A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,331
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 189
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Archive: Business name suggestion/help thread.  (Read 128420 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

faeriegirlie

"Follow your wishing heart"

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: December 02, 2005 07:27:21 PM »

The one thing I can tell you is this - stop worrying about what other people tell you.  For years I wanted to pursue a certain career path, and kept listening to other people's advice about the other things I should do instead - more 'sensible' or 'more realistic for making a living.'  I finally stopped listening to other people and started doing what I wanted to.  Now I am completely happy and actually making as much money as I was before.

As for the name of your business.  If it feels right to you, go for it.  If you decide to go with something else, you can always re-brand yourself.  Companies (big an small) do it all the time.  Follow your gut and best of luck to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"rise and drink your bliss"
jessdell
« Reply #901 on: December 03, 2005 09:07:07 AM »

okay so, long ago i set out to create a website. i came up with a name (lemon juice) color, design, etc. i was in the midst of finding a web domain when ...school started, thus leaving me no time to do anything for quite a while, and i honestly forgot about it. but now that i'm taking a trip to europe this summer, and am in need of spending money there, i've remembered again and i'm determined to start back up again.

problem is i'm no longer at all satisfied with the name lemonjuice. boring, and not at all to do with my products. i have a vintagey feel to a lot of my stuff. i make bags, purses, some clothing, scarves, and a lot of stenciled t-shirts, among other things.  i don't have anything to sell yet, so no pictures at the moment, because i have to be determined to set up the site first, so i don't waste money on materials.

i don't want the word vintage in the title, but yet i want the name to sound "vintage-y." make sense?
so here's the only ideas i have so far:
autumn rocket
hello, (can't think what to say hello to!)
but arrhythmia has given me inspiration so::
hello, adelaide
hello, marlene
hello, mildred
hello, rosemary
hello, ramona
hello, leona
or::
replace hello, with dear.

i'm especially fond of the name adelaide, but helloadelaide.com is taken, though not in use...darn people. and i'm wondering who in the world would have thought of that name for no reason...and they've done nothing with it. very lame.

oh yeah,and i've been looking at using godaddy.com. if you've used it, do you like it? is there a better one that's not outrageously expensive?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005 08:24:26 PM by JesusFreak3259 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
arrhythmia
« Reply #902 on: December 03, 2005 04:20:35 PM »

How about a name for a vintage person, like hello collette or hello marlene or hello ethel, ....trying to think of 50's movie star names. Or, you could pull something from an old movie from that era or a tv show. Something like Once upon a holiday or shanghai expressed.

I like autumn rocket. I still have a free webhost, but I used www.namecheap.com for my domain registrar. $8.88.

Good luck on the process of getting going!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessdell
« Reply #903 on: December 03, 2005 04:30:46 PM »

thanks so much for your help! yeah, i really like the name idea. i was looking for some 40s slang words, but there aren't any that pop out at me, and i really like your idea. so thanks for the ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessdell
« Reply #904 on: December 03, 2005 05:16:21 PM »

so, i don't know if your friend would like for you to steal his name...but joosebocks would be so cool! haha
out of the ones you said though...at tenagra is cool if your target buyers understand the fun and non-"snootiness" behind it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikita
Professional Bad-Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #905 on: December 03, 2005 05:16:27 PM »

i like "hello collette"...i am also a fan of the word moxie, which (if you don't already know) is an older slang word for...um, pluck, i guess.  inititative.  spirit.  courage.

"moxie rocket", maybe?

edited because i'm an idiot...i also meant to say that i've used godaddy.com for more domain registries than i'd like to think about, and i've never, ever had a problem with them.  would recommend highly, esp. for the price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

truth on fire - building a better world through pretty things.
julieann
« Reply #906 on: December 03, 2005 08:24:50 PM »

I like hello, mildred...oh and I love the word moxie.  Have you seen the Target chocolate commercial for "choxie", chocolate with moxie...love that!  Maybe you could spell it "moxy"??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my etsy shop: www.julieann.etsy.com for hip handmade goodies for you & yours
jessdell
« Reply #907 on: December 03, 2005 08:46:26 PM »

thanks guys. i'm just terrible at making up my mind. i like the "hello..."s. but i also really like autumn rocket...as i was drafting "logos"  i used a shirt i had with a rocket on it as inspiration.

its supposed to look sloppy, though i may make it a bit less sloppy looking.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #908 on: December 03, 2005 09:12:04 PM »

I like the names thing, too.  Adalaide is a great one.  I also really like the sounds of Hello, Betty and Hello, Maude.

What about Glad Rags.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #909 on: December 04, 2005 04:35:05 AM »

Slang from the 40s:

The slang for youth of the forties was inspired by the Jive of the thirties.  These next slangs describe body-parts.

an ugly face--puss, phiz, map

the face--knob, index

the body--the frame

mustache--brush

whiskers--face lace, moss

head--biscuit, dome, idea pot, noggin, think box

eyes--blinkers, lamps, spotters, pies

eyelids--shutters

toes--ten

ears--flippers, sails, flops, mikes, lugs (large ears)

feet--plates, hocks

nose--sneezer, handle (large nose), schnozz, horn

legs--uprights, drumsticks, stumps, pillars, stems, slits

knees--prayer dukes

jaws--chops

tonsils--snags

mouth--bone box

teeth--chewers, choppers, crumb crunchers

stomach--bread basket, pale

neck--stretcher

elbows--hinges

heart--pump, clocker, ticker

shoulders--brace o broads

arms--floppers, brace o hookers

fingers--wigglers, feelers, stealers, fish hooks, pickers, forks

hands--grabbers, paws, meat hooks, paddlers

fists--dukes

What happens, however, when your tastes change and the 40s is no longer working for you? I'd go the rocket way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 189 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Secrets from Around the World
Know When to Toss Your Old Makeup
Can You Plump Your Lips With Hawaiian Punch?
Does Whitening Your Teeth With Strawberries Really Work?
Beauty Secrets from Hong Kong
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...