A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 303,094
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Record bowls, easiest gift ever!  (Read 109270 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bowl  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Save the Sea Turtles

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 06, 2005 07:55:17 AM »

Record bowls are so fun and so easy.  They're good for me too because its not that likely that you'll get burned.
Here is one i made.
I like finding ones that have fitting sayings on them and then giving them as presents to specific people
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005 11:04:35 AM by ash_a007 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

\          /     |***    -----|       /\      | \    |
   \     /       |***    |  --       /-- \    |   \  |
     \ /         |****  |----|     /     \   |    \ |
« Reply #231 on: May 07, 2005 02:34:48 PM »

AHH!!! this was so amazingly awesome i have to make like 50! Wink  this is the first time ive replyed to anything, but gosh this thing was so cool, and i could make a perfect gift for a friend.!  ;DThanks for Sharing

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #232 on: May 07, 2005 10:17:44 PM »

To reply #13 about what to use to wipe it clean:

MOD PODGE gloss-lustre by PLAID (i'm sure everyone here knows mod podge by heart)

I used it. It worked marvelously.  I made thick wire stems, felt leaves, and tiny (45s) record flowers and put them in a vase.  I also did what you did and put plastic liners in them and use them for my pots.  Now my clay pots are "hip."
 Roll Eyes

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
« Reply #233 on: May 08, 2005 10:58:00 AM »

i didnt realize how easy this project really is. i guess i have no excuse not to do it now Smiley
« Reply #234 on: May 13, 2005 02:27:32 PM »

after 5 minutes in the oven, you flip the record [which will be flopping down over the first bowl] into a larger bowl and start manipulating it into your desired shape. if you're not happy with it, simply put it back in the oven for a little while longer. its that easy!

don't even flip it over! just take the bigger bowl upside-down and smush it on top of the record that is flopping over the smaller bowl!
you know those mixing bowls you have? metal or glass, they all nest in eachother because they decrease in size... go get two of the bowls that fit eachother and use them

Dance like no ones watching

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 13, 2005 03:09:17 PM »

I always leave it laying over the bowl and use my hands to shape it how i want...it is a little hot but it holds usually once you put it there...i just like the waves to be somewhat even and it usually melts into 4 i like 6 so just a few pinches and it works great!

I'm Straight NOT Narrow
Rainbows make me happy
« Reply #236 on: May 19, 2005 08:02:18 PM »

I really want to try this and i have hundreds of records (not exaggerating). My dad would kill me if I melted one though. I guess I'm going to Goodwill soon!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: May 22, 2005 05:02:54 AM »

After all this talk about vinyl records does anyone have an idea for cd's...I have so many accumulating..and being the packrat recylcer I am, I hate to get rid of them?

Save the Sea Turtles

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 22, 2005 04:53:37 PM »

I thought I was quite experienced with record bowl making until i melted one yesterday.  It was a reshaping, one i had already made and well it really really melted.  I guess I left it in a little too long especially considering i usually heat them at 400 degrees instead of 200.  Anyways it actually turned out pretty cool. everything seeped together and it looks more like a real bowl, i know there was convo about those ones that are sold commercially and it actually turned out a little like those.  I will post a pick later if i can.  If anyone is interested its kind of a riskay process I guess i you wanted to do it purposely, you'd have to be willing to possible loos your "shaping" bowl as well as the record.  I think now though i would do it again.  After it totally melted "by melted i mean dripping kind of" i put it in the fridge and it hardeded.  I was acutally afraid i was going to loose the record and the bowl but all is good now!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005 03:52:56 PM by ash_a007 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

\          /     |***    -----|       /\      | \    |
   \     /       |***    |  --       /-- \    |   \  |
     \ /         |****  |----|     /     \   |    \ |
« Reply #239 on: May 24, 2005 03:40:00 PM »

that is so completely awesome. i might take your idea for the christmas presents.. would make a good chip bowl.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hilary Weisman Graham on Her Book Reunited
Bremmer on His Book Every Nation For Itself in a G-Zero World
Sequels: Do You Need to Read the First Book?
M.O.M. (Mom Operating Manual) Book Trailer
“Big Blue Ball”: A Poem Read by Amy Brenneman
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clever Containers for Cuttings
September 30, 2015 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Spiral Veggies Recipes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...