A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,843
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Duct Tape Evening Bag Clutch [!!!]  (Read 5532 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , duct_tape_crafts  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PinkBalletShoes
...Oh, she's a crafty one, she is...

.:Drama Queen.. in the most literal sense:.

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2005 07:04:31 PM »

Hi all! So today, I was in a crafty mood today and made a duct tape "clutch" and it was so easy and I was so successful that i thought I'd post it here so that others can share my success  Grin. This will also be my 1st tutorial, so let me know if it's unclear or if you want me to re-explain things. Any critiques are appreciated as well!

Materials:
"Fun Foam" -> you know, those foamish sheets that come in all those cool colors and patterns
Cardboard
A bunch of duct tape
SOme other colored duct tape or electrical tape (optional)
Pen
velcro (Optional)

I first cut out my purse shape out of cardboard and made a double for the other side

Then, I began to cover the cardboard with duct tape.

When I came to a curve in the cardboard (If you're making a boxy shape purse, you won't have to worry about this part) I cut the excess tape into strips like so

Then I folded them over onto the cardboard so that it wouldn't get all rumply and ickie (see below Tongue)

I then finished covering both of the cardboard pieces I had as my "base" (duh  Grin)

Then to move onto the bottom part of the purse- this was the part I thought was going to be the most tricky, but it was actually quite easy. Okay, but it might take some cautious explaining! I took the two pieces of cardboard that I have covered, and put them together as if they were already connected. I then curved the foam around them to make a <O> ish shape. I then traced the foam so that I could cut it out easily. (Sorry I botched that desciprtion. But the pic should explain it!)

So this is what it should look like!

Then I made the flap that will fold over the purse. I roughly traced it out on more foamy sheets, and then I cut it out and covered it with duct tape in the same fashion I did with the original cardboard pieces.

Next, I put that aside and connected the bottom piece to the cardboard bases. I used the same snippy techinique to round off the edges as I did for the bases.

Now for attaching the flap. I just taped it the the back base piece.

After that, I attached velcro to the flap and the front base piece so that it closes and stays closed. (I didn't take a pic for that)
Oh, and to make it open better, I cut a slit down either one of the sides so that it now looks like this (V) when it opens on either side. Otherwise I had a cool purse with no way to get inside of it. And having the foam bottom make it easier to bend open.

To make it pretty, I used black electrical tape to uh.. embellish.

TA DAA!! Now I can go out on the town and have the coolest purse ever! (Plus, it matched my Prom dress!!!)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010 07:33:42 PM by MareMare - Reason: to fix coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Millions of peaches, peaches for me. Millions of peaches, peaches for free- Look out!-
unsunshine_69
smarter than your average bear

oh no... she's not a secret now

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005 08:10:04 PM »

that looks great! very punkrock-ish, i especially like the electrical tape embellishment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i would be lying if i wasn't trying
I Hot Glued My....!
What will they craft up next!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005 08:27:09 PM »

I'M going 2 try this!! Great tut! PBS!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Auto Tracker Basics - Color
How to Pin Constrain - Houdini 9.5
How to Create a Cup Texture - Cheetah 3D Modeling
How to Create a Spoon Texture - Cheetah 3D Modeling
How to Create a Wine Glass Texture - Cheetah 3D Modeling
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...