A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
741 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reversible 'Cycling Skirt' (Victorian-esque Pants) W/ TUTORIAL [IMG HVY]  (Read 5902 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , victorian , cycling , skirt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

graverobbergirl
« on: May 29, 2009 01:01:33 PM »

This is my version of a Victorian-esque pants/skirt. I'm not sure, but I think actual 'cycling skirts' or 'rational dress' were shorter than this.

I liked the fabric, but I also wanted a solid brown (that's more versatile), so I finished these to be reversible. (two-in-one, yay!)

Front

Back

(Semi-helpful) TUTORIAL: sorry, no in-progress shots...

1. Draft a pattern piece (something like this):

A: Front- Measure from center front along waist to side seam. Add 5/8" for seam allowance.
B: 17" (is what I used)
C: measure from waist to crotch (approx. 11")
D: 8"
E: Measure from waist along side seam to hem. Add allowance for hem. I did a narrow hem with 5/8" allowance.
F: Pleat line in front located 7 1/4" from side seam (made need to adjust location depending on waist measurement)
G: 1 1/4"

CF: Center Front

2. Cut 2 of pattern (each will be a leg) from fabric. Also cut waistband from fabric (waist measurement plus 2" in length and 4" wide) and from interfacing.

3. Pin pieces together along crotch (with side upon which finished seams will show outward; Sides without seams showing are together.) Sew with 5/8" seam allowance, starting at Center Front (CF) and stopping approximately 4 1/2" from center back edge (this will remain open and allow pants/skirt to slip over hips).

4. Press seam open. Tuck under and finish/sew seams for entire crotch including opening in back. (Flat-felled)

Seam Detail

Visible Seam Detail

5. Pin side seams (same way as for crotch-I sewed mine so the seams showed on the right (patterned) side. Therefore, I had 'wrong' unpattered sides together) and sew. Press seams open and finish same as crotch.

6. Make pleats in front. Bring two pleat lines together. Baste along waistline/upper edge.

Pleats along Back opening

7. Make pleats in back (to taste). I made a pleat on both 'right' and 'wrong' sides of fabric to encase opening in the back. And then proceeded to mark pleats every 1 3/4" from center back outward, folding on marks and bringing them to meet the edge of the previous pleat. I had to try it on several times during this process until pleats picked up the extra fabric and the waist fit. (If you do this, be careful of pins-OW!) Baste over pleats along waist.

Finished pleats

8. Fuse interfacing to wrong side of waistband. Press under 5/8" along long side. Pin unpressed side along waist of pants/skirt, matching centers, leaving 5/8" extra on either side of center back opening. Stitch.

9. Press seam towards waistband. Fold in half length wise, lining folded edge up with seam. Press. With right sides together, stitch ends of waistband. Turn to inside. Press. Slipstitch folded edge to garment, hiding stitching.

Waistband after being slip-stitched.

10. Sew button and buttonhole on waistband.

11. Try on garment, mark hem. Stitch.

12. Party like it's 1899!  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
ragdollpirate
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009 02:27:53 PM »

Very cool it makes me think of that movie vote(s) for women  (i think that was the name of it). Also thank you for the tute awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in." ~Veronica Mars
ragdollpiratedesigns.etsy.com
lolitaZheldra
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010 09:12:03 PM »

I was looking for a pattern like this. Thanks.
This has nothing to do with the tutorial but, where did you get your shoes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarah_
Can't cook.

Sew lost.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012 08:33:03 AM »

Nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're just closer to me when you fall.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fried Bananas
How to Make Fast Chinese Food Easy?
Part 5 - How to Make Tempura Noodles
7 Steps to Eating Healthy at Chinese Restaurants
Thai Foodcast: Green Curry Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...