A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bookcase to nightstand  (Read 979 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nerdyhippy
« on: June 04, 2009 12:24:02 PM »

I had two small bookcases that I turned into nightstands to go on either side of our bed.

Before:

I took one of the shelves and made it into a door to make it look more nightstand-y. I also added some thick cardboard to the back to enclose everything.

After:

The nightstand for the right side is the same except the door opens the other direction so you can reach things from the bed.

I will probably paint it once we settle on bedroom colors. And by "we" I mean "I" because every time I ask my fiance a decor question he responds with "if that's what you want."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunnyface
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009 01:34:06 PM »

I love it!  That's a great idea. Cheesy  How hard was it to turn the shelf into a door? 

I will probably paint it once we settle on bedroom colors. And by "we" I mean "I" because every time I ask my fiance a decor question he responds with "if that's what you want."

That's exactly how my boyfriend is.  We just bought our first house and I've been planning and painting and decorating and he's been thoroughly unhelpful.  I guess maybe he just really doesn't care?  But I would like to know that he's happy and liking the plans as well.  Oh well, I'm just glad we're not stuck with boring white walls anymore, and if he doesn't like what I'm doing he should have chimed in when I asked him if he had any preferences for what seems like the billionth time.  Boys... Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nerdyhippy
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009 01:46:55 PM »

The shelf was already the right width so all I did was turn it 90 degrees and screw on small hinges. It's a tight enough fit that I didn't need a latch, the doorknob is just there to make it easy to open.

Yea for the most part my fiance doesn't care how I decorate as long as it's not too girly. Every once in awhile I ask something crazy like "can I make the slipcover hot pink?" to make sure he's paying attention.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009 01:49:53 PM by nerdyhippy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009 02:55:38 PM »

Haha that is a great idea! And here I just spent two months and my sanity searching for nightstands for our room!

And isn't it infuriating to have someone say, "whatever you want, dear." and then come back and start making changes!!!! That is how mine is. I finally got the living room done the way I like it, and he goes, "What if we switched these two walls."  Shocked

Haahaha oh well....  Again, great idea, and great execution!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Are Blondes and Brunettes Actually Treated Differently?
The Hairstyle That Will Fit Your Face
How to Get Eye Shadow Highlights for Natural Hair
Hollywood Waves Hair Tutorial
How to Rock a Messy Braid Updo
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...