1. To start out with cut a rectangle of fabric about 1 3/4 around your bust by roughly 30" [you can lengthen it or shorten it if you wish]
2. cut this large rectangle in half so you have two peices of fabric that go almost all the way around you by 30"
3. place fabric with right sides facing as if you are going to sew the seam that you just cut back up [which is exactly what you are going to do actually]. pin the seams together
4. sew up the seams until about 5-6" from the top and backstitch to secure stitch. then continue sewing up to the top using a basting stitch like shown...
repeat on the other side doing the same thing
5. iron the seams open [including basting]
6. unpick basting ONLY after it is suffeciently ironed as this will make the next step 10x easier.
7. sew along what you just unpicked at 1/4" and MAKE SURE YOU BACKSTITCH AT THE BEGINNING!!! or your dress may fall apart...
8. make a casing for your ribbon/string at the top. i pressed mine down 1" and then sewed 1/4" from the bottom edge
9. press up and sew your hem [again, i pressed up 1" and sewed at 1/4"]
10. string your ribbon or string through the upper casing and tada! you're finished! =] wear it many different ways. you can see different ways to wear it here... http://store.americanapparel.net/rsa0300.html
and more detailed instructions here: http://bspoetry.blogspot.com/2008/07/le-sac-dress.html
what your dress looks like flat and not put on...
here are the two i made =]
and one more picture just cause