A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP- me find a spinning wheel that does novelty well.  (Read 1207 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

caprig
« on: September 22, 2009 03:22:30 PM »

Hi you all- been quite a while since I have been on here,  been a ROUGH year.

I was just at a fiber arts festival this past weekend and someone said that she had been to a class with Lexi Boeger. (sp?)  She had recommended a spinning wheel I thought it was called MAgic something- but not sure.  Then there is this wild spindle thingie... She said it was only like $400 or so and I looked through Majacraft and nothing there is that cheap.

I can not ask her again- it was a stranger- and now I am frustrated.

Anyone have any insight?

I have a hitchhiker which -well nothing was wrong with it, but not it is not working after someone trying to be nice modified it for me without me knowing it beforehand.

So, I have to have SOMETHING to spin on, or I will go nuts. 

Anyone have any input?  I loved my little wheel and am very upset.  But I want to get into some novelty stuff which does not work with regular wheels, so I would like to know what might work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009 06:38:53 AM »

Any wheel that offers a jumbo flyer/bobbin would work.  Many manufacturers do.  This gives you the option to spin both 'normal' and novelty yarns.

I use my Ashford Traveller with the Jumob flyer/bobbin to both ply with and to create art yarns.

Also try getting one with a sliding hook instead of regular hooks (the novelty yarns tend to catch on the hooks of my Traveller).

Or check out the Ashford Country Spinner
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
knkurz
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009 04:49:55 PM »

I have an ashford kiwi with a jumbo flyer unit that works alright for me.  My grandma had a Louet S10 that ad huge bobbins and a large orifice.  Cyndi's right about the sliding intake instead of the hooks though - yarns catch all the time on my hooks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009 12:10:01 PM »

I'm not by any means an expert on spinning wheels, but a friend of mine explained to me that a delta orifice is good for novelty yarns. From what I've seen, Fricke wheels and Majacraft have those, not sure about any others... If I'm misunderstanding, I completely welcome any corrections.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009 12:13:56 PM »

I forgot about the delta orifice!!  It does work well for novelty yarns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
caprig
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009 12:03:15 PM »

Thanks, everyone!  Someday maybe I can get one.  Till then, well, I will just have to wing it with what I have.  Sad

Wheels are SO expensive and around here, finding one at a good price almost never happens. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009 01:29:58 AM »

The Majacraft Pioneer is the only one by that maker I've seen that is under $600. They make a darn fine spinning wheel, though. I have to attest to the awesomeness of Fricke spinning wheels. I have the S-160 double treadle. I paid less than $400 with free shipping. Bear in mind I didn't order the portable folding wheel or the level wind attachment. I can spin anything with my Fricke. I have spun super fine laceweight, sock yarns, worsted weight, novelty yarn including super coils and granny stacks, thick and thin, you name it. And the stock bobbins are huge. Mine will hold an entire eight ounces with some room to spare. Even without the jumbo flyer I can spin novelty yarns, but it would help if you wanted more yardage on there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Turkey
How to Fold an Origami Paper Tank
How to Fold an Origami Paper Spaceship
How to fold an origami square base
How to Fold an Origami Paper Crane
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...