A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 305,038
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Record bowls, easiest gift ever!  (Read 102929 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bowl  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kymberlee

I craft, therefore I am

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2004 03:22:48 PM »

Thank you so much for posting this awesome idea! Right after reading it, I made one! I glued some flat marbles with colored paper on the bottom to make it flashy  Wink
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004 10:56:15 AM by Kymberlee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
melikeketchup
lover of all things fabulous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2004 09:02:16 AM »

well here's my experience of my first time making record bowls!
(and this is my first post, so let's hope i figure this out right!)

i put it over the bowl..

and then i flipped it over and put it inside!

( i have a cheat-thing.. i think it's a taco shell maker or something, but it's already the perfect size and shape to make the bowls from! )

and the finished products

(the pictures do NO JUSTICE!!  sorry for the graininess!)

and now i'm making the clocks and lots of money!  haha.  i guess people liked them so much, everyone is trying to buy them from me.  also, i've been playing around with the idea of making something from the album cover, cause now i have a lot of them!  i'm thinking scrapbook, but if anyone else has any ideas, please let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

monkeyrocker
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2004 07:53:55 PM »

http://www.eco-artware.com/catalog/bowls-baskets.shtml

has anyone ever attempted the "perfect shape" of these record bowls? how do you think you could attain that?

I've been experimenting a bit tonight...I want to try some more experiments.  I was thinking that if you have a bowl with a lip and you clamp the record to the lip and then put something weighted in the middle (perhaps an identical bowl even? with dried beans or rice in it?) then heat, the record would stretch into the shape you want? I think the bowl would have to be fairly shallow...I'm going to the thrift store some time in the next week and I'll see if I can find a set of bowls and try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it. --Mae West
fly

Okie Dokie Artichokie!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2004 10:49:26 PM »

Since noone said this...
A good sealant is available at walmart or wherever... If you go to walmart it's usually next to the mod podge.

Comes in a spray can, it's just a clear sealant.  It's available glossy and matte..

You don't want to use just mod podge because if it gets wet, or even too terribly hot, the stuff gets tacky again.  (we learned this the hard way... )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who hold on to broken dreams often get cut by their sharp edges.
bluegum

Deranged Speed Knitting

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2004 12:00:57 AM »

Ok i have lost my mind.  I have spend a total of about 3.5 hours looking at this post and after church i think me and jesse are going to do this thing  Wink.  Lol i'm so stoked wish me luck. oh and as for the hole(so this isn't a totaly dumb post) could you take a bit of another record and melt it in to the hole???  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if i could be anything i'd be your tear/because i was born in your eye/lived in you cheek/and died on your lip
fly

Okie Dokie Artichokie!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2004 01:54:39 PM »

I don't even see why you'd need to fill it in.. What would you want to put in there that's small enough to go through it?

Guess what I bought today, though...
And OMG.. Went looking for cool records  -  you know, stuff so you could say look at the record I used...  Found one that I can't bear to melt...  Duran Duran.. lol.. I'm going to hang it on my wall somehow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amareluna
Head Nerd at Nyxia's Lair

~It is we who make our destiny, not the stars~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2004 02:14:21 PM »

I've gotten about eight of those "OMG HOW IN THE HECK CAN I BEAR TO MELT THIS?!?!?" records from good will now...

I'm thinking of a wall o records...kinda tic tac toe-ish..

o being a record, x being the cover off one

x o x o x
o x o x o
x o x o x

Not sure if I want to frame them, or if I want to just hang them as is in the pattern....hmm....

~wanders off muttering to herself~
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fly

Okie Dokie Artichokie!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2004 02:52:34 PM »

That would be kinda cool.. I just kinda want to hang this one for now, though.. Unless I manage to find some cool 80s/90s records elsewhere...  

If you figure out how to hang them without doing something permanent to mar the cover, will you let me know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fly

Okie Dokie Artichokie!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2004 07:33:37 PM »

Okay, guys... After going to both goodwill and the salvation army, I ended up with two records that were 75 cents plus tax.  One was the Duran Duran one (see above post) the other one was classical music performed by the Cleveland Symphony.  I didn't know that at the time, but I'm born and raised an hour from Cleveland, so it's really cool to have that as a little touch of home to take with me when I move to Nashville in May.
Anyway, stuck it in the oven on top of my pyrex.  I don't have a window on my oven, so I had to keep opening it every 2 minutes to check... Took it out, flipped the bowl and tried to stuff it in... ooops.. took it out too early.. Left it like it was and stuck it in again for a little longer... all said it was about 6 minutes...  
Wish I could show you guys pictures.  

Very cool project guys!  Now I have to see what other records I can get!  This is my favorite new craft!!!!!  I think that for christmas, I'm going to use these for anyone I give a gift card or jewelry to... put the card/jewelry in a little box in the center, cheap candy (like mini candy canes or something) all around it...  Then wrap it up so no one can see what it is... I like doing different presentations, but I don't like to do something where the person might not like it and get rid of it.  At least if it's one of these it's not a big deal!

Oh, and as for the kitten koozie idea... I'm going to leave it on the floor tonight and see if Daizey takes a nap in it or not.  I tried to get her to lay in it and she hopped right out.  Although she does fit.. A large kitten would have a tight squeeze...

I think I have a new favorite craft!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004 07:46:26 PM by fly » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fly

Okie Dokie Artichokie!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2004 01:08:20 PM »

For whoever suggested letting kittens sleep in these..  I've encountered a problem...  Both of the kittens went right up to the bowls, got in them, and then tried to eat them... Since we don't know what's in them, it's probably bad for them to chew on the edges!  

Although Daizey is happyly asleep in her bowl.  (She's been sleeping for about an hour all curled up)...Her sister, though, is too big to curl up in it.  (seven weeks old this friday)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Are Robots The Key To Battling Hair Loss?
Celebrity Horror Hairstyles
Pixie Perfect Celebrity Haircuts
How To Make Your Blowout Last Longer
Try Hair Gloss For Shiny Locks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...