A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 126
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Come one come all post your new tattoo IDEAS!  (Read 293566 times)
Tags for this thread: spy1_vs_spy2  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Red Paint

I think it's broken.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #580 on: January 26, 2007 09:35:13 PM »

I need some input on a new crafty tattoo...  For a while, I was thinking of getting the words "Like ice is cold" with a needle and thread wrapped around it (from the Beastie Boys lyric "the girl is crafty like ice is cold"). I love the idea of text for a tattoo, I love me some B Boys, and I love the idea of having a silly metaphor simile tattooed on me.

The drawbacks: the song ("She's Crafty") is not so positive (ah, the various meanings of "crafty").  I'd be embarrassed to explain the tattoo to my brothers (which is my personal gauge for "acceptability" of tattoos).

So I'm attached to the idea of words for my craft tattoo, but just getting the word "crafty" tattooed is too blunt/obvious for me.  I love the craft-themed tattoos of other craftster posters, but I feel like none of my crafts translate well to tattoos (lots of sewing, but no sewing machine; paper crafts, fabric crafts; recycled/repurposed random stuff).  Any other ideas for how to best represent my crafty side in tattoo form?  I'd appreciate ideas!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lexer
If we're all thinking outside the box, doesn't that just put us in a bigger box?

I <3 the smell of a glue gun early in the morning

View Profile WWW
« Reply #581 on: January 28, 2007 10:26:54 AM »

So I'm attached to the idea of words for my craft tattoo, but just getting the word "crafty" tattooed is too blunt/obvious for me.  I love the craft-themed tattoos of other craftster posters, but I feel like none of my crafts translate well to tattoos (lots of sewing, but no sewing machine; paper crafts, fabric crafts; recycled/repurposed random stuff).  Any other ideas for how to best represent my crafty side in tattoo form?  I'd appreciate ideas!  Thanks!

I love the "like ice is cold" idea. it's funny, and yeah, has a double meaning, but I think the needle and thread would sway any one from thinking about the meaning from the song.

Also, I don't know what knid of paper crafts you do, but what about an origami tattoo? Or the recycling arrows symbol, but each arrow ffilled in to look like a different fabric print?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JennJenn

I have my hands full...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #582 on: January 28, 2007 10:58:04 AM »

I really want to have a Tree of Life tattoo but I cannot draw.  I haven't found any images online that are like what I want.  How do I go about putting something together?  The tattoo places near me are all gross (really, like dirty floors, total scratchers) and the place I want to have it done is a two hour drive from here.  It's not like I can pop in and chat about my ideas!  I guess I could do it all online with the artist, but I'm afraid of being annoying or something.

So maybe this is a roundabout way of asking if anyone here has been dying to design a tattoo for me?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...Of knitting, sewing, crochet, and so much more!
DisneyFan
I Love Disney, My Husband Loves Shakira!

« Reply #583 on: January 28, 2007 11:05:11 AM »

I've got to say, with all of the money that gets put into having a tattoo done, I wouldn't worry about being a bother if it means that you have to contact an artist more than once online for help with what you want.  If you can "talk" to one of them via e-mail, I'd try to go that route.  If you get someone who's really great and makes a real effort to get you what you want, maybe you could tip them more than you were planning. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took up running so that I could eat more, not because it feels good.  haha
intergalacticj

jam jam jam jam jam...

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 28, 2007 11:05:58 AM »

I really want to have a Tree of Life tattoo but I cannot draw.  I haven't found any images online that are like what I want.  How do I go about putting something together?  The tattoo places near me are all gross (really, like dirty floors, total scratchers) and the place I want to have it done is a two hour drive from here.  It's not like I can pop in and chat about my ideas!  I guess I could do it all online with the artist, but I'm afraid of being annoying or something.

So maybe this is a roundabout way of asking if anyone here has been dying to design a tattoo for me?  Smiley

you should definately speak with the artist online, you wont be annying, its their job, its what im gonna have to do too  Wink
 maybe if there is an artist you like on deviantart or something you can ask for a comissioned piece, i doubt you will get anything free, i doubt strangers will put a lot of time and effort into your tattoo if they arent getting paid for the design.
i recon you should collect lots of images you like and show them to your artist and they will work on a design with you, even if it is online  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #585 on: January 28, 2007 12:24:15 PM »

As a couple other people said, the job of a tattoo artist involves speaking with the clientelle a LOT. Even if it means online. If you know which artist you would like to go with, don't hesitate to call them and ask them. Or email them.
Other options do include pieces that are comissioned. Do you have any rough sketches or pics that contain parts of what you like? Even ideas towards? A tree of life can be done very simply, and traditionally, but if you wanted something a little more ornate and personal, you would have to be able to communicate what you have in mind, even if you can't draw it. That's what I have my friends and customers do when I work up a piece. Get together ideas of what you like and what you don't, and don't be afraid to say  "No, that's not what I had in mine" if it doesn't strike your fancy.

If you want, I can try and take some of these ideas for you for a rough sketch. If you like it, you can take it to the artist, and they will rework it in the way they see fit to make it beautiful for a long time for you...
Here's some that I designed that have been inked:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
JennJenn

I have my hands full...

« Reply #586 on: January 28, 2007 04:31:13 PM »

Wow, jezebel, those are great!

I think I will go the route of talking with the tattoo artist I have in mind.  I wasn't sure if it was okay to just give him a bunch of different pictures and my ideas, so it's good to know that it's standard practice. I love pepper trees, and I even chose my wedding venue because it was surrounded by pepper trees,  so I want my TOL to be that style of tree.  If I gave the artist a bunch of pepper tree pictures, plus pictures of other elements I like then would that be a good start?  Pretty normal?

I have a very small tattoo, but it is pretty standard and only took about 10 minutes worth of talking to plan out.  It's special to me, and has meaning, but it's not exactly unique.  What I have in mind now feels much more personal and I want it to be right. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...Of knitting, sewing, crochet, and so much more!
bijou_raoul
« Reply #587 on: February 05, 2007 02:48:06 PM »

I want to get a tattoo someday, but I can't really commit to something I feel strongly enough to carve into my body permanently yet. But I am toying around with the idea of a dandelion puff:

because they remind me of my childhood, and dandelions are my favorite flower (I know technically they're "weeds", but I think they're beautiful).

One of my boyfriend's paintings has something similar in it that I really like:

and since my boyfriend is the artist between the two of us, I kind of want him to help me with the design, but I think if I'm going to do that I should wait until we're married or something because if he does it for me and then we break up I'll hate myself for it...but those are a couple of the ideas I've got rolling around in my head these days.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seamshistoric
« Reply #588 on: February 06, 2007 06:07:29 AM »

I've had this design swimming around my head for years:

I had four rats a few years ago and I love them, but the rat represents more the fact that I love misunderstood creatures more than just rats. If you can see the "nai" in it, you're better than most. "Nai" means nephew in Welsh, and the way I wrote it is inspired by Spencerian handwriting, which is the script of my favorite era in time. I'm tempted to turn his tail into a crochet hook to represent my crafting, but I think that's one meaning too many.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Misscritta
« Reply #589 on: February 06, 2007 08:29:08 AM »

Do the crochet hook...I think it would be subtle enough and if you don't...you might regret it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'll have a Bloody Mary and a steak sandwich and... a steak sandwich, please.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 126 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Recycled Materials
How To Play A Augmented 7
Learn How To Trade Emini Future June 15
Creative Greeting Card Ideas
Interview With Comedian Trevor Boris
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...