A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
347 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bedroom revamp! making the change from preteen to adult-ish person.  (Read 709 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kllama713
« on: June 01, 2009 08:53:47 PM »

I re-did my room at the age of 13, at the time I was totally girly so I did pepto-bismol pink walls and a purple bedspread, which can be seen here:
 http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/katieiskewt/103_0466.jpg (dont mind the mess, I was 14, I've since learned how to keep thing tidy)
I'm turning 18 in wabout six weeks and I think it's time to take things to a more mature level. I'm thinking something kind of arabian or morrocan, jewel tones and a ton of pillows. Like this:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/katieiskewt/336436309_306fa7cc9a.jpg
I'm faced with a few problems:
1. I need a new bed and would like one to match the theme, however I dont really know what type of bed would?
2. The carpet is dreadful! it's hunter green and worn out completely, I'd like to cover it somehow? preferably in an inexpensive way
3. My room is 10x12, is a dark color on my walls going to look bad?
4. I have no clue where to even begin shopping for any of this stuff!

I'm sure this is disorganized and unclear, but any help or ideas that can be given would be much appreciated! I'm doing this by myself with the exception of purchasing a bed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009 10:10:05 AM »

I just did a room in a similar style. I really have to get photos. I'm not sure if you live close to a city that is multi-cultural or not, so I will give you some ideas that will keep in mind both possibilities. You can go to what is referred to as a "head shop" to find a lot of Indian, Moroccan or African item. You may want to avoid buying the really huge hookah wether you use it legally or not unless you really want to upset the folks. I went to Toronto into Little India to buy some saris, and statues and tapestries. You could look on line to find things that appeal to you or hunt the thrift stores. It may take some time. Ornate brass candle holders are a good find. Pick up some books from the library on Indian, Moracan, etc. style. My room was pretty small but I used a mid tone purple and  I added some gold accents such as some really cheep gold fabric from the center of the room down on each corner and a ceiling boarder of gold stripes. You could add a stenciled paisley in gold on the walls or buy some easily removable vinyl stickers in gold to make it look a little more sparkly. You may want to avoid red because it has a psychological effect to make you more active and hungry. I bought a bed from Ikea that is a wrought iron day bed. It's pretty but small. they also had at one point a round bed that was cute. It may be seasonal or it may be discontinued I haven't seen it at the store I go to since last year. You either have to get the sheets there or learn to make some round ones. Look in Joanne fabrics for the Indian style fabrics. You could make some nice pillows in a variety of sizes and shapes. If you know any one getting rid of a couch ask if you could grab the cushions and recover them.

I'm sure there are some other things you could do but not remembering anything more.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009 04:16:58 PM »

That sounds like a fun theme.  I might suggest either just one "accent wall" in a brighter color, and the other walls in white or cream, or else use a lighter color, such as a pale creamy yellow, or even a deeper golden yellow . . . it'll make the room look exotic, without making it look too small and dark.  Thrift stores, garage sales, flea markets, and ebay are all good places to grab up cool/ unusual and vintage fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simple Keying of an IPod - Shake 4
How to Create a Shatter Effect - Motion 3
How to Create Reflections - Motion 3
How to Make Stuff Bounce to Music - Motion 3
How to Build a Chroma Key - Shake 4.1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...