A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy Easter Dresses  (Read 1194 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sdhrt
« on: May 29, 2009 10:14:34 AM »

Hello,
  The kids have been into 'Charlie and Lola' lately (hence the title).  I know we are a few months out now, but I decided to do my own Easter dresses this year.  Technically this could be in recons, too, but there are two dresses and I didn't want to do two posts. I went for inexpensive and easy.  

So, dress #1
Back Detail

Front Detail

Sorry its rather dark, I didn't know the flash was off (that's the problem in most of them)

This one is a recon.  I used an old white shirt that was mine in Jr High (don't ask why I still have it).  I made the front of the shirt the back of the dress and vice versa.  I used the pattern I made in this project http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=268219.0 , made it thinner, brought the neckline up (since it has buttons the neck doesn't need to be as large), and changed the sleeve to a straight one.  The great part of reusing the old shirt is that it created the look of a bodice and decorative pleat without me needing to sew those in.  I did line it since it was white, which was a pain, but if you skipped it, it would be a way easy dress.  The ribbon was from Joann's, and while I love it (and now they have it in all sorts of colors) I wouldn't recommend it again, as the white design is sort of painted on, and it flakes off when it gets tied into a bow.

Dress #2

Sorry for the two similar pictures.  The first gives you a better idea of the finished look, and the second gives you a shot of length.  For this one I took a peasant top pattern (Butterick B4118, but Vegbee has a great tutorial  http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2007/07/peasant-blouse.html ) and attached a tiered skirt (the first layer is 1.5 times the length of the bottom of the top, for tiered skirts see Vegbee as well http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2008/11/tiered-skirt-aka-twirl-skirt.html).  I lined the bodice (the fabric seemed a bit thin) and added the waist ribbon to give it some detail.  Next time I think I'd make the bodice shorter before I added the skirt.

Since I went 'patternless' for the most part, reused a shirt, and had the pink fabric in my stash, all I had to buy was less than a yard of lining and some ribbon, so that was cool.  And they really are easy to customize to your own child's size and specs.
Thanks for looking, questions and comments very welcome!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009 05:52:26 PM by sdhrt » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lori-lee
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009 06:24:27 PM »

Good work, they look beautiful!! I really love simple, classic dresses on little girls! And best of all, it barely cost you anything, so you don't have 'buyers remorse/guilt' haha. Guilt-free crafting= awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babymartini
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009 09:37:55 PM »

lately i too have been working with fabric that i have stored or sheets or old clothes to make new things. it's so fun!!! love the dresses!!! they are put together great and i'm sure your girls loved them! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009 08:30:13 PM »

I just had Lola's voice go through my head, 'oh Charlie!  Look at those dresses!  Oh, they are the prettiest and sashiest and bestest dresses, ever!  I really, really, really need some dresses like those!'

But then again I spend about 1/2 hour every day reading Charlie and Lola to my monkey and she insists that I do the voices just like they do on the show.  I also do a serious pink milk (but soy, of course).

I love how understated and classic these dresses are. It's rather gratifying to be able to put together a couple of garments with what is already on hand, yes? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sdhrt
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009 09:31:37 AM »

Thanks Guys:

Lori-Lee - You are right, guilt free is great.
Baby Martini -thanks for the compliment
Vegebee - Something on hand to something they need/want, yes very satisfying.  Can you also do the list of foods Lola wont eat from memory?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Night Portrait Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Night Landscape Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Museum Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Macro/Close-up Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Landscape Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...