A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 316,592
Currently Running With Scissors:
340 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Twilight Kusudama  (Read 674 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grufflepuff
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 28, 2016 01:42:59 PM »

I made this for my partner in the Undercover Fandom Swap! She'd pinned a long-since-sold Etsy listing for a paper flower ball made out of pages from Twilight, and I was totally up for the challenge!

If I remember correctly, the pages didn't come from Twilight, but from Eclipse. I had a very old, very ratty-looking copy from when I got into the series (pretty much when it first came out). I've never been overly wound-up about books (I've been an underliner and a margins-writer for as long as I can remember, and I fold down the corners of my pages, much to the chagrin of my book-worshipping friends), and now that I'm older and more aware of the issues with the Twilight series, I felt no shame in cutting up this book in order to make something truly beautiful.

Folding the individual petals was fun, and after four or five, it pretty much became automatic, so it wasn't nearly as tedious as I thought it would be--I had to fold sixty petals! Then I glued them together in bunches of five, and then I glued those bunches of five into a ball shape. It's not perfect, but it works! I'm thinking about making another one for myself, but then I'm not sure which book (or paper) to use!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for poly-clay earrings: one bacon, one fried egg. Also, a mishmash of red/orange/gold bracelets--beaded, braided, bangles, whatever! If you have the supplies, let's talk! (Please?) I'll swap all kinds of things in return!

http://www.pinterest.com/kaeorin
Patraw

Twilight says wash your screen; it tastes dirty!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016 07:54:37 AM »

Beautifully done, and a great way to re-purpose an old book!  The folded pages within the larger petals gives a very convincing effect.

I never got into Twilight myself; I prefer the classic, remorseless, bloodthirsty-monster interpretation of vampires.

And I am one of those people that you described that gets bent out of shape (pun intended) about the condition of books--I hate creases/bends in the cover/pages, damaged spines, staining, etc., especially when readers do it to library books that aren't even theirs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grufflepuff

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016 09:00:51 AM »

And I am one of those people that you described that gets bent out of shape (pun intended) about the condition of books--I hate creases/bends in the cover/pages, damaged spines, staining, etc., especially when readers do it to library books that aren't even theirs!

Oh, I'd never do that to library books. My own books, sure, but never someone else's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for poly-clay earrings: one bacon, one fried egg. Also, a mishmash of red/orange/gold bracelets--beaded, braided, bangles, whatever! If you have the supplies, let's talk! (Please?) I'll swap all kinds of things in return!

http://www.pinterest.com/kaeorin
blupaisan

Time spent with cats is never wasted.

I Work For Cats

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016 12:53:07 PM »

I was just checking out the Fandom gallery and saw this, then RACED over here to see if by chance you had posted it in Paper Gallery so I could rave about it.
This is incredible!  I read how long it took. It is so perfect. What a stunning piece of work!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bacon-flavored pudding...now, THAT would surprise me.  -Walter
Beautifulsoul

~She believed she could so she did~

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016 03:04:02 PM »

This rocks! Beautifully done! I never would have thought to use pages from a book. I've watched youtube tutorials on how to make similar paper flowers. I never got around to making any. I must try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amber
Interested in Pocket Letter personal swaps. Message me!
titancia
Are you a good twin or a bad twin?

It's Thistle with a Bobo on her head!

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016 11:52:15 AM »

What a beautiful bouquet! I love that you not only made something she wanted, but out of a book she wanted it from, too! That is so wonderful.
I feel the same about Twilight as you do--I am glad I read it so I know what the hype is about, and I think it's great you found something so beautiful to make with it. With that being said, I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan an I PURPOSELY bought a beat up second hand copy of The Goblet of Fire to craft with--it's my favorite book in the series, I have my copy I read on the shelf, but I love crafting with something I love! So once you figure out what you want to make you own out of, keep an eye out at thrift stores and give something there a second life! Then you'll have some left over pages to make another craft with Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...