A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Record bowls, easiest gift ever!  (Read 102097 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bowl  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grasshopper

Do you like me? Make an assessment.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #220 on: January 24, 2005 04:44:13 PM »

Minwax!  Minwax is the way to go to varnish the labels!  My kitchen floor is covered in bowls right now- awaiting their trip to the boutique that sells my junk for me.  I put a thin coat on the label on each side of the record- then I put E6000 (my favorite!!) in the hole and polyurethaned both sides again.  The good part is that the Minwax is food-safe (according to the 1-800 lady I talked to on the phone.)  Not sure about the E6000 but figure the Minwax seals it...I'll let you know if I keel over after eating my Cocoa Pebbles!   Smiley  I think they probably make a better chip or candy bowl!  Hope this helps! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The time has come
The walrus said
To talk of many things-
Of shoes and ships and sealing wax-
Of cabbages and kings.
And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
iampoison
Tutorial Contributor

Just a jersey girl without the acid wash.

"I believe you are in league with the butcher..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: January 31, 2005 07:57:52 PM »

I add a little something to my record bowls,using felt and those glass marbles that most people use to make magnets, as well as paper of my choice...
I cut out a circle of felt and glue it to the bottom of my bowl, then i glue 3-4 Marble feet onto the bottom of that. I also Varnish/modge podge images into the centers... I'll post some pictures to give you an idea as to what i am ramble'n on about ^_^;
here's a few i made (the checkerboard pattern one was the first one i made)

inside

bottom

inside (made this one to sell.. but fell in love with it)

bottom

inside (made this one for my mom, she thought the little doggie was cute so i left him as is)

bottom (3-feet)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just got flaked on for personal swaps so I am taking a break. ^_^; sorry everyone.
my shop: http://poisonandantidote.etsy.com/
eBay ID: rusty_buttons
My DA: http://chat-noir.deviantart.com/
My LJ: http://apatheticpoison.livejournal.com/
My wists: http://www.wists.com/iampoison
tawnisw
Productivity is the key to wisdom.

Experiment, Practice, Learn, Teach (& sell often)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: February 16, 2005 06:16:15 PM »

did you put a cookie sheet over the top of it while it was in the oven?  I didn't read all 15 pages of replies, so hopefully noone already asked you, I just like the pictures...  and tutorials...  and the fact that in crafters.org world we all share our wonderful ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing oneself to make mistakes, art is knowing which ones to keep.
Scott Adams

www.tawnismoon.etsy.com

Stop by my website and tell me what you think by signing the guestbook!
ms shell

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 28, 2005 11:44:57 AM »

in regards to the safety issue of making record bowls-
i don't know if anyone has actually answered this question cause i don't really feel like reading 15 pages worth, but records are made of VINYL. vinyl is made of PVC (polyvinyl chloride) which at extreme temperatures is very dangerous because it releases a toxin called dioxin. i wouldn't necessarily worry too much about your dioxin intake with this particular project, because it isn't really that hot. but you will have some dioxin exposure, but probably not anymore than you would get from eating a meal or using a tampon. but the thing about dioxins is it is accumalative and builds up in fatty tissues. most people aren't ever expose to large amounts of dioxins at one point, its the build up of dioxins in our bodies which has been linked to cancers, birth defects, asthsma and other health problems. i would definately not recommend eating out of a record bowl because it could easily leak into our food and honestly, our food has enough toxins (including dioxin) already.

so basically, it wont kill you, but it isn't exactly healthy either. personally, i love making these so much, its a risk i'm gonna have to take.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ohsaysaysay
« Reply #224 on: April 02, 2005 01:29:19 PM »

I want to make a smooth record bowl....and i"ve heard that you can't...but I was wondering if I made like four triangle cuts in the bowl then let it melt over the bowl would that work? 

has anyone tried this?  or has anyone been able to make the smooth record bowl?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: April 16, 2005 06:19:30 PM »

I want to make a smooth record bowl....and i"ve heard that you can't...but I was wondering if I made like four triangle cuts in the bowl then let it melt over the bowl would that work? 

has anyone tried this?  or has anyone been able to make the smooth record bowl?
  I don't really think the edges would melt together and be very sturdy, someone here on craftster DID make a smooth one though, they just left in in for too long, and it melted down nice and smooth,
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
rainbow_art

taste the rainbow

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 22, 2005 12:43:14 PM »

I think these bowls are amazing and when i buy records this weekend i will definately try making one of these  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fabricfightsfire
« Reply #227 on: April 28, 2005 04:19:27 PM »

Those are awesome but i have one suggestion.... instead of molding them on top of a bowl, why not just push thenm inside? It seems easier..... oh and iampoison... I luv ure bowls!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
loreliloalyn

Invite Fascism.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: May 01, 2005 02:34:52 PM »

does anyone have a tute on the cd bowls?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dinosaurshateemo
« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2005 07:45:27 AM »

basically you preheat your oven to 200, put a metal bowl [about the size of the label on the record] on a cookie sheet and put the bowl on top of that. after 5 minutes in the oven, you flip the record [which will be flopping down over the first bowl] into a larger bowl and start manipulating it into your desired shape. if you're not happy with it, simply put it back in the oven for a little while longer. its that easy!

i made a styx bowl.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 36 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Flowers Appear to Float in This Ripple Contraption
Design Concept Envisions Semi-Invisible Structures
Sleep Like a Bird in Nests for Humans
Luxury Jaw-Dropping Pool Proposals
Floating Jellyfish Skyscraper Design Concept
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...