A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,935
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Melted bead necklace  (Read 8072 times)
Tags for this thread: melted_bead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fassett_kelly
Mental Patient

"You'll have to call back Monday..."

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2009 11:37:13 AM »

Hi all-

I had found out on Craigslist that you could melt pony beads.  So I came here looking to tutorials.  Lots of great things running around out there.  So I made a necklace of my own.  Sorry for the picture quality.

There are a few more pics in my craftster thingy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thanks,

Rhalina
craftydebs

Just too busy being fabulous!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009 12:14:36 PM »

That is pretty cool!  How did you get the plastic to shape that way?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you be in heaven for thirty minutes before the devil even knows you are dead.- Old Irish Toast

http://wists.com/craftydebs
nuttyrunner1
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009 12:46:01 PM »

That is pretty cool!  How did you get the plastic to shape that way?

Yeah, how DO you melt them???
Thx Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wasabipeasrule

Nuffin' but muffins

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009 12:48:35 PM »

Haha I was wondering that myself. I'd love to try something like this, yours looks so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Um, hi everyone, I'm sarah, and I'm a craftaholic...
fassett_kelly
Mental Patient

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009 02:18:41 PM »

Cool beans!

If you google "Melted Pony Beads" you'll get a few results.  If you go a craftster search, you'll find tutorials on here.  What I did was find a cookie cutter.  I have an oval one that I got from Joann Fabrics, it's a Wilson's fondant cutter.  I then lined a baking pan with foil.  So I put a single layer of beads in the oval and replaced one bead with the eyelet.  I then turned the oven to 400 degrees and baked them for about 20 minutes.  I checked every 10 minutes to see if they were ready.  Take 'em out when your satisfied and let them cool.  Do not run them over water, you'll crack them.

When you melt them they don't turn to liquid, at least at that temperature.  They turn kinda gooey.  So you'll keep an eye on them and depending on when you want to take them out, you'll have different textures.  The longer they're in the smoother they get.  Keep in mind they can burn, my first blue pendent piece burnt. 

There are fumes that are given off, so you might want to turn on a fan and open a window.  I think with the size of my project, it wasn't really stinky.

As for the eyelets, I got those in the scrapbook section of Joanns.  They beads are regular pony beads that were in the kids section.  Anything made from cheap plastic should melt, army men, legos, etc.  I had some seed beads and those didn't melt even though they're plastic.  I think it's a different type or something....

But yeah, have fun.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thanks,

Rhalina
echo_brook
Mollusks inhabit the soft parts of my heart.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009 02:33:38 PM »

Oh my goodness. I was going to post a question about what to do with pony beads. I must have ten million of them that I have had sitting around since I was a little girl. Now I know what to do with them. Thank you for sharing! And thank you for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Newly moved to the Tri Valley area (Dublin, CA) and would love to meet craftsters here. Please don't be shy about PMing me.

http://www.wists.com/echo_brook

I do personal swaps.
fassett_kelly
Mental Patient

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009 03:31:30 PM »

Notta problem.

I had a lot of fun doing it.  But I only have a small bag of those two colors and only 3 oval cutters.  So I can't make different shapes and stuff, not till payday.  It's a fairly cheap (money wise) craft.  I had the cutters, but I priced them again and they were 2.99, the beads (I got them at Patacans) were about 80 cent for a 100 of them, and then there was the the eyelets were 2.99 and the cord (black cotton) was 1.49.  So for under $10.00  I have enough for 3 or so necklaces, maybe a few more if I don't layer them.

Oh and with the layering, they are two seperate pieces.  Each have their own eyelet and then I just strung them together.

/wave

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thanks,

Rhalina
fassett_kelly
Mental Patient

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009 05:48:13 PM »

One last one to post:

I need to change out the cording, I want it thicker than what it is.  Over all it looks nice.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thanks,

Rhalina
egg_salady
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009 11:49:56 AM »

That's amazing that came from a pony bead!  These would look great as earrings too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fassett_kelly
Mental Patient

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009 11:49:58 AM »

That's amazing that came from a pony bead!  These would look great as earrings too.

Yes they would, with the fondant cutters I used, it came with three different sizes.  Depending how big you like you earrings, you could go with those the length of the pendent or even smaller to about an inch (maybe a little less) big.  Now I am not very familiar with jewelry, I just kinda throw together, so I can't tell you how to attach them as earrings.

Oh also.  A saudering (sp) gun will melt the plastic as well.  Before I had the eyelets I used my saudering (sp) gun to make a hole.  As long as you make it clean, the "nub" end will come off if you squeeze it with a pair of pliers.

Best of luck and remember "fondant cutters"!  If your lucky enough to have a Pat Catans around, I found a few different fondant cutter shapes for about $0.50 less than Joanns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thanks,

Rhalina
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Malaika Firth Model Profile - Interview & Runway
Under Eye Tightening DIY
Sneak Peek: Birchbox July 2014
5 Must-Have Waterproof Makeup Products
What Products to Use and Avoid When You Have Sunburn
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...