A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Care packages for soldiers -- what to put inside?  (Read 3113 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lil_abi
« on: June 03, 2009 05:20:35 PM »

My mother called today with a request.  She now knows 2 men who are going to Iraq and Afghanistan, respectively.  She is friends with their mothers and wives, respectively.  And she, ever the giver (cookies, fabric, garbage bags of stuff from my childhood room, recipes, newspaper clippings, furniture, etc.), wants to send care packages.  Sure, she could just whip up a batch of the cookies for which she is famous (and for which she is known as Judie Crocker), but she wants this to be helpful to the guys receiving them, not just full of cookies.  Weve been in these wars long enough for people to have figured out what to send in care packages, right?  I mean, some folks must have it down to a science.

So I ask you, dear crafters, what should she send in her care packages?  These are both guys in their early to mid-twenties, one married, one single.  I had heard somewhere along the line that soldiers actually asked for mundane necessities of life, such as sweatsocks and toilet paper, but I may be making that up.  Shes counting on us, so lets have at it: brainstorm away!

Mods, I'm not sure if this fits here, but I think it might.  If you disagree, please move it to where it is more appropriate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009 09:08:21 AM »

Hmmmm, I know that we have a lot of solider's wives, daughters, mothers around so I'm sure they can help out. I'm gonna think about it too and see what I can come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Idle Hands
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009 06:30:00 PM »

There's a website (www.anysoldier.com) set up just for soldiers to put out requests for things that would make their stay more comfortable. Where many of them are stationed have almost nothing compared to the luxuries we're used to.  

Some just ask for letters with positive words of encouragement. Others are looking for magazines, books and the like to keep them entertained.  And there's some troops who need toiletries, socks, beverage mixes, and commercially packaged snacks.  Flashlights and batteries come in handy because the power may not be reliable.  

They cannot accept home-made items and being in the desert the heat turns chocolate into soup in our mild to warmer months.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009 06:32:57 PM by Idle Hands » THIS ROCKS   Logged

What would you get if you crossed a goat and a sheep?
An animal that eats tin cans and gives back steel wool.
Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009 07:49:09 AM »

My brother was stationed over there and he did ask for the necessities.  I would definitely put some magazines or any form of entertainment as they get bored and lonely over there.  They do have some activities, but something like a little handheld game they can play while in their bunks would be nice, too!  PHONE CARDS!!!!  My mom would always send a few of those!  Of course letters of encouragement and support are cherished.  Maybe you know some children who could draw pictures of how they see the soldiers helping the country/people.  I may consider taking some pictures of home and sending- a nice, refreshing, cool river or something of that nature.  Also, my bro really liked those Crystal Light (Great Value brand is better in some flavors!) drink mix packets.

Hope that helps! And give your mom a hug for me for being so good hearted!!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
hoppy

she's crafty, she gets around...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009 01:09:36 PM »

I send at least two care packages a month to soldiers I contacted through www.anysoldier.com, it's such a great thing to do! All the ideas above are great, but I would wait on the phone cards as some will
have free phone use, depending on where they are and phone cards get expensive! However, if they do end up needing them they would be a godsend.
  Right now the temperatures in Iraq and Afghanistan are climbing towards the summer high of 110-130 degrees, so things to keep them cool are very popular. Freezer pops are a hot commodity!! However, make sure they have access to a freezer, and make sure to double bag in ziploc bags in case of leakage. If you want to get crafty, cool ties are like gold-they are neck scarves filled with water-absorbing pellets that can help them fight the heat. Google "Ships project", "cool ties" or "neck gators" for instructions.
   Individual drink powders are always popular, especially since they have to drink water constantly to stay hydrated in the heat.
  Although needs will vary depending on where they are, here are some things it seems like everyone asks for:
*healthy, individually packaged snacks (granola bars, nuts, protein bars, etc.)
*BEEF JERKY
*tuna in foil packets
*magazines
*razor cartridges
*wet wipes
*toilet paper (take out the roll, squish, put in ziploc bag)
*toiletries (do not send anything with a scent in the same package as food!!!! )

I hope she has fun with her care packages and I guarantee they will love them!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lil_abi
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009 06:20:05 AM »

Thanks for your great ideas!  I'm passing them along.  Keep 'em coming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
LoveoftheDark
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009 01:16:54 PM »

lip balm and wet wipes. also american magazines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sketchbook swap? Contact me if you're interested!
Other personal swap? Totally interested!
sillyellie

Definately not Jacob, definately!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009 09:41:37 PM »

My father is in Iraq right now
and here is a website that i used
to get ideas.

http://thefuntimesguide.com/2005/09/soldierpackages.php
http://www.armywives.com/index.php/component/option,com_content/task,section/id,8/Itemid,55/
http://www.militarycarepackageideas.org/

His birthday will be spent there so im thinking about sending him one of
those cakes you bake in a jar so he just has to open it up and eat it!
 Cheesy

oh and i would also recommend getting them
something that it specifically sold in your area
like in michigan we have a brand of soda called
faygo.

When the soldiers or troops (since soldier is
technically only an member of the army) are over
there they stay on bases part of the time. The bases
have bxs which are our forms of grocery/department
super wallmart type stores, so they are able to get
many retail items.

I know even some of the bases, like my dad's have
a few chow halls and a BK.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009 09:47:49 PM by sillyellie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

im a craftster lurker =]
(always online admiring but never posting)

http://www.wists.com/sillyellie
http://www.myspace.com/sillyellie

two things i am excited about:
moving to florida in august for disney intership
twilight swap - & 1st ever =]
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009 09:52:20 PM »

foot care items  are another thing we have been having lots of requests for. neosporin with pain relief.
all the above stuff
dried fruit (the pineapple chunks are always welcome)
also  tell your mom that using a flat rate box  has best shipping rates.  and to mark it that it can be given to the chaplin if the soldier is not located.  the chaplin will find soldiers to divy it up between.
that way  she doesn't have to pay  to get it back. and its not a total loss if gets to the wrong place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009 05:37:43 PM »

Phone cards, trail mix (without any bits that melt)

small, colorful treats.... they live in an ACU and od green world surrounded by sand
The guys I have in my life missed bright colors.  Unfortunately, often the only bright color they got to see with any regularity was blood red.   Sad

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stuffed Flank Steak
Holiday Rolls
How to Make Herb Gravy
Butterflied Turkey Recipe
Delicious Steak Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...