A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,777
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ikea Ikebana  (Read 23458 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: June 02, 2009 07:37:47 PM »

This is my first time trying one of the challenges!  Tongue  so i guess here goes:

Ikea Ikebana!

The first thing i thought of was paper flowers...but i didnt want the usual "put on a pipecleaner and crumple into a ball" flowers...i wanted something a bit more.....sleek, i guess?

Ikebana (which is, for anyone who doesnt know, Japanese flower arranging) was something that had caught my interest a lil bit ago...so i figured, why not give it a shot?

Add one thrift store pot + an outdated 2007 Ikea catolouge =  fun times!

The branches were made by taking some wire and wrapping masking tape around them.  Then i wrapped strips of pages around them all paper mache like, dipping them in gluey water and such.  i tried to use wood like and/or brownish pages so they looked more branches.

I cut out little leaflets, poked some holes in them and attached them to some green wire, then i wrapped the wire around the branches (after they had dried of course Grin )

The flowers were made my cutting out some circle...petaly shaped...thingies.  I used some of the title pages which were mostly the same color so i could get mostly blue flowers.  i made them bigger to smaller and threaded some more green wire thru the middle of those...and made a little circle twisty part out of the access wire for the stamen.  

I hot glued some leftover floral foam (from the original ugly flowers in the thrift store pot  Tongue ) into the bottom of the pot.  i arranged all the bits, hot glued the sticks in there so they wouldnt come out.

for the "dirt" i admit i didnt use a catalog...what i did use was newspaper and add papers...which are almost the same thing  Tongue  i used one of those "paper mache clay/paste" recipes (not really one in particular...i kinda mixed a few together and improvised) i just spread that on the bottom...its still wet in the pics and i imagine it will be for a while...that stuff is SOPPING!  

hehe...so then i went ahead and stabbed the wire "stems" of the flowers into the foam/dirt....and voila!

sorry theres no "making of" pics...im too ADD to remember to take them...but heres the "aftermath"....not as messy as it usually is...i remembered to clean a bit as i worked this time    Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009 07:46:14 PM by silverhart » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009 08:13:22 PM »

Those blue flowers are really pretty! Great Job.

Alice, where's your tongue?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009 08:31:38 PM »

What a creative way to repurpose a catalog!  I love the simplicity of the project/flower arrangement, and the blooms you've made are gorgeous.  I really like the detail on them and their delicate, fragile appearance.

crafty gurll
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009 08:37:03 PM »

That is totally awesome.  Somehow you made Ikea even better than it already is! Wink

I am Human

Created to Create

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009 10:35:26 PM »

oh. oh. oh. brilliant. beautiful.

Fashion, art, friends, life....

God's thunder spits fire...and sends the oak trees dancing, a wild dance, whirling; the pelting rain strips their branches. We fall to our knees-we cry out, "glory".
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009 04:25:41 AM »

that is so beautiful. I was confused when I looked at the thumbnail picture, I didn't realise it was made of paper! the colours are really nice, subtle.
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009 07:45:04 AM »

thats really cute!  Looks real in the first pic.  very pretty. I'd put it on my coffee table (if I had one, and if my children wouldn't distroy it.)

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009 09:28:39 AM »

80's Hairstyle Rock and Roll

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009 11:22:32 AM »

Very cool.

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009 02:43:59 PM »

I think this looks so delicate, and my favorite shot is the last one. Looks like home. Really, this is wonderful.

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY a Not So Ugly Christmas Sweater!
Top 8 Ways to Add Sparkle to Your Style
Top 5 Ugly Sweaters for the Holidays
Jessica Simpson Shows Us How to Wear Red for the Holidays
How to Make a Tulle Skirt
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...