A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 306,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
361 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shampoo bar! (Recipe plus guide of sorts)  (Read 51746 times)
Tags for this thread: shampoo , cp_soap , cold_process_soap , recipe , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cyens
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010 06:32:00 PM »

ETA: Most of the bad things you hear about lye are urban legends born from misunderstanding. When people talk about old fashion country soaps that "took your skin off," they were probably talking about old fashioned cleaning products that people made and called soap. My husband's grandmother's mother often made a soap-like concoction involving Comet & Borax. That WOULD take your skin off!

Well I think country folks did make soap that took they're skin off... father always talks about when he used to live in remote rural Brazil in the middle of nowhere in the 50's. I always here the story about the way people made soap using old random grease they found and lye, using no scale and just kinda mix it together. Apparently sometimes the soap was so greasy it didn't wash anything and some other times you'd loose your finger nails using it. On top of it they wouldn't wait 4 weeks to use it.... That's what my father used to think about my soap until he tried it... now he raves about it... anyways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RavingRosemary

Beware the weasel....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010 08:57:58 AM »

Wow, I'm glad this got dragged out of the depths--I've been wanting to make a shampoo bar for a while!  Are these particular oils really awesome for hair?  I don't have any mango butter, but if the recipe isn't too fussy, maybe I could substitute shea... what do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

English Major Soaps! on Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/englishmajorsoaps
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010 09:12:42 AM »

Be sure to run through a lye calculator, but absolutely, substitute away! I've actually found I prefer to use avocado butter in place of the mango butter. But I'm a big fan of "use what you got." Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
RavingRosemary

Beware the weasel....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010 12:42:07 PM »

Awesome!  I didn't know if those oils had particularly hair-friendly qualities.  Good to know subbing's all right--though I'll bet mango butter would smell lovely....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SweetPetuniaa
What the hecky is this??

:)

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010 09:34:51 AM »

Cute!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiley
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010 10:04:33 AM »

Awesome!  I didn't know if those oils had particularly hair-friendly qualities.  Good to know subbing's all right--though I'll bet mango butter would smell lovely....

I have been meaning to say that sadly, mango butter does not smell like mangoes. It just smells like, well, oil. It has a slightly "tropical" undertone to it, but it's mostly oily smelling.

If it did smell like mango, it's be the only oil I ever used! Mmmmm I looooove mango. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
RavingRosemary

Beware the weasel....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010 11:14:39 AM »

Aw, that's a bit disappointing.  But it's nice (and wallet-friendly) to know that I don't have to go get a new butter (though I do want to try more than just shea and cocoa--there are so many!).  I'm really psyched to try this recipe out.  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrs.jackson
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010 06:27:04 PM »

Sorry, stupid question. I am new to soap making and have not yet started to superfat. When you guys say superfat, is it already calculated in the recipe? Or do I have to figure out what 8 % of those oils and do it from there? Also, Does it matter what oils are used to super fat?
Thank  you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Magnolia Blossom
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010 06:55:31 PM »

This recipe sounds great! 

At the risk of sounding like the total newbie that I am, where do you find is the best place to acquire avocado & jojoba oils and mango & cocoa butters? 

Also, does this weigh the hair down or can I still get some volume?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MrZ
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011 09:25:08 PM »

I found this recipe to be a real winner, and recommend it strongly.  However, I modified the recipe with a minor twist that you might find helpful (and basically eliminates the patience requirement you commented on:  I cut the water content of the caustic so I was using a 50/50 (wt/wt) mix of NaOH and water.  I also warmed the oils to about 100 F to help the butters and solids to melt/dissolve in the liquids.  When I mixed the caustic into the oils there is a pretty rapid reaction with significant temperature increase.  The mixture traces in about 5 minutes, and at this point I added my essential oils.  I poured the mixture into a long log mold as quickly as possible after mixing in the EO.  The mixture is pretty thick at this point, so it takes a bit of effort to get the mixture out of the mixing bowl, but it moves well with a rubber spatula.  Be sure to level any added materials and tap the mold once or twice to remove air bubbles trapped between the any layers of mixture in the mold.  My mold is made of wood, coated with Thompson's water seal (R) and sprayed with silicone mold release (local hardware store), I have not used any liner film and to date have not seen any negative reactions on the wood surfaces.  The reacting mixture gets pretty hot in the wooden mold (probably around 170F).  I leave the molds in the oven over night with the light on to maintain a temperature of about 90F to help the reaction along.  By morning the molded mass is quite hard and ready for demolding and cutting.  I have had great success simply removing the end piece of the mold, and then prying the log out with a spatula.  The bar has more than enough strength to lift out as a single log, and then I hand cut into bars about 1" thick.  I age the bars 3-4 weeks at house temperature (68F) at which point the weight is quite stable.  The resulting bars have an exceptionally rich lather that my wife loves as a shampoo bar.  I love the recipe myself and have already repeated at the 6 lb scale.  This is going to be a very popular bar with me, my wife and our friends.  Hope you find this suggestion helpful.

Mr Z.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Vegetable Sushi Roll
How to Make Vegetable Korma
How to Make Vegetable Fried Rice
How to Make Thai Drunken Noodles
How to Make Healthy Nigiri Sushi Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...