A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Catalog Circular Tray (with lots of pix and a tutorial)  (Read 7020 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anisemouette
« on: June 01, 2009 08:07:56 PM »

Once I read about this month's challenge, I immediately knew what I wanted to do.  I knew I wanted to make a tray: an actual item often featured in a number of catalogs that specialize in housewares.  The irony was too obvious to ignore as it was the publishers of the catalogs themselves who provided me with the medium to make my own houseware -- rather than sell me one of theirs.  For that satisfaction alone, I thank you Craftster! 

Materials required: eight or so catalogs, tacky glue, super glue, clear packing tape, scissors, polyurethane lacquer finish.

First, begin by tearing out the pages of your catalogs and then folding each torn page, long ways, by creasing the paper approximately from the edge and then folding it over.  Continue by making another crease from the new edge and then folding it over.  Proceed until you have folded your paper over enough times so that it measures in width.  Its length, however, should still be the height of the original catalog.   

Once you have a number of folded strips, you can begin to create the base for your tray. To start, take one folded strip and start to roll it as you would tape measure.  Once it is completed rolled into a circle (see photo), use a piece of tape to secure it into place.  I used clear packing tape (I just cut small strips in size before I started this part of the craft). 

To follow, take another folded strip and tape it to your rolled circle, then coil it completely around the circle and secure it into place with another piece of tape.  Continue until you are happy with the size of your base of your tray.  My tray base measures just under 14 in diameter (see photo).

To follow, you will want to brush a coat of tacky glue across the top and bottom of the base.  This will ensure that the base remains intact.  Let the base dry for at least twelve hours before adding the lip. 

While the base dries, you can begin making the lip of your tray.  With your remaining folded catalog pages, you will use the same technique you used to create your base to create the lip.  The only difference is that you will create several small circles with your folded catalog pages rather than one large one.  I used three pages for each of my circles, of which I made 27 in all.

After all your circles are completed, you will then want to brush them each with tacky glue and allow them to dry as you did the base. 

Once all your circles are dry, you can then begin to glue them to the rim of your base to form a lip.  To start, coat the bottom third of one side of each circle so to adhere each circle to the rim of the base.  You will also want to place a dab of glue to the edges of each circle so that they will stick to each other and remain in alignment.  In addition to using tacky glue, you will want to go over your finished project with super glue to ensure its overall durability. 

After you have glued all your circles completely around the bases rim and finished up with super glue, let your project dry overnight and then coat it with polyurethane, as many times as desired, depending on the level of shine you desire.

Let dry and enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anise Stevens
owner/designer
Anise Mouette
www.anisemouette.com
info@anisemouette.com
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009 08:10:06 PM »

thats really neat!  and I love that you used the catalogs that were trying to sell you one in the first place!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hipmama1970
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009 05:14:09 PM »

Oooh, I might have to give this a try. Neat project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen, homeschooling mom of 4
K3lly

i heart jellyfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009 07:34:00 AM »

I like it!
I'm gonna have to give this one a whirl! 
THANKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps!
Proud Air Force Wife, and owned by 2 IGs.  <3
EpicErma
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009 04:33:18 PM »

thanks for the great detailed instructions. i've seen dishware made out of recycled paper before, and always fancied it, but not the big price tag. now i can make one myself! thanks for the great tips and beautiful project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009 08:36:41 AM »

I love it!
I love all the little circles along the outside.  Smiley
It's a great touch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

Hufflepuff Seeker - Dork Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009 11:06:16 AM »

That's great! I might have to make myself one. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LOOKING FOR A PERSONAL SWAP: I'm hoping for dinosaur-themed Xmas crackers, or other dinosaur Xmas items. I can make a Jayne Cobb hat, or many other things!

"Before we begin, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you."

Wists & LJ links in pro
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Straighten Hair with Flat Iron
How to Style Bangs a into Curly Wavy Hairstyle
How to Create a Wavy Bob Hairstyle
ISH Ionic Rescue Pro Treatment Review
How to Create a Holiday Updo for Short Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...