A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Self drafted summer dresses for my princess  (Read 4844 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009 12:45:02 PM »

Everything is just absolutely gorgeous!  Love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wippelgem
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009 03:24:44 PM »

Really nice dresses!!!!

Love the butterfly one.
Maybe I'll try to make one to...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Padester
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009 07:26:44 PM »

I love the first one and the last - that western-ish one is really cool!  I'm very impressed with the whole "self-drafted" part. I can follow a pattern, but heaven help me if I try to make one!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StacyCK
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009 06:48:58 AM »

Thanks so much everyone!  Grin

I love the first one and the last - that western-ish one is really cool!  I'm very impressed with the whole "self-drafted" part. I can follow a pattern, but heaven help me if I try to make one!!!

I've been sewing for quite awhile (+20 years), so I've used a ton of patterns in my time.  I don't need to follow a pattern for construction (most of the time) since I've done it before.  I've come to realize that many of them use the same bodice block for the top and it is just modified for the pattern's needs.  I have so many uncut patterns of little girl dresses since I'd rather measure her and make something that fits than take the time to cut or trace a pattern that won't fit as well.  I'm sure eventually you will get there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moxie_Crimefighter
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009 04:39:35 PM »

beautiful dresses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swimfinsmom
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009 09:38:08 PM »

Love the stuff and love the fabrics -- I too hate to use patterns, and feel that shirring is the way to go to get good bodice fits -- I am addicted to shirring. lol  The best thing I ever did (and you probably already did this) was buy a HUGE spool (like the size of two softballs!) of elastic thread, so I will never run out!  I named him Oscar. lol  I do have a question though -- I sometimes have trouble with the top thread wearing out and the elastic bobbin thread then comes loose on favorite shirred outfits.  I just have to pull it out and redo it, but it has me wondering if I should use a different weight top thread when I shir.
I make peasant tops galore with shirring, because basically I am too lazy to run a casing and thread through the elastic. lol
Catherine
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StacyCK
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009 06:14:42 AM »

Love the stuff and love the fabrics -- I too hate to use patterns, and feel that shirring is the way to go to get good bodice fits -- I am addicted to shirring. lol  The best thing I ever did (and you probably already did this) was buy a HUGE spool (like the size of two softballs!) of elastic thread, so I will never run out!  I named him Oscar. lol  I do have a question though -- I sometimes have trouble with the top thread wearing out and the elastic bobbin thread then comes loose on favorite shirred outfits.  I just have to pull it out and redo it, but it has me wondering if I should use a different weight top thread when I shir.
I make peasant tops galore with shirring, because basically I am too lazy to run a casing and thread through the elastic. lol
Catherine

Thanks!

Hmmm...I haven't had that problem.  Is it the ends that are coming out, or the top thread breaks?  If it is the ends, I always tie them together several time to secure them since anchoring stitches aren't really enough seeing as how they are pulled all the time.  If the thread is breaking, perhaps the shirring is too tight and the tension needs to be adjusted??  Sorry I can't be of more help.   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swtater123
Mama Sweettater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009 12:01:57 PM »

Those are so pretty!  I love the butterfly one and my dd saw the first one and immediately wanted it.  She asked if it was for sale and when I told her no she said "Then I guess you'll just have to make me one yourself!". lol  She was very impressed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MarysMom
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009 06:12:19 PM »

Oh how I love them! Especially the second one! Have you considered selling your creations?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StacyCK
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009 06:14:27 AM »

Those are so pretty!  I love the butterfly one and my dd saw the first one and immediately wanted it.  She asked if it was for sale and when I told her no she said "Then I guess you'll just have to make me one yourself!". lol  She was very impressed!

I love hearing that!  It's the best when the kids love something that is handmade. Smiley

Oh how I love them! Especially the second one! Have you considered selling your creations?

Thank you!  Well, I tried once selling on etsy and it didn't sell.  Honestly I have so many projects whirling around in my brain that I just don't have the time to make things for others right now (unless it is gifts...I do a lot of that!).  I work 40-45 hrs a week outside of the home so by the time I get home, get dinner on the table and get my kids to bed I only have a little bit of time to sew at night.  My weekends I try to cram in everything I want to sew.  Depending on how far I get with the kids' summer clothes I might try to get some stuff up in etsy.  We'll see how the summer shapes up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Scarves Without Stitching
How to Make Glove Puppets for Kids
How to Make Jewelry Travel Pouches
How to Create Sock Dogs
How to Make Fish Prints with Ray Bliss Rich
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...