A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,441
Currently Running With Scissors:
389 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: All About Interfacing--Questions and Advice  (Read 6335 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2010 11:23:12 AM »

Both ways would be ok, but:
-if you use iron-on interfacing, just cut the pieces without seam allowance, to avoid adding bulk to the seams.  After all, it's going to stay in place.
-if you use non-iron-on interfacing, you'll need the seam allowance.

The power of a machine to work through a certain thickness depends on its motor.  Mine isn't very sofisticate, but will sew through anything - I made sure of that before buying it!  Some just can't take it.

I don't know about the denim needle, but you can give it a try and see what happens.

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010 10:42:18 AM »

It sounds like I have a machine much like soorawn's. Mine is simple but rarely do I find I can't sew through something. I recently made a wallet with crypton suede, making the wristlet handle was challenging as it had to go through 8 layers of crypton suede at one point. There were a few times here and there that I had to turn it by hand - but for the most part it went through.

When I'm going through a lot of fabric and/or interfacing - even if I'm going through quilting cotton I use a denim needle. They are nice and sturdy and punch through the thicker surface better. I also tend to use a very thick fusible interfacing in making wallets and purses. I like my finished product to have structure - floppy fabric wallets/purses for some reason drive me batty. I will many times cut off the seam allowance when cutting the interfacing. Occasionally I won't (it depends on what I'm doing) the denim needle works like a charm!

For example the crypton suede wallet I just made has a pocket in the middle that is sewn to the inside of the wallet. At that point I had to go through two layers of fusible interfacing (very thick stuff btw), one layer of crypton suede and three layers of cotton. My machine didn't even blink with the denim needle.
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010 11:38:43 AM »

Thanks for the info! I don't think it was necessarily the machine, it was more error on my part while getting familiar with it. I took a couple quilting fabric quarters and made a crochet hook roll out of it, but I made it up as I went along instead of thinking it through first, so I was probably sewing through more layers then necessary for part of it.

Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010 12:22:35 AM »

Hey all, I am merging some topics here to get all the interfacing questions together, don't mind me!  Grin

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/19

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2010 07:22:45 PM »

Hi all,

My apologies if a previous version of this question has been asked already-- I did a topic search and came up with nothing so I thought I'd take my chances.  Smiley

I would like to make Simplicity pattern 2597 (http://www.simplicity.com/p-1555-accessories.aspx   That address will hopefully work if you'd like to see it).  The pattern does NOT call for interfacing, which seems somewhat odd considering it calls for broadcloth & calico along with denim, twill, etc. 

My question is, why doesn't this pattern call for interfacing?  It seems like two or three layers of cotton/broadcloth (I'm using a fairly thin/cheap poly/cotton blend and a 100% cotton lining) won't be enough to give the bag any body!  Should I go ahead and add interfacing even if the pattern doesn't call for it?  A Google search didn't come up with much info either.  I would like to make it for an upcoming trip to the beach, but I don't want the bag to be all slouchy.

Anyways, any input on this anyone?

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2010 03:01:43 AM »

Models C & D do call for interfacing.  Check the back of the envelope.  These models are more structured, the others are a little more floppy because they are indeed not interfaced.  But they are lined (that helps too).  If you are doing A or B, you can opt for interfacing to give it body and have it your way.

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010 02:09:01 PM »

Thanks soorawn,

I looked again at the pattern envelope right after I posted this and saw that.   Embarrassed  Roll Eyes I'm doing model C, and decided to use a featherweight interfacing... so far so good.  Hopefully I'll like how it turns out. 

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ultimate Comfort Food: How to Make Shrimp & Grits
How to Use Holiday Leftovers in New Meals
Pumpkin-Stuffed Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
How to Make 2 Sweet and Savory Brunch Dishes
Comfort Food: Hearty Farro, Sausage & Kale Stew
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...