A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Record bowls, easiest gift ever!  (Read 102501 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bowl  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amberiq
« Reply #260 on: July 01, 2005 06:28:16 AM »

can the oven still be used for baking food stuff? wont the record give out some sort of poisonous substance when heated or smth like that?

sorry if this has been posted in the past 20+ pages. i did not haf the patience to read through them Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For fashion, photography, DIY postings: http://mayotuna.blogspot.com
punky_smurf

the one and only

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: July 15, 2005 12:17:29 PM »

You have an extremely clean oven. Kudos.

-Leah xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

viciouskittie
one crafty bitch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #262 on: July 16, 2005 02:47:17 AM »

can the oven still be used for baking food stuff? wont the record give out some sort of poisonous substance when heated or smth like that?

sorry if this has been posted in the past 20+ pages. i did not haf the patience to read through them Tongue

ive made 2 records a little bit ago now, and have used my oven...so far im not glowing, or growing a third arm... but it is a good question!!! id like to know too!! i just baked some clay in the oven last night, and wondered the same question..i always think about the health stuff after im done and its too late..

how long does it take you guys who use the water to get it flimsey enough to bend? and are you just using water from the tap? or boiling it? thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hi my names kate, and im a craft addict..

www.wists.com/veganedgekate
faithonfire
« Reply #263 on: July 17, 2005 02:43:46 PM »

if any of you are encountering stinky ovens, that would probably be the fumes being released by the melting stuff. i would reccomend you not to leave it in the oven for so long, that stuff is pretty dang bad for you!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Texasladi
« Reply #264 on: July 21, 2005 04:58:05 AM »

Ok, this was just too cool and since I have several hundred records or more (I collect any I find) I decided to try this. First I couldn't make myself ruin anything weird or well known or decent...(I have some very odd records, that's why I like'em) Anyway, found a few that were already warped or had a crack...since I don't have propane right now, I don't have an oven so I tried the microwave method...After 5 mins nothing but I could smell it burning so I lifted it up and there was a melted spot about the size of a quarter where the label is...nothing else was soft, not sure what made that one spot melt Huh I'll try again with another record, and will try the hot water method. I really wanna make these  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Boomverlee

USA's FIRST BABY BOOMER

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 24, 2005 11:22:37 AM »

Scanned most of the pages and didn't see this--which seems such an obvious idea to me:  (I plan to make a few of the clocks this week for my grandkids.)

MAKE YOUR OWN CUSTOM RECORD LABELS.  You don't have to be very good at using a computer graphics program to design, print and cut out personaliized "record labels."  (Though I also have a nifty little program to make CD/DVD labels.)  Put your own photographs on them, make up the name of the song/album.  Don't "really" melt that especially meaningful record--FAKE IT.  Want a collection of Elvis singles?  Well, just do it!!!  If you are artistic paiint or draw the labels.  I use the computer for all my graphics now that I've had a few small strokes and have almost no fine motor control.

NOTE RE: FUMES.  I am going to use only the boiling water and sunshine methods.  You are very definitely putting gas fumes into your ovens and house making these.  The most common gas would be CHLORINE or another halogen, ALL POISONOUS.  I am thinking that the water/sink method would wash most of the released gas down the drain.  Of course, chlorine and its sibling gases readily dissolve in water.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brokendove
« Reply #266 on: July 24, 2005 08:57:09 PM »

These are fantastic for 60's parties...

Here is the one I made.... I was thinking about making some sort of candle holder out of one but still in the thinking process

http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=621
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Website is
http://www.Craftbits.com
http://www.Craftbits.com.au
& now www.craftgossip.com

Free & Funky Craft Projects
Step by Step instructions
Soap & Beauty Recipes
Knitting & Sewing Projects
and 1000's more projects
thecynthesizer

No llamas, but I've got goats and sheep

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 31, 2005 05:42:15 AM »

I started fiddling around with my own record bowls last night.  I used the hot water method because of the possibility of fumes.  I'm not sure how other people are doing the hot water method but tried a lot of different procedures before I found one that makes them look almost exactly like the oven ones (nice and deep).

Find a bowl with a mouth that is just slightly more wide than the record.
Place the record on the mouth of the bowl (bowl is right-side up).
Boil a pot of water.
Pour the water on top of the record.
Push the record into the bowl, manipulate edges with gloved hands.

The soft record will sink down into the bowl thanks to gravity, and start to take that bowl-ish shape.  An extra shove downward with help this.  Then, when you've pushed the record down into the bowl, it'll still be sitting in the hot water, giving you extra time to fiddle with the edges while it's still soft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are not alive yesterday, you are not alive tommorrow, but you're alive at the moment; if you can grab something for that moment...you have a chance." - Johnny X
cydniey

a fabulous disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: August 01, 2005 08:30:58 AM »

I want to make a smooth record bowl....and i"ve heard that you can't...but I was wondering if I made like four triangle cuts in the bowl then let it melt over the bowl would that work? 

has anyone tried this?  or has anyone been able to make the smooth record bowl?

i've finally figured out you need a vacuum forming machine (do a google, there are industrial models to do it yourself home models out there). i'm trying to find a place locally that has one that will let me buy a bit of time on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cydniey

a fabulous disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: August 01, 2005 08:37:05 AM »

had to add my own creations:

i used a variety of glass bowls, platters and stainless steel bowls. i like to squish the sides in instead of leaving them flared out, except on the platters. i also use an oven with good ventillation and a heat gun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
how to Bring Drawings to Life Part 1/2 - Adobe After Effects
how to Bring Drawings to Life Part 2/2 - Adobe After Effects
How to Create someone Firing a Gun - Scratch
How to Use Shadow Boxes - Dreamweaver
How to Create a Glossy Textured X - Adobe Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...