, so while it would fit, it would be a veeery tight fit. :-( So, not sure if it's something I could personally use, unfortunately...

We are thinking about buying a keyboard though. It would be SO great if I could use this instead and save some dough...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
adiemonster

hiphopmapotamus v.s rymnoserous

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009 04:43:29 PM »

one way to resuse it would for it to serve as your guest book. so people could write thier names on the keys ect... or on the body. but get it fixed before hand. i dont really know, im just rambling...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS SWAP 2!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=280446.0
(this is info forum)
Craftsunderground
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009 06:25:54 PM »

I have seen some websites for companies that convert pianos into desks and other furniture (pianodesk.com, pianoworld.com/pianodesk2.htm, tinkertunes.com are just a few) On at least one of the sites they described what they went through to gut a piano. It was Hard!!! The stuff is heavy and made of metal that requires sledge hammers to break up. Altogether, it was quite a job. If you google "piano desk" you will see lots of inspiration and maybe some "how to" info. Good luck. I think your planter idea is beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
Kristij1201
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009 09:34:22 PM »

you could use it for the present/card table...i know nothing of the gutting, but good luck!  i love your inspiration picture!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lody
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009 04:17:19 AM »

If I were you, I wouldn't take out all the cords and stuff above the keys--it looks totally awesome! That would make it really boring, in my opinion, if you took them away. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like penguins, stars, rainbows and blue.
If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hot New Crops
Which Shampoo to Use
Hair Styling Products Tips
Convertible Hair Style Tips
How to Get Oscar Winning Locks with Matrix Artistic Director, Ammon Carver
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...