A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: V for Vendetta Balsa Wood ATCs  (Read 4823 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hipslikecinderella
Alice, where's your tongue?

View Profile WWW
« on: June 03, 2009 03:30:38 PM »

I really love Alan Moore and David Lloyd's V for Vendetta.  I believe that it's my favorite Moore novel to date (and yes, it is so much better than the movie).  

There's a passage in the book that I found to be beautifully written.  It's when V delivers a powerful and melancholy monologue.  It goes

It is a tangled and unhappy tale of hearts betrayed and loyalty misplaced. It was not I that strayed. My love was Justice, and, infatuated with her truth and loveliness, I worshiped her. ...Until, behind my back, she took up with a man who violated and abused her; someone fierce and brutal and burned children on his breath. He changed her. She acquired a taste for leather, chains and whips. The Justice that I loved was gone; who had such kindly eyes; who took such small and careful steps...

Transformed, she glared through narrow slits and ground good men beneath her vicious heel. Imagine what I learned of her affair... My anger and my shame to think how they'd made mock of all that I loved. My Justice and her bestial swayne, cavorting in their bloodstained sheets. Still, all in love and war is fair, they say. This being both, and turnabouts fair play. Though I must bear a cuckold's horns, they are not a crown that I shall bear alone. You see, my rival, though inclined to roam, possessed at home a wife that he adored. He'll rue his promiscuity, the rogue who stole my only love, when he's informed how many years it is since first I bedded his."

Instead of using traditional cardstock as my canvas, I decided to write out this passage onto a thin plank of balsa wood, "age" it, and then slice it up into card slices.  I love unusual surfaces!  As for writing technique, I use metal nibs and dip my pen into a pot of India ink.  Now, I haven't done calligraphy in about five years, so my hand is far from perfect.  I still liked how it turned out, though. Oh, I used my favorite hand for this project: textura quadrata. Smiley

Here's the prepared balsa wood plank as well as the final panel inked.

And here's what the finished plank looks like before it was chopped into the familiar ATC size.

A lot more information and photos can be found in my journal here, where the steps are detailed.

This is my first project post on Craftster, and I'm totally inspired by all the works I've seen here. Cheesy  Thank you for taking a look!

EDIT: Holy crap, I just saw that this was selected as one of the best ATC projects in 2009, and I am SO floored and touched.  ;__;  Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010 06:34:20 PM by hipslikecinderella » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009 03:55:22 PM »

Your calligraphy looks wonderful to me, and I love the use of the Balsa wood.  I think it looks like an ancient manuscript.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
JadedJenn

Valar morghulis.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009 04:15:53 PM »

Your writing is beautiful! I've been wanting to read this novel ever since I saw the movie. Now I'm inspired to get a copy.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
My Wists
crendon
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009 04:20:12 PM »

you hand-lettered that?!  Shocked  gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
corduroy cat
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009 04:43:50 AM »

Shocked fantastic job! balsa wood is hard to work on! i did some atcs on printable balsa but the wood kept curling cause i had to spray it with varnish to protect the ink. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teeisme

That's my boy, Petey!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009 04:55:32 AM »

Shocked WOWZERS!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tee
finished the 100 ATC Theme Challenge!!
I'm the ATC - DT in a new Vintage group. Come join me   http://vintageflaire.ning.com/
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009 05:24:28 AM »

Wow! That is very impressive. I love the way the ATCs look, and thanks for printing the quote - it's very powerful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucyravenscar.etsy.com
lucyravenscar.blogspot.com
lucyravenscar.tumblr.com
hipslikecinderella
Alice, where's your tongue?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009 07:42:19 PM »

Thank you for all of the wonderful comments, everyone!  Kiss

@Onyxnox - Thank you kindly!  I am absolutely in love with illuminated manuscripts, so I play around with calligraphy to hopefully make it look like something old.

@JadedJenn - Thank you so much!  Oh, definitely go and pick it up. Cheesy  It's such a powerful, strong, and moving novel.  Kind of crazy to think that it was written in the 90s, too!

@crendon - Yes, I did, thank you!  I used to do calligraphy in high school as part of my senior project, and the best book I've ever come across for practice is David Harris' The Art of Calligraphy.  I have an older printing of it, but it's very thorough, has good history, and gives great instruction and direction on strokes for a variety of hands.

@corduroy cat - Thank you, corduroy cat!  Yeah, balsa wood can be a huge pain to work with because mine was curling quite a bit.  When I realized how the sealer would affect it, I eased up on it.  Flattening the plank underneath stacks of hardcover textbooks and then storing the cut cards in a plastic sheet protector helped keep those suckers flat!

@Angry Angel - Thank you very much!  You're very welcome. Wink  I hope you're able to read this book from the library!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

latisslainte
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009 08:49:17 AM »

Oh wow, you are so talented!  Beautiful calligraphy and I LOVE the idea of making ATCs w/ balsa wood...  I am totally kicking myself now b/c I just GAVE AWAY a bunch of balsa wood that I didn't know what to do with,  urgh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschkitty
Beading & forum addicted!

www.kitschkitty.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009 11:43:09 AM »

stunning! they're fab.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you love to chat about beading come join us at www.uk-beaders.co.uk/forum.htm
Find hundreds of UK based bead suppliers and more at www.uk-beaders.co.uk

Kitty's Unique Boutique
Custom creations designed to delight   www.kitschkitty.co.uk
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tati Westbrook Styles Her Friend - Beverly Hills Style!
Bright Lips Tutorial
How to Create Cat Eye Style
How to Apply False Lashes
Get the Look from Jason Wu Spring 2014
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...