A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Book of Image Transfer (Haupert)  (Read 890 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twowishes

I am the warden of PUPPY JAIL.

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2005 04:10:51 PM »

So, my Crafters Choice book club keeps managing to suck me back in every time I complete the purchase requirements by offering me those tempting $1 sign-up offers over and over again....  As a result, I've read my share of craft books lately.  "The New Book of Image Transfer," by Debba Haupert (2004) is one of my favorites.

The technology couldn't be simpler ... it's based on transfer paper that you run through your printer or a color copier and then stick onto surfaces ranging from glass (glass bottles, dishware, and the like) to fabric (she shows a shower curtain, silk screen, and pillows) to metal (a variety of metal tins) and even painted walls, rocks, and candles.  Some of the projects in the book aren't for me, but it has a higher "yeah, that would be cool" percentage than a lot of these books.  (I'm a big fan of the dishware, like glass bottles with flowers or whatnot and little white sushi plates with realistic-looking sushi.)  But the main value of the book was just showing me that the technology is out there and giving me inspiration to get started coming up with ideas of my own.

Definitely recommended.  Unfortunately it's $24.95, but there's always the public library!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So I finally started a blog.... 
verbminx
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005 09:53:33 PM »

I did get this from the public library, but it was some time ago, so I can't recall it in great detail.

It's not a bad book, and there are some cool ideas in it. However, since it's basically a project book for Lasertran (correct me if I'm misremembering), it doesn't really touch on many of the ways to do image transfers, and the title is kind of a misnomer. It's just about one type of image transfer.

But yeah, I have to agree, even if you don't like the projects... if you are a crafty-type person who likes to know about materials and, beyond that, has lots of ideas on your own, it's an interesting book to at least look through. Using the techniques in it will definitely help you to customize your environment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
norsgoebel

the cutest of the 7 deadly sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005 03:53:14 PM »

synchronicity!  I just finished this project today using Lazertran.  I've only used this brand but I know they also have a Lazertran silk that is supposed to set with a clear backing where this type I used dries with a milky background.  I like it OK, anyone used any other brands of transfer decal type papers?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a peek!
http://www.polytypicarts.etsy.com

2 sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm sh*tfaced...N.P.
JenRed
Smartypants

I wish I could defrag my brain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005 07:05:21 PM »

I haven't used this product yet (just doing some research here at good ol' craftster first!) but in my reading I saw that you have to do something extra first to avoid the milky background. 

Go here:  http://www.lazertran.com/New%20Site%20folder/New%20Site/instructions.html and right at the very bottom it says this:

If you want the decal to be clear then there are 2 ways to do this.

Apply two even coat s of oil based varnish to the image and allow to dry before soaking in water. The decal may need a third coat of varnish to make sure the whole image is penetrated with varnish.

hope that helps!

Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RED INSTEAD handmade - handcrafted bags, clothing, cards, jewellery, art and textiles

RED INSTEAD blog - my arty / crafty blog
Sadie
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005 11:25:38 PM »

Hi!  Thanks for the review; funny thing is, I just ordered the book online thru Zooba just a few minutes ago, before I saw your recommendation.  I read reviews on Amazon and they were all very positive, but it was a relief to see your review! (ordering books online without previewing them is such a risk!).   

Now, to get on my soapbox - WHY oh WHY can't we have more 'cool' craft books?  So many of the U.S. crafting books are dowdy with dull as dirt pictures, unlike Japanese craft books (which are just impossible to get here in the U.S.) which (from what I can see online) seem to have amazing projects and gorgeous, inspiring photography.    Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lauriegirl18
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007 12:05:22 PM »

I love decorating glasses and wanted to get into image transfer for them and I randomly stubled onto this book at a craft store. It looked awesome and everything seemed so easy. So, I bought the book. The book really is a good book and very informative the only problem is finding the Lazertran paper that you must have for the projects. I haven't been able to find any, anywhere! I am so tired of looking. And yes, you can buy it online but it's pretty expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Accordion File from Envelopes
How to Make Trinket Melt-and-Pour Soap
How to Make a Paper Wallet
How to Make Fake Vomit
How to Carve a Pumpkin
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...