Back in January my boyfriend got me a 1956 Singer 99k, and I thought it'd be cool to make a 1950s style dress on my new machine, so I picked up this Vintage Vogue pattern while it was on sale:
And promptly put it in a pattern box to be forgotten for a few months.
Then college graduation came sneaking up around the corner and I decided to dig it up again, because I needed a pretty dress for the occasion, and I'm dirt poor, so I can't afford to buy a really nice dress.
I set myself a $50 materials limit and started a mock-up. I decided to change the skirt to a fitted wiggle skirt, because I think they're classier.
Here's the result:
In my living room... Hopefully I can coerce my boyfriend into taking some photos for me so I can get a better full body shot than the one above.
In the end, I spent $51 (I had to go back to the store to buy more seam binding) and three days (including a day for sewing the mock-up and drafting the skirt). The dress is silk dupioni with little pearl buttons. I took this dress with me on a couple outings to friends' houses and finished sewing on the buttons while waiting in line for Star Trek.
I think it's pretty hilarious now how damned pleased with myself I looked.
And a couple in progress (though unfortunately, I didn't take many):
The bodice front, with tucks sewn, and none of the tailor's tacks removed.
The other half of the bodice front: all pressed and clean and pretty.
I'm now quite a fan of 1950s dress, but still not a fan of the full skirt. I'm tempted to make more... perhaps something a bit more neutral. But this was the perfect dress for standing out at a Theatre Arts Department ceremony. I finished and thought to myself, "I made a lime green dress. Huh."