A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 126
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Come one come all post your new tattoo IDEAS!  (Read 285587 times)
Tags for this thread: spy1_vs_spy2  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sapphire_distortion
« Reply #1130 on: January 03, 2009 08:59:17 AM »

Quote from: pikaboo26
So... just finished reading American Gods last week. I new I had heard of it somewhere waaaay before I ever read it and remembered this thread. I MUST HAVE AN AMERICAN GODS TAT NOW! Totally with you on that one. I'm getting sucked into Neil Gaiman's little universe. I'm thinking about getting one from the Sandman series too, but I don't want something overdone or cheese like a kanji symbol for "Dream" or something, so I'm at a loss for ideas on that one. (Does anyone except sapphire_distortion get that? lolz). Anywho... as for the American Gods tat, I thought of getting that Herodotus quote, "Call no man happy until he is dead." Of course, that would be more from Herodotus than Neil Gaiman, but I still think it sounds pretty cool. Or, the blue forget-me-nots that Easter has around her wrist (although I know of at least one person who already has this). Still trying to rack my brain for other ideas.

Oh, and did you ever get that Neverwhere piece you were talking about? If so, post pics, woman! Cheesy

I'm not sure what a good American Gods tat would be. I DID come up with something for Neverwhere though - this is going to be in my back piece that I'm starting asap (when I have the money *big sigh*). I'm going to have the symbols from the alethiometer (from the His Dark Materials series) in the circle, drawn like the alethiometer and everything...and then inside that circle, have a basic sketch of a door (just three lines, like towards the end of Neverwhere) and a key (like the one he finds in the chamber, after passing the test) vertically inside the door. And then I'll have Huginn and Munnin on each shoulder, which is mostly because the vast majority of my ancestry is Scandinavian, but the association with American Gods doesn't help either Wink I cannot WAIT to have it all done. I would like to have a knotwork design under the alethiometer, following the curve of my back and coming to a point at my waist, but I want something specifically Norse-influenced, not Celtic knotwork, and I am having a hell of a time finding it, so it might have to wait.

PS - if anyone steals my tattoo idea (all of it, anyways, I certainly wouldn't mind someone taking the Neverwhere idea and running with it) I will hunt you down and poke you to death with pins Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1131 on: January 03, 2009 12:23:23 PM »

I'm STILL contemplating the exact tattoo for my son.
I'm pretty sure I posted a while back on this....
I'm also still leaning towards a daffodil, because I think a big yellow flower would look killer on the side of my neck Smiley
I made a quick (and crappy) mock-up the other day. It's on the left side, and I'd want it on the right, but it gives me an idea anyways...
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/w0edcmlx.jpg

I think it would look great, plus you'd always have your own personal accessory when you go out!  Cheesy  I want a tatt on the back right side of my neck of my son's initials, just not sure what font, maybe Morpheus?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009 01:06:02 PM by MareMare - Reason: removal of image tags in quoted pics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pikaboo26
#LOFNOTC

We're all gonna die. Be good to each other.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1132 on: January 03, 2009 01:44:52 PM »

I DID come up with something for Neverwhere though - this is going to be in my back piece that I'm starting asap (when I have the money *big sigh*).

My problem as well. I seriously have 10 different ideas on the back burner because I'm flat broke and haven't even been able to afford my first one. These are the ones I can remember at the moment:

-the symbol for Ka from the Dark Tower series by Stephen King
-the Mark of the Eld and "Unfound," also from the same series
-a dove and a raven facing each other (mirror images) with some type of scrollwork under their feet
-SOMETHING from American Gods/Sandman (maybe forget-me-nots around my ankle rather than my wrist or Herodotus)
-flying pink elephant
-too many literary tat ideas to list here

I found a Sandman tattoo on Contrariwise. It said ,"Sometimes when you fall, you fly." -

So angry she beat me to it, lol. I love Contrariwise. I would suggest checking it out if you want a literary tattoo but you're at a loss for words. Tongue http://www.contrariwise.org/

Also, Jezebel, I love the daffodil. The tat is supposed to be for you AND your son, so I don't think the flower is a bad choice. You're the one who has to wear it everywhere, after all. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009 01:47:10 PM by pikaboo26 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's North from here?
___________________ _____

"As far as I'm concerned, reality can go take a flying f*ck at a rolling doughnut." -Stephen King
dancedupapillon
« Reply #1133 on: January 03, 2009 05:09:46 PM »

I'm still not sure if I'll ever get it, but I'm thinking a Petit Prince tattoo would be the way to go for me.

I'd either do a quote about the "grandes personnes" (I'm not sure how it's translated, but it means "grownups") because I'm going to be a teacher, so the child's perspective is important to me, or the sheep, which I would probably get with my sister.

Another one I might get is Blaise from Claude Ponti's picture books.  He's a masked chick that shows up in the illustrations of almost all of Ponti's works.  I'm not sure if they've been translated, but they're worth looking up just for the pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #1134 on: January 03, 2009 07:13:31 PM »

I DID come up with something for Neverwhere though - this is going to be in my back piece that I'm starting asap (when I have the money *big sigh*).

