A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,754
Currently Running With Scissors:
806 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cosplay: Jinnosuke/Jinno/Kuma (from Afro Samurai) cosplay bear head (tutorial)  (Read 27368 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cosplay  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kittykatsmith

Now with more cashews!

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2009 04:17:59 PM »

Howdy, been a while since my last post, but nothing like a local anime/manga/etc convention to make you feel inspired to make things...!

This is a mini-tutorial of how I made the prop head for my boyfriend who wanted to cosplay as Kuma/Jinno/Jinnosuke from Afro Samurai.

Here is a reference photo for Jinnosuke/Jinno/Kuma from Afro Samurai (action figure):

Materials for base:
-24-inch inflatable beach ball
-newsprint (ripped into large-ish pieces)
-flour
-water
-Styrofoam pieces (mine were from a box that a computer part came in)
-Styrofoam sphere for the eyes (not what I did, but using a styrofoam ball cut into two would be far safer)

Materials for covering the head:
-brown acrylic paint
-white acrylic paint
-brown yarn
-beige yarn
-black yarn

Secret ingredient:
-foam block (ours was about 3 inches thick/deep)

For the base/head: I inflated the 24 inch beach ball (got it at Toys 'R' Us) and mixed the flour and water and tore lots of newsprint pieces. I covered the the beach ball in papier mache, but left a un-covered circle with a diameter of roughly 6-7 inches around the ball's inflation nozzle. Allowing enough time to dry (aided by good ol' sunshine on the back porch), we did several layers. Essentially, we put enough layers until we felt the thickness was appropriate and would hold up to handling at an anime convention. After applying the appropriate thickness of papier mache layers, the ball is deflated normally via nozzle (no popping needed like what is necessary with balloons) and easily removed from the paper shell. Using an electric knife (used for carving turkey...ours is very dull, but apparently ideal for this project), I widened the hole so that the wearer could put on the prop. I used the electric knife like a jigsaw and made an oval opening.

For the nose and ears: Using scissors and and electric knife, I shaped pieces of foam found in a box that some computer part was shipped in. One could use foam balls or boxes purchased from a craft store, but we had this around the house. These parts will be attached prior to painting and yarning.

For the eyes: In the materials, I listed a styrofoam sphere that could be cut in half and call it a day. However, when I made this project, I saw that I had burnt out over-the-mirror bulbs from my bathroom and had prepped them by removing the filament and rinsing the interior as described in any of the ubiquitous "How to Hollow Out a Lightbulb" tutorials out there. I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING WHAT I DID WITH LIGHTBULBS TO MAKE KUMA'S EYES (buying a styrofoam ball is worth the cost here)...That being said, this is what I did: the bulbs were covered in papier mache, allowed to dry and then the end was broken off. Too much of the bulb was covered with papier mache, and the eyes needed to be less buggy than they were made so they needed to be cut down. Because the glass is attached to the paper, simply cracking the glass and then ripping/peeling away the glass/paper combo worked well, but little pieces of lightbulb glass were very dangerous. Again, don't recommend this...

Assembly of base and salient features (ears, eyes, and nose):
Ready to use the secret ingredient (that foam block)? You'll need it before continuing assembly! Using duct tape, or making tape, tape that block (again, ours was about approximately 4 inch wide x 6 inch long x 3 inch deep/thick) to the back portion on the interior of the head. This is what the wearer will have resting against the back of their head. (Because the front of the face can be heavy, the block in needed so that the wearer can have their head safely upright while the facial features are properly aligned and visible.

Here I had a volunteer (my mom) wear the to-be bear head, and a reference image of Kuma taped to her chest. Using the reference, I taped the eyes, ears, and nose onto the head with masking tape (and marked the nose location with a pink marker).

Once the pieces were where I wanted them, I papier mached them in place and let it dry.

Covering: Using the white acrylic paint, I painted only the eyes and a little outside of them. Then I mixed up some brown and white acrylic to to make a beige-ish color and painted the nose and inner ear that color. For the rest of the head, I painted it with the plain brown paint. Here is a shot:

After giving the eyes another coat of white acrylic, I began applying the yarn in coaster sized spirals to the head, inspired by Mexican yarn art. What I did was either make a small circle of glue or a large outline of a circle in glue (depending on whether I was going the spiral from the inside or from the outside) and then applied the yarn. Beige went in the ears and on the nose/mouth and brown went everywhere else (not on the eyes of course!).
Here is a shot, mid yarning:

The black yarn was used as a seam along the centered meridian of the bear head and to make Kuma's black nose.

Last step: Use a sharpie (with a steady hand) and draw in the eyes.

Viola!

Let me know what you think! (If I make a tutorial again, I would definitely take more pictures of the process...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
harryjohnpursey
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009 04:47:10 PM »

Whoa, that is all kinds of ludicrously awesome!!!!!! Your man is very lucky lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feets
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009 06:58:44 PM »

Shocked  ...I am impressed AND disturbed! HOORAY!  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjanator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009 07:16:59 PM »

woah that is insanely awesome. I wish I could dress up as a giant bear samurai Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
CloudxxSeph
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009 06:31:03 PM »

This is AWESOME and possibly really helpful! My boyfriend's going to be Kuma too, and we have to get it ready for Otakon aaaand we kinda haven't started yet, haha. He didn't really like the other tutorial he found, so I'm going to shoe him this one.

Thanks for posting!!!
(and p.s. it really is freaking cool)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CloudxxSeph
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009 09:30:39 PM »

Okay, after sharing with my boyfriend the link, he had a question

Him: WAIT
Him: I CAN ACTUALLY USE THIS
Me: really?
Him: HOW DID THEY SEEEEEEEEEEE

soooo was he able to see out of the head? or did he just put it on for photos?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykatsmith

Now with more cashews!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009 05:47:22 PM »

He couldn't see, so that was the draw-back...however, if you make the eyes from styrofoam, you can hollow them out with empty pupils (or mesh-covered pupils) and cut through the paper mache so that some vision is possible.

I think I will use this technique again, but I would definitely allow eye-holes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Taga
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009 02:35:16 PM »

Amazing job, I'm thinking of cosplaying Kuma myself, but I have a few issues.
I understand that sight is nearly impossible, even if I were to use styrofoam for the eyes the characters eyes are way too far apart, so I doubt that would work.
I was wondering though, when you move your head does the Bear's head move aswell? i may put some extra styrofoam or use a buckle to keep it on my head, so when I turn my head it turns aswell.
I'll probably just be carrying it around if I make it (I like eyesight) but I'd like to be able to turn my head aswell Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chocolate Orange Cookies
Vanilla Marshmallows Recipe
How to Make Candy Cane Truffles
How to Make Chocolate-Covered Strawberries Fit For a Queen
Homemade Cranberry Jelly Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...