A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,983
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Photo Emulsion Questions  (Read 1821 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

janelloshea
« on: May 30, 2009 10:02:01 PM »

Hello all.

I'm interested in silkscreening for the first time. I've bought a screen and the paint, and am looking around for the photo emulsion. I found a shop on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/1-Kg-Silk-Screen-Printing-Plate-Maker-Photo-Emulsion_W0QQitemZ280342705840QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4145ba36b0&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116 that sells it and am thinking of getting it. However, I'm not sure if the photo emulsion + sensitizer mixture is all I need, or is it imperative for me to get a the emulsion remover and coating as well?

I've read that a water hose is enough to wash out the photo emulsion, but as I'm new to this I have not much of an idea. I've tried Googling, though, but cannot seem to locate the information that I need.

I'd appreciate any help and tips on this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.janell.tk
pins & zines
jagough

Costume Shoporama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009 10:03:36 AM »

I'm not certain myself, as I've only done screenprinting a couple times, and follow directions closely each time. The folks to ask would likely be those over at the "image reproduction" setcion of the craftster forums. Someone there is sure to know!
Sorry I can't be more helpful, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sabertooth Pixie
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009 01:11:36 PM »

janelloshea,

Unless you want the screen to be permanent you need to buy a remover. In my experience water does not remove the light set emulsion.

Saber
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andybear
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009 10:48:55 AM »

Definately buy photo emulsion remover. The ink will wash out of the screen with a water hose but the emulsion is difficult to remove and if you don't remove it within a day or so it will permanently set in your screen. I found that putting the remover onto the screen and then scrubbing the screen with a soft toothbrush removed it quite quickly and used less water. Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mysteryhound
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009 09:39:49 PM »

You can leave emulsion on indefinitely, it doesn't become permanent - just harder to remove. A hose is good enough to remove fresh emulsion (if you're using remover) but if it's been on longer than a few days you'll probably need a pressure washer to help get it out. If you don't have one you can go to a coin operated car wash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Learn to Screenprint: Gospel of Screenprinting zine!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a iPhone Style Icon - Photoshop
How to Replace Color - Photoshop
How to Create Shadows - Photoshop
How to Use New Media - ScreenFlow
How to Create a Shining Orb - Pixelmator
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...