A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
377 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Husband won't let me sew any more dresses until I have a place to wear them  (Read 1944 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

greenfaerie
« on: June 03, 2009 09:20:48 PM »

LOL  Don't ever ask for help with getting organized, or you get permabanned from buying "unneccessary" stuff.

Y'all help a girl out? I want to make something like http://www.butterick.com/item/B4919.htm?search=retro&page=1 (as a shorter dress) or http://www.butterick.com/item/B5182.htm?tab=evening_prom_bridal&page=1 or even  http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V1015.htm?tab=evening_bridal_includes_designer&page=2.  See the problem? All ready to dress up and no where to go. 

I'm sure a lot of us have these issues, and might not have the flock of friends getting married, etc to wear fun stuff to.  So where have you found a place to dress to impress in your own creations?

I live in Charleston, where it seems I see people dressed up all the time but have no idea where they're going haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009 09:37:03 PM »

I have the same problem. I have so many great dresses that I never get to wear. The semi-formal ones (even like the first dress pattern you listed in a shorter length) - I end up wearing them for even the smallest things: birthday parties, dinners, etc. Hey I may be overdressed but at least I get to wear clothes I love  Cheesy
Formal dresses are harder. I can't find reason to wear them either. There definitely needs to be more formal occasions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bladerunner
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009 09:59:32 PM »

Clearly you need to throw more parties. That way, you get to be in charge of the dress code.

Or start wearing those dresses to the grocery store. Make the Joneses keep up with you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Who's the freak in the tights?"
"Haven't been in Gotham long, have you kid?"
     --Batman Beyond
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009 10:04:10 PM »

the dresses are beautiful.  you could make one and have your other half take you out on a date and make people wonder where you are going!   candle light picnic in the park (don't forget the off) or a movie or a club  make it fancy for you .... who cares what others wear!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009 05:37:59 AM »

You could make the first one in cotton or rayon, pair it with a little shrug or cardigan, and wear it anywhere from birthday parties or a dinner out to the supermarket on Friday afternoons.  The second one would go to the theater, ballet, or symphony (yes, I actually go these places, if at all possible--they're tons of fun, and depending on your city, may be relatively inexpensive, at least the symphony).  Again, making it in a matte fabric will open up the possibilities for it, in terms of formality.  For the third, I'm stumped.  That one's straight up wedding, in my book, unless you felt like modifying it a bit.

Oh, and I almost forgot:  art openings.  The first or second would work for an opening at a more posh gallery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
soorawn
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009 10:03:42 AM »

Your husband clearly needs to take you to the restaurant more often.  and to the theatre.  And to posh clubs.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009 10:04:30 AM by soorawn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
dollbecky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

ADHD crafter, jack of all trades..master of none

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009 01:28:18 PM »

Romantic Dinner? ...or go out for drinks at a bar and flirt with the  husband .....
"I just wanted to look pretty for you"
Or "But I don't want you to get bored of seeing me in the same old outfits"
shameless I know it kinda works on my husband

*oh and make it in his favorite color*
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009 01:35:57 PM by dollbecky » THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenfaerie
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009 07:28:40 PM »

lol You ladies rock.  I can so see myself doing the "Stepford wife" shopping cart pushing with a dress like that on, right through the crowd of white trash people in their curlers, dirty smelly nascar tank tops, and barefoot. Wink  Don't think "freaking out the people at Piggly Wiggly" (yes, that's really the name of our grocery store) would work as an excuse for the hubster though Wink

Dollbecky, I think I'm gonna pull that one out next time I get caught with a big mess on the floor and my sewing stuff all over the table lol.  "But I just want to look nice for you!"  His favorite color on me is white.  Which knowing my clumsy habits is just asking for trouble.  Plus I feel like I look like a wanna-be bride in all white lulz.

Aislynn, I go to those types of cultural events, too!  They're tons of fun.  Sadly, I work most evenings as a ghost tour guide, so I don't get to go to many at all.  Plus, even in "Old South" Charleston, people just don't dress up for ANYTHING anymore.  It's sad, really.  And I have to tell myself DUH!  My husband and I are artists, and we very occasionally even get to attend our own art openings!  Why not make a dress for the next one?!  lol "But dear, I want everyone to know you have a creative and beautiful wife for your opening!  I have to look nice for you!"

I should do the picnic in the park thing. Wink  Bring my retro "china" and my cheap silverplate candleabras hahahaha.

Thanks ladies!  Cheesy  It's sad that society seems to try to keep us from dressing up any day besides prom and our wedding, with a possible mother of the bride role years later.  LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
mental_freeze
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009 07:47:03 PM »

I agree with Bladerunner--more parties!!!  Adult proms are always an excuse for serious formalwear.  My grad school department had a prom every year in addition to other silly parties where we could get dressed up (however fine or fugly we wished).     
THIS ROCKS   Logged
churchofdisco
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009 05:33:52 PM »

if the first dress were made in a cotton type fabric, i'd probably just wear it with ballet flats as an every day dress. i feel ya on no one in your area dresses up for anything. i live in oklahoma city and NO ONE dresses up to go anywhere. however, i don't really give a hoot if no one else dresses up. what's wrong with being the best dressed person in the restaurant and inspiring others to start putting a little effort into it. oh if the other ladies only knew that it actually ISN'T any more effort to dress nicely. it doesn't take any more effort to pull on a cute dress than it does to pull on some frumpy mom jeans and a baggy t-shirt. i'm a stay at home mom to three boys under the age of five and i wear dresses and skirts all the time. more than i wear pants.

anyway, the second one could easily be a day dress too if you took off the train and made it in a day-time type fabric. i'd wear it to hula hoop in the park. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating a Company Logo with Illustrator®
Extreme Website Makeover - Previewing the Finished Website
Extreme Website Makeover - Identifying Ways to Improve a Website
Extreme Website Makeover - Project File Overview
Extreme Website Makeover - Introduction and Project Background
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...