My problem as well. I seriously have 10 different ideas on the back burner because I'm flat broke and haven't even been able to afford my first one. These are the ones I can remember at the moment:

-the symbol for Ka from the Dark Tower series by Stephen King
-the Mark of the Eld and "Unfound," also from the same series
-a dove and a raven facing each other (mirror images) with some type of scrollwork under their feet
-SOMETHING from American Gods/Sandman (maybe forget-me-nots around my ankle rather than my wrist or Herodotus)
-flying pink elephant
-too many literary tat ideas to list here

I found a Sandman tattoo on Contrariwise. It said ,"Sometimes when you fall, you fly." -

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/iforgotmyriddlin/1223288039_eaea36d71c_o-300x225.jpg

So angry she beat me to it, lol. I love Contrariwise. I would suggest checking it out if you want a literary tattoo but you're at a loss for words. Tongue http://www.contrariwise.org/

Also, Jezebel, I love the daffodil. The tat is supposed to be for you AND your son, so I don't think the flower is a bad choice. You're the one who has to wear it everywhere, after all. Smiley

I'll check out Contrariwise! Yes, I have two V for Vendetta tattoos (Guy Fawkes mask with "ideas are bulletproof" and the quote from Valerie about the inch), a Clash tattoo, a Buffy quote tattoo, and very possibly some kind of day of the dead flapper or just pretty lady tattoo.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009 07:29:32 AM by kategirl - Reason: Please remove the [img] tag when quoting pictures. Thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
Molly.Connelly
« Reply #1135 on: January 03, 2009 08:33:10 PM »

I'm way scared of needles but there are several tattoo ideas that I've been tossing around for awhile.
first I would like this one (don't know where). it's the symbol for the Shriners. I had my back surgery done at the Shriner's Hospital in Houston when I was 14. I thought it would be a good homage to them.

second I would like this one on my back. I'm not sure about the spine in the middle though. I would have to tweak it to fit around my scar if I did keep it. but I think I'd like it better without it.

and so that you can see my scar better:

I would never ever tattoo over that scar.
I heard that back tattoos hurt more but I also heard that since they cut alot of nerves for my surgery that it shouldn't hurt very much. you could touch my back near my scar and I would barely tell that you where touching me.

and possibly the most important one that I am REALLY considering getting is this one. a friend of mine drew it for me. I've definately decided against the letters though and I want it smaller but I really love this tattoo. it's for my grandfather who died in Vietnam. he's the only family member I have that I look anything like.

my grandpa:

and a old not so great picture of me with no make-up and looong hair, but it best shows how much I look like him:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pikaboo26
#LOFNOTC

We're all gonna die. Be good to each other.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1136 on: January 03, 2009 11:38:55 PM »

I'd either do a quote about the "grandes personnes" (I'm not sure how it's translated, but it means "grownups")

Literally translated it means "big people," but yeah, you got the gist of it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's North from here?
___________________ _____

"As far as I'm concerned, reality can go take a flying f*ck at a rolling doughnut." -Stephen King
mrskimmyl
« Reply #1137 on: January 04, 2009 07:32:00 AM »

phoenix_michiko:

They're all great, but I especially love the back tattoo! I also think it's great that you don't want to cover your scar. From what I've heard, the reason that back tattoos hurt so much is because of the shoulder blades: anytime you go over a bone that's near to the surface it's (supposedly) pretty painful.

BTW: You're grandpa was one handsome guy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kissthegirl
« Reply #1138 on: February 24, 2009 03:03:18 PM »

I've been wanting a tattoo for about the last five years, but 1 have been trying to  find the perfect idea and 2 have been trying to get over my fear of the pain. I've finally decided that I want to get a small Lung Cancer awareness ribbon on my left foot, in honor of my grandmother who died from it in 2003. I figure if she could go through 2 years of chemo and 2 surgeries, I can deal with 30 min of pain.
 My only concern is that the ribbons for Lung Cancer are white/pearl. how well does white ink stay?? I dont really want to get it touched up all the time, and would most likely just get the black outline if it's not going to stay. Any help/tips about white ink??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

someone once told me there's nothing wrong with wanting a fairy tale... everyone lives happily ever after.
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1139 on: February 24, 2009 05:21:48 PM »

white ink is a lot of touching up, if you're doing just white. it usually doesnt look "right" the first time.
a solid white ink tat, although subtle and pretty is a big commitment. and a lot of artists don't like to do them. white/pearl can also be represented by white/clear, depending on which resource you use. I had an artist tell me that yellow can also represent lunch cancer (I designed a piece for a friend who's father passed from it) but have found no proof of this.
She opted to colour it pink. Although the colour for breast cancer, she felt that a black outline with no colour looked unfinished in her piece. The pictures I took are not QUITE finished, as she later returned to have her father's name and DOB/DOD put in the ribbon tails.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 126 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Place Graphics in InDesign CS4
How to Film a Business Profile - Lighting (or Lack Thereof) Pt. 5
How to Film a Business Profile - Pre-Production (Pt. 1)
How to Draw Alfe from The Problem Solverz
How to Draw Blastus from Robotomy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...