A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,767
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another fun quilt done!  (Read 1555 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

danni42683
« on: May 27, 2009 05:59:35 AM »

We (my husband and I) recently found out that his best friend of...well forever(23 years he is 28) is expecting her first baby. I was browsing through the Moda Bake shop when I found this... http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/03/pinwheel-baby-quilt.html I could not resist I had to make it for her. So here it is. My husband made her promise she would not change the baby's name. lol just so I could put it on the quilt, she isn't due until September so I really hope she doesn't change her mind, she is pretty set though when she decides something she doesn't change much!

free motion quilting is spiral triangles in each triangle and long spiral rectangles in the border

favorite new thing to do, personalizing the quilt with the name, simply free motion raw edge appliqued

Gotta love the soft fluffy chenille back, this is another favorite "new" thing to do.

Now I get to repeat this quilt with pinks instead of blues, and minkee backing instead of chenille!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fusbdgt
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009 06:41:29 AM »

What a beautiful quilt and wonderful thought and gesture, I would surely be teary eyed at the receiving of it if it were my little one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

landofoz
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009 06:48:04 AM »

The quilt is gorgeous!  The chenille backing is a wonderful idea -- my sister is expecting and I'm going to have to hunt some of that stuff down!  Is it warm?  She is having a November baby and I'm thinking a warm snuggly blanket is in order for her.  Did you quilt the chenille backing, 'cause it really doesn't show!  Really love the quilt.  You did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SimplySandy
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009 07:55:11 AM »

Your husband's friend is lucky to have a friend who's wife quilts.  This is so cute and will be well loved I am sure.  Just wondering, when you use the chenille for the backing, does that mean you don't use batting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danni42683
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009 08:08:28 AM »

Thanks for the sweet comments.

I used warm and natural for the batting and then the chenille on the back it is pretty cosy but not HOT, I think it would work for any season, and it moves really easy and conforms I guess you could say kinda like a REALLY old warn in blanket. I think this is because it wasn't quilted all the way through the back. For a thinner blanket you could maybe use a layer of flannel on the inside instead of the cotton batting.
I just quilted the top and batting and then put the back on with LOTS of pins and sewed around the edge REALLY close to edge then when I had it where I wanted it I put the binding using just a little more than a 1/4 inch seam!

BEWARE...The chenille does NOT shrink at the same ratio as the quilted part (top and batting). So I would either say even if you normally are not in the act of prewashing/drying fabric and batting either do so this time, or wash the "quilt" before putting the back on it! I made the mistake and didn't prewash anything, decided to wash and dry it before adding the binding JUST in case something like this were to happen, and well it happened (thank goodness I didn't sit and sew the binding on the back BY HAND my least favorite part and then have to rip it all out). I had to take the back off and redo it because the back was about two inches to big after being washed. Made it look VERY CRAPPY! to say the least. but it is all straight now and looks MUCH better.

So I guess what I am saying is....LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE!!!!!!

P.S. Supposedly minkee does not shrink AT ALL!!!! So I would say if using minkee for the back wash the quilted part and then add the back!
Good luck I would love to see pictures of whatever you come up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainylakechick
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009 02:31:42 PM »

Very cute and I like the backing. 

I am taking note about chenille/minkie not shrinking.  Its a great idea to include that, but good to know that I need to prewash everything first!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stellou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009 02:43:21 AM »

Wow that is gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

back to quilting...hurray and I dusted my art material Cheesy
saucyseamstress
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009 05:53:51 PM »

I saw the bake shop quilt too Smiley  I love your changing colors on the binding.  Very nice>
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schtankylu
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009 11:26:14 PM »

What a fabulous quilt! I love the quilting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jeffsweetie

I would love to do a personal swap!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009 10:29:48 AM »

I'm making this same quilt for my second daughter due in January. I love the way you quilted it.. I might do the triangles the same way. Mine only has 3 rows of 3 but I could make another row... I just don't really want to because this is my first quilt and I didn't get all the triangles lined perfectly.I also like how you did the binding. I think you did a beautiful job! I like the idea of putting something soft for the back but I already have fabric picked for the back. Maybe my next quilt I will do that. All my fabrics have been pre-washed but should I pre-wash my batting too? Its some Italian kind since I'm here in Italy. ~ Jeffsweetie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Simple lighting
How to Create Lighting for a Shoot
How to Calibrate your Camera part 1/3
How to Light Wedding Images
How to Create a Portrait With One Light
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...