A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,691
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Watercolor print fabric--how to dye?  (Read 12315 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katinthehat131
Knittin' fool

Craft is the new black.

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2009 06:34:11 PM »

So I'm thinking of making a dress with watercolor print...
something like this:

I bought blue, green, yellow, and teal dyes, and have plain white cotton. I want to achieve the effect in the picture above--gradual mixing of colors; and am not sure how to do this. I was thinking maybe hanging up the fabric and dip dying, but i want to use multiple colors, so then I was thinking of using spray bottles and spraying different parts with different colors, maybe use some rock salt after?

Does anyone have any ideas/info on how I could best achieve this watercolor effect?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
-Emily Dickinson, Poems, I
Kalanit
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009 09:05:36 PM »

I was interested in doing the same thing, but have no idea where to start
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ellegal22
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009 01:40:12 PM »

I want to make a dress with those exact colors too! I don't know how to go about it either. I'll look around more, if I find anything I'll be sure to reply to this!
And if you find out please post it on here too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ellegal22
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009 03:36:30 PM »

So I was trying to find info online, and this is the best I found, from the Michael's website. It says to use fabric paint rather than dye:

I have seen watercolor painting with fabric paints. Is it difficult to do? How is it done?
A watercolor look on fabric results in a distinctively subtle effect often seen in todays popular looks, and is ideal for floral designs. A watercolor wash is often used as a soft background or is attractive by itself. The intensity of color depends on the ratio of water to paint and the thickness of the fabric. Mix desired paint color and water to ink consistency. The amount of water can be varied to achieve desired intensity of color. Load brush with this watercolor wash and paint random stripes horizontally, moving brush from side to side. Holding spray bottle approximately 8-12-inches away from fabric, spritz water on fabric, making sure it is evenly saturated. Clean the brush between paint colors, swishing it through water and blotting on a paper towel. Load brush again with a different paint color, paint and spritz as before.  Repeat the process again to add a third paint color. If necessary, spritz again to accelerate the spread of paint. For best results, use equal parts paint and water. Do not use less water than paint. Paint colors generally dry lighter than how they appear wet. Paint becomes more difficult to spread as it dries. Use a hair dryer to quickly prevent paint from spreading further.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009 09:16:03 PM »

Hey, I dye fabric w/fabric paint. I use cheap acrylic paint mixed w/textile medium - no expensive dyes or chemicals. It does some pretty nice stuff. Here are some pics:

This was tied then dyed

The circles are glass globs that were tied then dyed

This one I used rock salt - there's some weird reaction that does some funky stuff

If anyone is interested, I can give you specs on mixing & stuff, it's really not hard. You will need a lot of empty 20 oz. bottles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kalanit
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009 10:48:31 PM »

I never thought of using acrylics with fabric medium instead of dye. Such a nicer alternative with stunning results. Thanks for sharing your past projects little me, I love how organic this dying technique looks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kewlmomma
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009 08:42:32 AM »

I'll take that offer. I wouldn't mind knowing how to do this. Thanks  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition form mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009 09:27:51 AM »

I'll take that offer. I wouldn't mind knowing how to do this. Thanks  Grin

Yes, this is very nice and I would think you would have more control. Please share.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009 09:34:01 AM »

Ok, here goes -

Go to your craft store & buy a 2 oz. bottle of acrylic paint & a 2 oz. bottle of textile medium. Look for the textile medium first & buy paint from same brand. Clean your 20 oz. bottle. Dump in the textile medium then your paint I pour water into the empty paint & textile med. bottle & shake to get every bit out (the little bottles are cleaned out when I'm done). You will basically get 20 oz. of fabric paint.

Basic supplies that are helpful:
- Pipettes (plastic eye droppers) you can put the paint exactly where  you want it.
- Different sizes of window screens from 2nd hand stores.
- Plastic, flat covers from containers to dye on.
- Large bowls to dye on.
- Spray bottle.
- Microwave (for setting fabric also creates designs).
- Clothes dryer.
- Rubber gloves.
- Tongs.

Now you get whatever you want to dye & fold, tie, scrunch = the skys the limit. Use your imagination & experiment w/small pieces of fabric before you dye a big project. For small items, I cut my fabric to the finished size to get most of the design.

Take a look at this site: www.pburch.net/dyeing.shtml. It has lots of great info that will help inspire you.

Microwaving fabric creates designs on fabric along w/setting it. Drying in the sun creates interesting effects too, but you have to wait a looong time. A LOT OF YOUR DESIGN DEPENDS ON HOW YOU FOLD, TIE, OR CLAMP YOUR FABRIC.

Dyeing fabric has come a long way from just tying w/string & dying we used to do back in the day. Ive used glue, clamps, wax, bleach & salt to dye & they all create wonderful, different things. Its always exciting to cut the strings because you never know what you will see.

Hope this helps. Once you get started, its real fun. Let me know if you have any questions, Im glad to help you get started.  Smiley

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009 10:28:42 AM by little me » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009 12:32:17 PM »

Thank you so much for sharing. I will be trying some microwave dye after I finish some swap projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Straight Hair for a Long Face
How to Style Thick Hair for a Heart Shaped Face
How to Style Fine Thinning Hair to a Round Face
How to Style Thick Wavy Hair for a Round Face
Hair Styling Tips for an Oval Face
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...