A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,382
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: goof, skirt, and tanks  (Read 1288 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« on: June 03, 2009 09:29:45 PM »

A couple of warm days has reminded me that summer is coming.  A few hours of free sewing stolen while the children ranted and raged around me at my inattention and I managed to scrap together a couple of things.

The first was a fly by the seat of my pants design.  And it sucked.

The arms are too big, the shoulders too wide, and what the hell is up with the wings?!  So, scrap that (though, for the record, the little mugwart loved it and wanted to wear it to school.)

But, because I adore fabric and hoard every inch of it, I salvaged what I could into a little skirt.

I added a waistband with just the back half elasticized (my first) and a little ruffle on the bottom, which isn't so ruffly since I seem to have a problem with actually making sure there is enough fabric for the gather.  But it's cute and I like it.  Better yet, the girl likes it too and can still climb trees in it.

I also put together a simple tank top for Smootch, with some pink knit that was passed on from one sewer to another and probably 20 years old. 

Still pink, though, so it still works for my kid.  I lined the arms, neck and waist with some brown and pink polka doted knit. 

Using the same tank top pattern (which was quickly improvised in the first place since I didn't feel like finding a proper pattern somewhere in the sewing grotto) I made up one for my boy, who is now a toddler as of tonight when he toddled around the house shrieking like a girl (which is how he calls his sister, since she is always screaming as he pulls her hair... sorry, ot)

The front of the tank is from larger child's tee, with some of the image from the front of the shirt appliqued on the side there.  The back and edging is just some striped knit I happen to have forty miles of.

To adjust the pattern to fit the boy I just raised the front neckline and shortened the length. 

I'm not sure it was a total success - the edging is a bit bulky and next time I'd better just go find some proper ribbing - but I'm quite sure that this pattern would make an excellent sweater vest come the fall. 

I am going to have to make a few more tanks for the kids, considering all of their new clothes are already in the hamper with what might possibly be permanent popsicle stains.  The kids: hard on clothes.

As always, questions and comments welcome (though, don't be too harsh with me on the first one... I can only say it's all the children's fault for my terrible lapse in judgement and skills so blame them  Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krafty119
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009 09:59:05 PM »

I love them all! Even the first one...

Nice work while the youngins were runnin and a'screamin! I applaud your efforts!! Great job you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ONE HAPPY MOMMA
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009 10:06:03 PM »

I just love to see what goodies you have made.  It must be nice that your daughter loves what you make her.  I love the tanks the best, especially since they are made from something else. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SamJ
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009 01:39:46 PM »

I love the colours in the first dress a shame it didnt fit her how you wanted it to Embarrassed but I love the fact you salvaged it and made a skirt  Grin

the vests are fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://knitsamknit.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/SamJ

where do i get freezer paper from??? im in the UK so does it have another name??? please help me!!!!
vikingmom
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009 06:39:54 PM »

I think they are cute even you think you goofed up. Nice job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog    http://purplepockets.blogspot.com/
my etsy    http://www.etsy.com/shop/JordyBelle
My wists   http://www.wists.com/vikingmom

I would totally love to do a personal swap
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009 09:17:08 PM »

Thanks all for the encouraging comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Distress Jeans
Log Cabin Quilt Block Patterns
How to Pack for a Weekend Getaway
Best & Worst Dressed Billboard Music Awards 2014
Two Ways to Wear This Season’s Fringe Trend
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...