A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quilt applique help for a newby!  (Read 688 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beledi
« on: May 16, 2009 04:44:22 PM »

Okay, so I've made a couple of quilts before, but I'm feeling intimidated by my next quilt because it involves appliques and I've never done appliqueing before. This one's for my niece and I got a bunch of different types of light blue fabric to make up the background and tons of all sorts of different butterfly appliques. My plan was to just sort of put the butterfly appliques on all over the place, kinda randomly and not too planned, but I'm not sure where to start. The appliques are different shapes and sizes, some of them have fusible stuff on the back and some don't. I don't know where to begin. Should I put the appliques on blocks before I sew them together, or after the rest of the quilt is done? Should I put fabric glue on the ones that don't have fusible stuff on them, and stick them all on and then sew them on? Would it be easier to sew them on by hand or machine - some of them are quite shapely and it seems like it would be hard by machine. But what kind of handstitch would I use? If I do it by hand, is it going to take forever and look sloppy? Do I have to turn the edges under on them? That looks hard. Are there any secret tips to make this go more smoothly? What kind of problems am I going to run into? Any advice would be appreciated!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tedives
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009 11:22:04 PM »

Wow, that is a lot of questions!

It sounds like you need to read up a bit first, try reading these How-Tos first:
http://www.findhow.com/arts/sewing-appliqu.php

and then after weighing your options, if you decide sewing is the right approach to attach the butterfly patches you might check this one out too:
http://www.findhow.com/arts/how-to-prepare-a-patch-for-appliquing.php

After you've whittled down your questions a bit to something more specific, I'd suggest reposting them here, there are tons of great people here on Craftster that can help.

Good luck getting started!

- Ted
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beledi
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009 08:18:23 PM »

Thanks for the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009 05:03:09 PM »

I would do the applique before sewing the blocks together.  It sounds like you have pre-made embroidery type appliques, which would be hard to hand sew.  I would machine applique using the blind hem stitch.  If there are edges to turn under, you could hand applique, turning the edge as you go with your needle, or satin stitch with your machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beledi
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009 02:46:18 AM »

Thanks so much for the advice! I think I will try the blanket stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Egg Drop Soup
How to Make a Banh Mi Sandwich
How to Make Chicken Biryani
How to Make Chicken Tikka Masala
How to Make Fried Rice
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...