A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Card Holder from Retail Store...becomes Plant Boxes and Table!!  (Read 7399 times)
Tags for this thread: planter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rosella

Where there's a will, there's a way!

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2005 12:28:11 PM »

I used to work at this health food store and part of my job was ordering the cards.  One day we decided that our old card display rack was in need of a replacement.  Once the new one arrived, I knew that I couldn't let the old display be thrown into the dumpster.  So with my boss thinking I was crazy, I backed my truck up to the loading dock and we hoisted the old display into it.  This display was about 8 or 9 feet tall and it was a square shape that swiveled at the base.  Many of the plastic card holder trays were cracked or broken.
Once home, I started to think about what to do with it.  I decided to cut off a 2 foot section from the top.  This part I do not have a picture of, becasue I gave it to my friend.  It had the top and 4 poles attached under it (llike a table), with plastic card holders going all the way around.  I tiled the top and added rocks and soil to the "plant boxes".  I also added 1 screw into each foot, creating an adjustable foot (for leveling). And it became this unique planter table, that is perfect for growing herbs in.

With the rest of the display, I took off the remaining plastic boxes, measured and attached them to the wall of our garage.  I put river rocks in the base of them for drainage, then filled with potting soil, then planted with ground cover types of plants and chicks and hens.

There was still more left of the card holder and I couldn't let it go to waste.  What was left was the base, the part that swiveled.  I figured that it would make a great outdoors side table, so I tiled the top with the same tiles I used on the planter table (above), and viola, a rolling end table with swivel top.

The "shelves" on this fence were also from a display, a different one.

I wanted to send this project in to Readymade Mag but forgot too.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009 01:13:39 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
happify
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005 03:19:16 PM »

That's awesome!  Great job thinking outside the box and reusing and making beautiful things, all in one!  I love the rows of plants on your garage especially...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
retroeva
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005 12:20:50 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked
That is such a great idea! I wonder if the hallmark store here would be willing to send some my way. That is a really great way to save space too! That would be great for us college kids who cant really dig up the apartments courtyard to grow stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
Irisheyez
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005 04:19:44 PM »

What a fabulous idea!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raina

I'm up for personal swaps.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005 11:37:23 PM »

oh how wonderful! i'm totally obsessed with terra cotta and window boxes, etc.. right now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Website | Blog | Etsy | Wists.

I have beading supplies and various other supplies to swap for cute fabric. I'm in Canada.
ILiveForJesus
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005 08:19:09 AM »

Ultra Coolio!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bamabee
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005 08:37:08 AM »

You call it recycling.  I call it Genius!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
modpodge
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2005 09:21:20 AM »

Amazing, the things people throw away! That looks so great...can you see the roots through the clear plastic?! I absolutely LOVE this!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkcurtains
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005 11:39:06 PM »

wow!  what a cool idea, thanks for sharing! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VikingBabe
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006 09:55:08 AM »

That is incredibly cool!  We have a place called "ReStore" here - it's a Habitat for Humanity overage and donation collection center that sells what they have to benefit the program - I know they'll have something I can use soon to do this (at least by the time the world up here thaws in spring).  I am going to use that fence of mine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Ponytail Look Polished and Professional
How to Make Your Manicure Last
Pepto Bismol Acne Fighting Facial
Our 5 Minute Makeup Routine
Costello Tagliapietra Fall 2014 NYFW Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...