A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,885
Currently Running With Scissors:
393 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: All About Interfacing--Questions and Advice  (Read 5379 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JodiLynn85
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009 10:08:18 AM »

I'd stick something much more firm than interfacing in the bottom. Like a cut-to-size piece of plastic (home depot or lowes used to do that for me, not sure if they still do). Or even, if you have some old boxes laying around and don't mind if the bag is only spot-washable, I'd put a piece of cardboard in the bottom. I just don't think interfacing is going to be able to give you a supported bottom. At lesat, no interfacing I've found.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

50 Projects in 2010: 9/50 with several big ones in progress!
PurseStuff
Purse Stuff - Paula

Handcrafted Purses & Purse Accessories

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009 09:28:17 AM »

Michelle -
No it does not add any 'puffiness' to the bag.  It is stiff but no puff.  I have used it and am happy with the results.

Someone mentioned providing stability to the bag bottom.  I make a sleeve.  Two pieces of fabric, cut and sewn to fit the bottom of the bag, sew three sides - leaving one end open.  Then insert cardboard, plastic canvas, cut a thin board to fit, etc into the sleeve.  Remove sleeve when you want a slouchy bag or when you want to wash the bag.  Works for me.

Hope this helps a little.

Purse Stuff - Paula
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purse Stuff - Paula
www.PurseStuff.com
http://pursestuff.blogspot.com
Facebook - Purse Stuff
crookshanks
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009 05:38:01 PM »

I am planning on trying to make a purse, and have a question...

I have fusible interfacing, and I know I want the purse to be a stiff and not floppy. Would I apply the interfacing to the LINING or the OUTSIDE piece?? Or does it not matter?

The outside fabric i am planning on using is this shimmery, silvery, stuff that I don't think is safe to iron...so is it okay if the interfacing is on the lining? I don't want it to not work...
If I do it on the lining, should I also sew in the lining to the bottom and not just from the top?
The purse is a clutch purse, and doesn't have a boxed out bottom or anything like that.

Also, I'm planning on a top band across the purse, like in this purse:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=24610.0

So if there are any probelms with fusible interfacing for the silvery fabric, I might have to  get sew-in interfacing (which I have never used before) is that correct?
Or, could I use plastic or cardboard...?

If anyone could please tell me if it would work either way, which way would be preferable, and anything else I need to know using the interfacing, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009 05:43:55 PM by crookshanks » THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009 08:42:53 PM »

Have you sewn fabric like the shimmery, silver stuff you have? If not, I would practice before starting on your project. As far as the interfacing, I would interface both the lining & the outside fabric. If ironing is a concern, I would use spray adhesive which does well (don't spray too much, it can show thru). Wherever you want stability, you need to interface. If you use cardboard - once the bag gets wet, it's history. Plastic would make it hard to sew & hard to turn right side out. That's my advice, others might have more suggestions. Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smmarrt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010 08:52:34 PM »

So I am trying to become an expert book bag/tote bag maker and I like to use fusible interfacing in between the outer fabric and inner lining. Most of my patterns say to fuse the interfacing to the lining but I find that makes the lining too stiff and I like the outside of the bag to feel more stiff and sturdy. Anywho, I usually change sewing patterns to fit my needs and if I want to fuse to the outer fabric, who is going to tell me not to?

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Ninni Swap - Partners!
Fall Dotee Swap -Visit the gallery!
4 x 6 Art Swap - Coming soon.....
Miannco
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010 05:59:16 AM »

When I make my bags, I usually iron a soft fleece or interfacing to the outside layer of the bag. I almost never use interfacing on the lining. Look at it this way...it's your "art', who's to say what's right or wrong?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010 08:52:49 AM »

I always interface the outside and not the inside, so I think that's normal.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010 10:00:53 AM »

I used to just fuse the lining, but now I'm used to fusing both sides - my bags are more rigid & feel better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smmarrt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010 06:04:38 PM »

Thanks all for your comments. I will fuse to the outside and if I want sturdier, I'll fuse lining and outer fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Ninni Swap - Partners!
Fall Dotee Swap -Visit the gallery!
4 x 6 Art Swap - Coming soon.....
noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2010 07:42:06 AM »

Apologies, another interfacing question, but I looked and couldn't find an answer to my particular debacle.....

I just got a sewing machine for christmas (Mom got tired of me stealing hers Roll Eyes)...and I've already made a few small things with it and noticed that it doesn't like to sew through a lot of layers of fabric. So, that being said, is it easier to make bags/wallets/etc with the interfacing cut to be the size of the finished bag dimensions, or is it ok to still cut it to the full size of the fabric (including seam allowance)? Would using a denim needle as opposed to a universal needle work better?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stella McCartney for Gap Kids and Baby Gap Spring/Summer Collection
Agoo Clothing for Active Babies
How to Choose Organic Baby Clothes
Baby Hair Clips
Wedding Wear For Kids
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...