A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Favorite Craft Stores in Toronto!!!  (Read 33329 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarahbug
Personal Swaps anyone? Message me!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 02, 2009 07:16:44 PM »

Thought it would be fun to post some of our fav. craft stores (in Toronto/GTA) and maybe give others an idea of some places to check out that they have never been before! That's always fun.

Also, would anyone be interested in maybe starting a little Toronto meet up group for a different crafting theme once per month? Might be fun.. at diff. locations each time? Let me know and I would be happy to start something of the such!

Some of my fav. crafty places in Toronto:

-Kensington Market - good for all sorts of finds.. i.e. - vintage buttons, fabrics, beading stuff, etc.
-China town - great for unusual beads.. and cheeeeaaappp!!
-Scrapbooks by Design (Located on Queen East in the Beaches) - great scrapbooking store.. I am from the US originally and we have TONS of stores, I have managed to find a few in Toronto, but love this one the very best! Plus the owners are my neighbors and they rock!
-The Workroom - (Located on Queen West) is a place where you can sew and/or craft by the hour! They have sewing machines on site and offer classes as well!

Post away!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/shop/slfloyd31 - My etsy shop where you'll find a mish-mash of funky cute vintage pieces & handmade lovelies by ME (:

http://wists.com/sarahbug31 - My Wist-aroo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I luvvv personal swaps!  - message me!
k-roc
yarnophile

likes stuff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009 10:06:33 AM »

Mary Maxim in the RioCan Centre at Yonge and Eglinton is great. There's another larger location in Ontario somewhere, but this one is great, and the staff is super helpful and friendly.

You should check out the Craftster meetup in Toronto page! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=298463.0
 We've already met once, and we're going to meet again soon! There's even pics of our first meet-up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I "Wist" you'd stalk me...
http://www.wists.com/ScarlettBegonia

If you're gonna dine with them cannibals, well sooner or later darling you're going to get eaten.
twilightmiracle
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009 04:24:39 PM »

-The Workroom - (Located on Queen West) is a place where you can sew and/or craft by the hour! They have sewing machines on site and offer classes as well!

What a great concept, I might check them out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009 11:48:47 PM »

How have I missed this thread?

I love shopping Chinatown.  I have a picture the Toronto Star or Sun took of my grandmother shopping with me in Chinatown when I was just a baby, so it was bred into me.  Two of my favourite stores on Spadina are B and J at Baldwin and Spadina - lots of little novelty items.  There is also a DeSerres and a Curry's within walking distance, as well as Gwartzmann's for art supplies.  Also Plaiter Place, just North of B and J, for woven baskets and other woven items.  Lots of places to get discount shirts for stenciling, or just to get neat stuff.  All the eclectic stores in Kensington - like Courage My Love, and I miss Little Tokyo. 

I routinely shop along Queen West, all the bead stores there, especially Artons.  But if you keep heading West, there is also Mokuba for GORGEOUS ribbons.  MacFab for buttons, fabric, etc.  Romni Wools - wool, patterns, so much stuff for knitters/crocheters/weavers/felters.  There is also the Paper Place too for japanese print papers etc.  There are other places too, but I can't remember their names right now.

I also love the Danforth, the stretch between Broadview and Pape - lots of cute little stores - more for getting inspiration from than buying materials.  My favourites there (other than the restaurants) would be Moss, IQliving, and the Cook's Place.  Again, more for inspiration than craft supplies.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Missing_Muse

Craft like you care!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009 08:18:58 PM »

I have to add to the list that I lose my mind every time I get to King Textiles- that place just has every kind of fabric my little heart could desire. It's really bad for the wallet.  I left a student loan there once a couple of years ago, but it was worth it, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organizing my first swap:  Go Green Quick and Easy Weekend Swap!
michelle232
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009 12:22:20 PM »

When looking for jewelry components, the place that I really like to go to is Stones and Findings.  They are located right downtown, about two blocks east of yonge st.  They are a wholesaler, but I find even with a $150 minimum things add up fast and it is easy to meet it.  They offer semi-precious stones, freshwater pearls, and a huge assortment of sterling silver findings.  They have a great website which you should definately check out if you are interested.
www.stonesandfindings.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

----------------------------------
http://www.stonesandfindings.com
----------------------------------
C76
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010 06:21:37 PM »

Mary Maxim in the RioCan Centre at Yonge and Eglinton is great. There's another larger location in Ontario somewhere, but this one is great, and the staff is super helpful and friendly.

The main Mary Maxim location you're speaking of is in my hometown--Paris, Ontario. Wink

When I lived in Toronto I enjoyed visiting the stores on Queen West between Spadina and Bathurst. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010 08:26:51 PM »

I forgot to add Aboveground Art Supplies just south of OCAD for art supplies - just started going there recently.  Also my favourite bead store in Scarborough - BeadFx.  I still have to go check out the John Bead store, and a knit store I discovered recently too in Scarborough.  Will report on those when I get a chance to visit them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
sarasvati

love for crafting!

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010 09:09:29 AM »

Onyx - did you check out the knit store in scarborough and was it any good? What is the name of it? I work in scarborough and would love a new wool shop to check out. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lostmittenblog.blogspot.com - my crafting blog
http://www.flickr.com/lost_mitten - my flickr
I'm Craftster's August 2009 Featured Needlework Artist!

(Mini) Nerd Swap - sign-ups right now! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=342519.0
Onyxnox

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010 09:16:17 PM »

It is near the Costco at Warden and Ellesmere, I think maybe in the stripmall at the South West corner?  I have not been yet, but I have the website somewhere, so I will try to post it when I get a chance.  Unfortunately I have not had a chance to look yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Downloaded Fonts for Scrapbooking
How to Sell Digital Scrapbooking Products
How to Save Money on Your Scrapbooking
How to Label and Identify Scrapbooking Albums
How to Get Started Scrapbooking
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...