A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,098
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: skipped stitches on topstitching  (Read 900 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LDesjardin
« on: June 03, 2009 11:42:35 AM »

My new machine has been doing well and I made a bag for my best friend yesterday. I've been working on a bag today. It's pleated on the bottom piece with an attached yoke. Here's the problem - I want to top stitch the yoke, but I have to go over the thicker part of the bottom piece where the pleats are. Every time I hit those areas I get skipped stitches. It's stitching fine otherwise. I've changed the needle but it's still doing it. Any suggestions?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

soorawn
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009 01:22:02 PM »

check the foot.  Adjust it to see if it works better with more or less pressure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Alexus1325
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009 04:53:43 PM »

Yep, may work better if the foot is lowered all the way. What ya do is lower the foot lever, unscrew the little screw that attaches the foot-clip to the shaft just enough that it's loose. Now raise the lever slowly til the foot-clip is at the lowest part of the shaft without falling off. Tighten up the screw. That will put maximum pressure on your work. Do the opposite to make the pressure lighter (which is what you need to do to sew stretchy stuff).

If you have forty bucks laying around (I wish I did Tongue), you could go buy an even-feed foot, also called a walking-foot, which makes sure all the layers move forward at the same time. Don't get one of the cheapo 15 dollar ones, I hear they are junk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soorawn
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009 12:05:23 AM »

I didn't specify how to do it because there are different systems according to the machine and I don't know what machine the OP has.  Mine uses a knob on the side that regulates the foot pressure. No screws to adjust.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
sewnutzz
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009 05:05:34 PM »

A couple of hints:

First, lengthen your stitch length just a bit.  This will give you a little more thread and may solve the problem. 

If you can easily adjust the presser foot pressure, loosen it (the adjustment is usually on the top of the machine just over the presser foot).  I do not think I would mess with the mechanics unless  you are willing to possibly pay a service person to correct what you did.

Use a hump jumper.....The hump jumper is a handy little tool that will save much frustration when sewing over thick seams. It works as a lever, keeping the presser foot level with the height of the seam. Start by using it in back of the foot to raise it to the height of the seam. Next, bring it to the front to hold the foot up so it doesnt fall off the edge of the seam. It also goes by the name of Jean-a-ma-jig.
Go slow and when you come to the thicker area, use the hump jumper and go slow.  You may even want to manually turn the hand wheel.

Here is a link to some tips for sewing blue jeans and denim, very applicable to making bags:  http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/archives/2005/08/downtown_no_fin.htm

Good luck,
SewNutzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010 09:24:58 PM »

Lenthening the stitches is a good idea. Another good idea might be to clean (Or have cleaned) your sewing machine. If you have your sewing machine manual, it will tell you where to oil and grease (I use Vaseline Petroleum Jelly, thanks to my Sewing Machine Shop guy). Another idea would be to slow down when you get to your folds. (I tend to go too quickly when I'm topstitching ...)

Apparently, one ought have their Sewing Machine serviced about once a year (Especially if they use it as ... often as I do). If you use your machine lightly (IE fewer than 10 times a month) you ought have it serviced fewer times (1ce every 2 years?)

Good luck with your machine and your sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Cod With Oranges 1-2-3
How to Make Sautéed Peaches with Chardonnay Vanilla Syrup
How to Make Lemon Pancakes
How to Make a Pot Luck Cheese Platter
How to Make a Cheese Plate Extraordinaire
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...