A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: source for clock kit with silver shaft and quiet movement  (Read 614 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Juniper_Ann
« on: June 01, 2009 07:06:59 PM »

So, I searched the whole entire world (or, at least, Google Images and Kaboodle) for THE CLOCK.  You know the one?  The one that totally adds that special touch to your artistic vision of your bedroom, but doesn't wake you in the middle of the night with its incessant tick-tick-tick ,and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?  The clock of your dreams?  Well, I didn't find it.  So I'm going to make it!  (Story of my life.  This is why, if I ever get married, my mom is totally planning my wedding.  Otherwise, I will find myself hand-printing cocktail napkins in the middle of the night.) 

BUT it must have silver or white hands (ideally, silver).  All of klockit.com's movements have a gold shaft, and I can't stand mixing metals!  And it must either not have a second hand or (preferably) have a "continuous movement" second hand.  Do any clock-making divas know where I would find such a thing? 

If I really had to, I think I could just spray-paint the shaft and and cap white and go with white hands.  I think the nubbly texture of silver paint would contrast too much with smooth silver hands, so I don't think that would work.

Thanks!   
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009 07:07:43 PM by Juniper_Ann » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change you want to see in the world - -Gandhi
ragdoll193
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009 07:16:41 PM »

if you don't mind cannabalising another clock, or shopping at walmart (it could be another store too) I have taken clock movements with hands from $5 clocks to make better ones. they are quite simple to take apart and use over again, and still have it work.

or... you could spray paint hands you already like (or use metallic nail polish!)

or... what else? ah. you could make your own hands to go on a movement, if you have the tools and materials to do so. it would just need to fit the shaft properly for each hand.

good luck and don;t forget to post when you do find one!!

I love clocks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
Juniper_Ann
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009 09:00:28 PM »

Thank you.  That's a good idea.  The problem is that cheap clocks tend to have loud "ticks" and it's difficult (mentally) to cannibalize a not-as-cheap clock.  But I will definitely keep that in mind as a possibility.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009 09:37:35 PM by Juniper_Ann » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change you want to see in the world - -Gandhi
ragdoll193
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009 04:08:42 PM »

it might work if you are careful Smiley

I personally love the ticking of clocks and it puts me to sleep, doesn't keep me awake at all!

I wonder who might carry a cheap noiseless clock...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
N30Nb100d
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009 07:31:11 PM »

you could try "rub n' buff" to turn the gold tone parts silver (or something similar, maybe a bit of silver leaf you can pick up at a craft store... rub n' buff is a wax finish that goes on quite smooth and with enough buffing gets quite shiny). Rough them up a bit first with some sand paper if they're metal so they're not completely smooth as it won't stick to a smooth surface. I don't know if it will work in this case, but it's worth a shot before you settle on painting it all white. Silver paint might be alright too since it's not the most visible parts of the clock that need painting (if you find silver hands).
good luck with your clock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2014 Grammys Beauty Trends
An Anti Aging Moisturizer That’s Worth the Splurge
The Best Enzymes for Your Skin Type
How to Upgrade Your Look with Just a Curling Iron, Belt and Mascara
The Best Way to Wash Your Face
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...