A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 305,021
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two Swirling Tutes, many photos  (Read 2788 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cp_soap , cold_process_soap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: May 28, 2009 03:09:02 AM »

I said I would post a couple tutes on swirling...I am so not the best swirler, and my fun swirl ended up not happening, but here is the cheesecake method and swirling in the pot. If some awesome swirler wants to post some tutes I would totally love it!

Cheesecake Method--Slab Mold

Get your colorants ready beforehand, you never know how fast you may have to work! I prepared some neon green pigment by mixing it with a couple tablespoons of my base oils (removed after measuring the oils out). Check if your colorant is water or oil soluble and then get it ready. I prepare a little more than I think I will need, so I can adjust the color after mixing into the raw soap base.

When your soap comes to a light trace and you've added your fragrance,

remove whatever amount you are going to swirl (about 1/3 of the total for this one). I like to put it in a spouted 2 cup measure so I can pour it back in easily. Color it with the prepared colorant and mix. Reserve a little pre-mixed color so it isn't too dark. Adjust as necessary.

If you are coloring your base color, do it now with the larger portion in the pot, (I didn't for this particular one) and then pour it into your lined slab mold.

With the spouted container, pour horizontal lines a couple inches apart across the mold. Hold the container around 6 inches above the mold to help it slip towards the bottom. If you are still at a light to medium trace it should mostly go to the bottom. This is good. Use about half of your colored soap doing this, and then take a spoon and working just above the soap in the mold, lightly spoon the soap over the lines you already did. This helps your swirl go throughout the thickness of the soap, rather than just sitting on the top or all sinking to the bottom. You may have to wait a few minutes for it to get a little thicker if it is still so thin it is sinking, but by this point it should be good to go.

With a plastic knife (or the handle of a plastic spoon) draw lines through the soap, first going top to bottom, then next going bottom to top, about 1 1/2 inches apart. Be sure to scrape all the way to the bottom.

Voila~

And after cutting~ with this method you get some pieces that may look like leaves or hearts!

In The Pot Method--Log Mold

This is pretty much the easiest method ever. You don't get the beautiful swirls you do with slab molds, but if you are using log molds this is quick and easy and gives some fun color.

Prepare your colorant ahead of time (see above)

Bring your soap to a light trace and add your fragrance.** Remove the amount that you want to color, in multiple containers if you are doing multiple colors. Color the parts you removed, as well as what is in the pot if you want to color the base soap.

Pouring in a thin stream 6-10 inches or more above the pot, pour the colored soap back in. Zig-zag back and forth and around and around.

You can give the pot 1 stir with your spoon, or none at all, the rest of the swirling will take place when you pour it into the mold

Pour it into the mold, and watch the swirl take place before your eyes!

Forgot to take a pic of the mold, but here is the finished product!

** For fragrance oils that discolor badly (dragon's blood or very strong vanillas) you can do a type of reverse swirl using this method. Before you fragrance, remove a small amount (1/4 to 1/3 of the entire batch). Then add your fragrance oil to the pot (which will now act as colorant also, use the normal amount you would use for the whole batch). Swirl back in the part you removed, it will be a "white" (cream, pale yellow, whatever your unscented soap would be) swirl within the darker soap that ends up discoloring.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011 03:22:18 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
furbabiesboutique
Furbabies Boutique Pet Clothing and all kinds of Patterns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009 06:12:16 PM »

this is really cool!! thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY SHOP IS NOW OPEN! YAYYYY!!! 

http://furbabiesboutique.etsy.com

ALSO!!  I AM OPENING A NEW SHOP THAT WILL BE FOR MY PATTERNS AND SEWING ITEMS FOR PEOPLE....FURBABIES BOUTIQUE WILL BE STRICTLY FOR PETS!  MAKE SURE YOU BOOKMARK IT! Smiley

http://gypsyatheart2009.etsy.com
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009 02:07:47 PM »

thanks Maremare for sharing..I love the photos...maybe this thread will get me to try my hand once again at swirling..

I love color..though color doesnt love me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
sallynoo
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011 01:12:46 AM »

If you pour the colour you want to swirl from a higher height, it will go deeper into the base colour and will swirl through more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Climbing Up the Comedian Ladder
College Circuit Comedian Tips
How to Craft Your Onstage Persona as a Comedian
How to Use Storytelling to Promote a City and Its Scenes
Banksy Art and Its Lessons on Leadership
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...